The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Which role/class/playstyle do you find to be the most enjoyable for you?

Bruthar
Bruthar
Soul Shriven
I'm having a hard time deciding upon the character I'm gonna role with. I don't want to dump hundreds of hours into the game, only to find that I'm disliking what I'm doing. I'd love it if you guys could describe your character's builds, roles, what PvP is like for you, what PvE is like for you, etc. Just give me some insight into your every day life in TESO.

I'm currently leaning between Stam Nord Dragon Knight (And I'm not sure if I'd go tank or dps, but I'm leaning towards tank), and Mag Altmer Sorcerer ranged DPSer. I'm concerned about things such as dungeon queues, PvP viability, and general content soloability.

Thanks for any and all input, whether it be your own perspectives or your recommendations / opinions.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've played a sorceror, a nightblade and a dragonknight, and I'm enjoying the dragonknight the most. I play a magicka dragonknight, though, not stamina. Maybe someone who's played that class with a stamina build can tell you more.

Everyone will tell you something different, though. The only class/build I do NOT recommend is a stamina nightblade, unless your goal is to play PvP in Cyrodiil. They're crap for PvE.

Edited by SydneyGrey on April 30, 2017 11:26PM
  • Blake6332
    Blake6332
    ✭✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    I've played a sorceror, a nightblade and a dragonknight, and I'm enjoying the dragonknight the most. I play a magicka dragonknight, though, not stamina. Maybe someone who's played that class with a stamina build can tell you more.

Everyone will tell you something different, though. The only class/build I do NOT recommend is a stamina nightblade, unless your goal is to play PvP in Cyrodiil. They're crap for PvE.

Stamina Nightblades are fantastic for PvE. Their only issue is survivability and ease of play.
  • ListerJMC
    ListerJMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay so I'm going to start by saying that I converted my stamina dragonknight dps to a tank a couple of years ago (mostly specced for stamina but with high magicka regen); and my main character is an Altmer magicka sorcerer pve dps. With that in mind, these are my thoughts on your concerns with the classes you mentioned:

Dungeon Queues
    Typically, I find that dungeon queues are longer for dps characters because there seems to be an abundance of them and very few tanks or healers. To get into dungeons quicker, I'd recommend the Nord dragonknight tank.

PvP Viability
    I don't pvp much, I'm not very good at it, and most of my pvping has been on magicka dragonknights. Of all my characters I think I do the best in pvp on my magicka sorcerer, but he also has the best gear and I'm the most used to his class. I've never pvped on a stamina dragonknight so I can't give advice on that one. As a dragonknight tank you probably won't be getting many kills but you can support your team and help them get kills, or at least that's what I found when I used to tank out there.

PvE Viability
    I've seen Nord stamina damage dealers pull great numbers in dungeons, but there are better racial choices for maximising damage potential (e.g. Khajiit, Redguard, Imperial). A Nord is one of the better racial choices for a tank, and you shouldn't have an issue; I don't have any issues with vet dungeons and my tank is an Altmer which is an unusual choice. Granted, I can't speak for vet trials because the last time I tanked one of those veteran ranks were still a thing; but I know vet trials have been successfully tanked with Nords in the current update. An Altmer magicka sorcerer damage dealer will do well at anything pve-related once you get experienced at it.

General Content Soloability
    Definitely the magicka sorcerer, I can solo a lot of things on him including content designed for groups. Soloing stuff as a tank is pretty painful and slow, I can't say for stamina dragonknight dps but I'd hazard a guess and say it's easier on a magicka sorcerer because we have better shields.

Conclusion
    Honestly I'd play both the Altmer magicka sorcerer dps and the nord (as a tank, not a damage dealer - especially if you become interested in min-maxing later, Nord will fall behind compared to other choices). Damage dealers are abundant and you'll probably have more luck finding dungeon groups as a tank, but for solo content the magicka sorcerer would probably be better. I really don't think I should advise on pvp but I have seen all of those classes do well in the hands of a skilled player.

I hope that helps a bit!
    Edited by ListerJMC on May 1, 2017 4:04AM
    PC NA & EU || Mammoth Guilds - Victory or Valhalla || Altmer sorcerer main
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves."
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've played since console launch day, and I have eight vets...every class in both resource variants. The classes can play very differently, and as others say it's in the eye of the beholder which are good or bad. I like stamblades, personally. I can make them work in pve or pvp. Doing that requires a play style that I respond well to. I don't personally like my mac sorc because I find them monotonous...but I respect that they're a great class, have a ton of power, and are really fun for many, many players.

My advice would be to roll a few characters on your account. Play each to level 15ish. By then you'll get a good idea of the feel of the class. And don't worry...it's not wasted time. These alts can become mules, or crafters, or who knows...if you love the game you might want multiple vets some day.

Your sorc and DK idea are sound choices. They'll be waaaaay different from each other...should give you a good idea of play style range. Other popular choices might be a magic Templar, or a stamblade.
    Edited by davey1107 on May 1, 2017 4:25AM
  • Bruthar
    Bruthar
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks for the responses thus far guys. I have until around Wednesday to make a final decision on this. Your writings have been well analyzed, and will likely be re-read again once or twice more.

Right now the jist that I'm getting is:

Mag Altmer Sorcerer Ranged DPS for top DPS, general solo-ability, and better PvP scenarios.

Stam Nord Dragon Knight Tank for ease of getting into group-related activities and a mix of uniqueness / stand-out-ability / likeness.

Stam Nightblade DPS for a unique underdog playstyle

TBH I'd go with the Dragon Knight Tank if I had friends to get into the game with, so hopefully I can try and figure that out by Wednesday. Otherwise, I'll go with the Sorcerer Ranged DPS.
    Edited by Bruthar on May 1, 2017 4:40AM
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blake6332 wrote: »
    Stamina Nightblades are fantastic for PvE. Their only issue is survivability and ease of play.
    LOL! :D Exactly.
    Hey, my NB was fantastic at sneaking around enemies, and doing surprise attacks, but when faced with a quest boss where she was forced to fight face-to-face in a tough fight and couldn't sneak attack, she failed miserably. ....I'm specifically thinking of the Grand Sermonizer in the Dark Brotherhood questline. Two of my other characters were able to kill this character just fine, but she killed my NB over and over and over until I finally gave up. LOL! I'm sure it was a build issue, though. My NB didn't have a high resistance to magical attacks, and that's what doomed her.

Edited by SydneyGrey on May 1, 2017 4:52AM
  • method__01
    method__01
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    Blake6332 wrote: »
    LOL! :D Exactly.
    Hey, my NB was fantastic at sneaking around enemies, and doing surprise attacks, but when faced with a quest boss where she was forced to fight face-to-face in a tough fight and couldn't sneak attack, she failed miserably. ....I'm specifically thinking of the Grand Sermonizer in the Dark Brotherhood questline. Two of my other characters were able to kill this character just fine, but she killed my NB over and over and over until I finally gave up. LOL! I'm sure it was a build issue, though. My NB didn't have a high resistance to magical attacks, and that's what doomed her.

so true,had to turn my stamNb to magblade for complete last DB chapter,was first char i created
    my magsorc and stamsorc took him out in 2 min

feels so nice when pvp and flah out of just to kill some1 and hide again but in direct combat you cant do much
    you can play with just for fun but not for end game content,also u can easily turn into magblade
    (mine is dunmer,khajiit wont do the trick afaik)
    PC EU/NA /// PS4 EU/NA