Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Hybrid Stam / Magika Sorcerer

Rizz_the_Filthy_Dino
Hey guys, so I am working on a hybrid stamina / magicka build for PvP. I know a lot of you will be skeptical that hybrid builds just don't work, and I'd normally agree with you, except I might have something here. Hear me out and have an open mind!

This is my build.

The build revolves around heavy damage, which can work for both physical and magicka-based attacks. Taking that into account, this build tries to take advantage of buffs and debuffs that allow me to maximize my light and heavy attacks.
  • Skill #1: Pierce Armor - Debuffs with both Major Fracture and Major Breech, allowing me to penetrate my target's defenses.
  • Skill #2: Shielded Assault - My gap closer ability which lets me complete light and heavy attacks in the enemy's face whilst also stunning on contact. Also provides a small shield buff for 6 seconds, every bit counts eh. Mainly slotted for the gap closing potential.
  • Skill #3: Critical Surge - Gives me Major Brutality, increasing weapon damage by 20%. This skill also lets me heal significantly when I crit. When I was running 2H, I used "Critical Rush" as my gap closer which always landed a critical hit 100% of the time, which allowed Critical Surge to heal me. I've since switched to sword and shield, you'll see why below.
  • Skill #4: Camouflaged Hunter - A really costly ability; however, I'm slotting this because of the "while slotted" bonuses which is extremely nice. I gain Major Savagery at all time while this skill is slotted, which gives me a higher weapon critical chance. Additionally, if I'm crouching and crit (again, very nice for critical rush which always lands a crit!), I gain minor berserk which increases damage by 8%. Major Savagery helps with the synergy between Critical Surge.
  • Skill #5: Bound Armaments - Gives me nice physical resistance because of Minor Resolve; however, this is more or less slotted because of the 11% damage increase with Heavy attacks and the 5% increase to my stamina pool.
  • Ultimate: Energy Overload - An extremely easy ultimate to achieve at all times, and deals both AOE and Single Target damage. I slotted this because both types of damage are either light or heavy attacks.

So you may be wondering, or just plain confused why go hybrid at all? Why have physical damaging skills on my bar, or even focus on heavy swings with your weapons when you have a magicka-based Ultimate like Power Overload? It's entirely because of my three sets -- yes, three because of Sword and Shield!

First Set: Pelinal's Aptitude - "Your Weapon Damage and Spell Damage both become the highest of the two values."
What this means is if I have a higher physical damage stat or higher magicka damage stat, the lower matches the higher. If a buff raises one's damage, the other is also raised with it. I am very tempted to run the "Power Surge" morph over the "Critical Surge" morph because Power Surge gives both Major Brutality and Major Sorcery. I am curious to see if both stats are affected at the same time by these two buffs because of Pelinal's Aptitude's set bonus. This set can be crafted and has been for me so far for testing. :)

Second Set: Queen's Elegance - "Increases your Light and Heavy Attack damage by 20%."
This set further increases my damage with both physical light and heavy attacks, as well as the damage from Energy Overload. Without taking the 40% from CP (20% + 20%), I am right now at 30% increased light and heavy attack damage. That's pretty significant with energy overload! I should note that at first glance, this looks like a strictly Light Armor set; however, you can run two rings, a necklace, sword, and shield!

Third Set: Molag Kena - "When you deal damage with 2 consecutive Light Attacks you trigger Overkill for 6 seconds, which increases your Weapon and Spell Damage by 516 but also increases the cost of your abilities by 33%."
This is a two item monster set, and it works exceedingly well with Energy Overload. The light attack of Energy Overload is the single target and it hits like a truck, this buff should make it hit like a train I'd think. I don't have this set yet, so I'm unsure how consequential 516 weapon and spell damage is; however, if I am 100% right about how the set bonus of Pelinal's Aptitude works, both of those perks should affect my overall damage output.

I obviously have quite a bit to work out with the wrinkles in this build; however, it looks really fun and could work wonders! What are your thoughts?
PC-NA
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks interesting, tell us how it goes.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First off, the set does bonus prior to making wpn and spl DMG the same. So you only want buffs that buff your higher stat.

Personally I just run Alchemist over Pelinal because it raises both during burst anyway. But that's just a suggestion.

So are you primarily Magicka or primarily stamina?
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Didaco
    Didaco
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pelinal's won't raise your damage further, I already tried it.
  • Mivryna
    Mivryna
    ✭✭✭
    Your ability damage scales on both the damage stat AND your attribute.

The damage coefficient is roughly (Max Stamina + Weapon Damage × 10.5). And of course magicka paired with spell damage.

So if you're missing out on any attributes, you will do significantly less damage. The extra pool just isn't worth it.
    Edited by Mivryna on April 29, 2017 1:03PM
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand why this is a hybrid. I see no magica-based damaging abilities in here.. Unless you are confused about overload.. Being an ulti it uses whichever stat is highest.. So can be based off wpn DMG and Max stam.
    Edited by Biro123 on April 30, 2017 5:19PM
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Biro123 wrote: »
    I don't understand why this is a hybrid. I see no magica-based damaging abilities in here.. Unless you are confused about overload.. Being an ulti it uses whichever stat is highest.. So can be based off wpn DMG and Max stam.

Well the fact there is only one skill bar listed should tell you a lot.

I believe OP is very new.

I don't believe he has unlocked a second bar? (Or is trying to throw out an idea)

Also there is no Overload bar when Overload is listed

:Shrug:
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Rizz_the_Filthy_Dino
    Biro123 wrote: »

Well the fact there is only one skill bar listed should tell you a lot.

I believe OP is very new.

I don't believe he has unlocked a second bar? (Or is trying to throw out an idea)

Also there is no Overload bar when Overload is listed

:Shrug:

I haven't planned out the second bar you tool.
    PC-NA
  • Mivryna
    Mivryna
    ✭✭✭
    I could imagine a Pelinal's set working for a Magicka build as a pseudo-hybrid. Stack weapon damage and magicka for high powered spells. However, it will be missing all the benefits of light armour.

I've done this before, and it works only slightly worse than a traditional build.