The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Custom Sets (Originally Posted in the Crafting forum)

BoxFoxx
BoxFoxx
✭✭✭
I wanted to post this here to get feedback from the PvP community since it would affect many players there even though it is related to crafting.

I had an idea last night before bed. It came after hearing various news about top ESO gamers deciding to leave and play other MMOs. A comment from one of them had to do with the amount of time involved in mindless, hit or miss, grinding just to obtain desired armour.

So why not have the option to create custom sets for master crafters?

What I mean by custom sets is the ability to create your own armour where you can apply any bonus associated with having 2, 3, 4 or 5 items.

How would this be done?

Research.

Just as when you research traits, you can research bonuses (or whatever Bethesda/ZOS wants to name them) based on the already existing set armour you find. If ZOS wants to make it more complex, they can have you need to obtain a special item that can only be used once per each bonus item researched, like a special crystal or something and make the skill un-lockable when you reach CP 600 (which you deserve at that point).

Make jewellery craftable as well, perhaps under the enchanting skill line.

Who wants to keep grinding repetitively just to hope to find the gear you're looking for to have fun playing the parts of the game that you truly want to play.

Think of the unique builds there would be out there too!!! It'd be killer.

Don't jump to the conclusion that this would make players over-powered. Nearly all of the possible combinations are out there anyway. The players that want to min/max will min/max. With custom sets, you can compete not just on luck of finding a better piece of armour.

Think of economics too! Guild traders will have more desirable items available meaning less overpriced items and more transactions for the guild store. It's a win/win.

Give it some thought... it could make things pretty fun and great!
Edited by BoxFoxx on April 25, 2017 1:33PM
  • Jsmalls
    Jsmalls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As cool as it sounds it would be brokenly Overpowered =/ most sets have drawbacks in their 2,3, and 4th bonuses. Like Lich for example, 2 recoveries within it's bonuses and a massive 5th bonus recovery. Imagine if it were magicka, spell damage, and magicka. Suddenly this set is waaay over the top (more so than it already is) and it would over great damage AND sustain in one set.

So while it sounds like fun on paper, putting it into play would just create a higher damage threshold that we really don't need.
  • BoxFoxx
    BoxFoxx
    ✭✭✭
    Jsmalls wrote: »
    As cool as it sounds it would be brokenly Overpowered =/ most sets have drawbacks in their 2,3, and 4th bonuses. Like Lich for example, 2 recoveries within it's bonuses and a massive 5th bonus recovery. Imagine if it were magicka, spell damage, and magicka. Suddenly this set is waaay over the top (more so than it already is) and it would over great damage AND sustain in one set.

So while it sounds like fun on paper, putting it into play would just create a higher damage threshold that we really don't need.

I get your point there man... personally I think that those kind of issues in PvP shouldn't be fixed by limiting the potential of player builds but rather by applying stat caps and cooldowns in Cyrodiil.

*For example: Capping spell damage at 2500 and having a shared cooldown of 4 seconds for all damage shield activation to limit the stacking a bit. That's just a random example, not necessarily hardlined, but you get my drift. This is only in Cyrodiil mind you, a builds full potential should be completely unleashed in PvE.
    Edited by BoxFoxx on April 26, 2017 8:13AM
  • aLi3nZ
    aLi3nZ
    ✭✭✭✭
    It could be implemented, just allow for 1 5 set bonus per crafted set. I would go with necropotence and change to a custom amberplasm like set where it's all +967 magika and the last bonus +299 magika and stam recovery. Max magika would be insane and recovery will be needed come the morrowind patch.
  • Rickter
    Rickter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    as the first response pointed out - this would be OP. the whole point is to research and be thoughtful in your decision on which sets to utilize. Custom sets take all of that planning and meta out with everyone just stacking the best stat combinations.

as far as stat caps and limitations in cyrodiil - that would force more calculation load on the campaign servers and take more and more away from pvp. soon we'll just be heavy attacking. . . . oh wait. .
    RickterESO
    PC | NA | DC
    YouTube
    Bloodletter | StamDK | Alliance Rank 46 | Former Emperor of Shor (2018) | Former Emperor of Thornblade #4terms (2015)
    PvE:
    vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMA | vDSA | vMoL | ALL Vet 4 Man Dungeons

• Maole1989
    Maole1989
    ✭✭✭
    I really like this idea because it adds a new dimension to crafting. The thing I like about crafting my own gear is having control over my own look. There are lots of powerful drop sets and combinations out there but sometimes you're forced to hide behind a costume because the set styles don't mesh. I usually go with jewellery + weapons on a drop set and craft the rest to control my look.

Being able to customise set bonuses will really add extra value to crafted sets and help close the margin between crafted and dropped sets. To create balance I think only the 2, 3 and 4pc bonuses should be customisable. The 5pc is the soul of the set so I don't think that should be touched. Being able to change the 2 crit bonuses on Hunding's and exchanging for max stam, recovery or wpn dmg would be awesome.
    Edited by Maole1989 on April 30, 2017 7:47AM
    [1 Corinthians 13] [John 15:13] [John 3:16]
    Maole_1989 - PS4 NA EP
  • BoxFoxx
    BoxFoxx
    ✭✭✭

Rickter wrote: »

as far as stat caps and limitations in cyrodiil - that would force more calculation load on the campaign servers and take more and more away from pvp. soon we'll just be heavy attacking. . . . oh wait. .

That makes no sense. They already make adjustments to stats as is in Cyrodiil. To be honest bro, it feels like you just made that up.
  • BoxFoxx
    BoxFoxx
    ✭✭✭
    Rickter wrote: »
    as the first response pointed out - this would be OP. the whole point is to research and be thoughtful in your decision on which sets to utilize. Custom sets take all of that planning and meta out with everyone just stacking the best stat combinations...

...and in that regard not every single set bonus needs to allowed for research, especially the 5 piece bonus or monster sets. Open your mind my friend and let go of the fear of freedom of choice.
  • TheBonesXXX
    TheBonesXXX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've advocated for this, allow custom sets in Cyrodiil, remove battle spirit, allow player damage / damage reduction on the 2nd or 3rd trait then make the 5th piece something relating to the movement of the game.