The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

"Sustain"

ProfesseurFreder
ProfesseurFreder
✭✭✭✭✭
This is just one of the terms being tossed around on this forum that I don't understand. Will someone please explain to me what this means? "Too much sustain" isn't even recognizable English!

Of course I know what the word means, but the meaning of the word doesn't seem to fit the context here -- Not everyone playing or on the forum is a Gaming Geek. Some of us are casual players who nonetheless are interested in following the direction of the game, especially when so very many people are getting so worked up over this one thing....

I *DID* google it -- and the internet doesn't seem to know what y'all are so upset about, either.
"Nothing by which all human passion and hope and folly can be mirrored and then proved ever was just a game."
-- William Faulkner.
  • RT_Frank
    RT_Frank
    ✭✭✭
    Sustain, which in most contexts means being sustainable, means having a constant flow of resources while doing your rotations. In ESO, being sustainable means having high cost reduction, recovery, and resource pool. These all contribute to DPS spamming their skills, or tanks permablocking, while only chipping away at their resources instead of draining them.

Morrowind wants to "fix" that by lowering the sustainability of "everybody". The quoted words represent areas of controversy over the upcoming changes, but as a casual don't worry about this.
    Edited by RT_Frank on April 30, 2017 4:18PM
  • Stovahkiin
    Stovahkiin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This is just one of the terms being tossed around on this forum that I don't understand. Will someone please explain to me what this means? "Too much sustain" isn't even recognizable English!

Of course I know what the word means, but the meaning of the word doesn't seem to fit the context here -- Not everyone playing or on the forum is a Gaming Geek. Some of us are casual players who nonetheless are interested in following the direction of the game, especially when so very many people are getting so worked up over this one thing....

I *DID* google it -- and the internet doesn't seem to know what y'all are so upset about, either.

People don't like it when their systems get changed, so they rush in and make a big fuss, hoping that they can guilt trip the developers into reversing their stance.

Personally, I don't agree with everything ZOS is doing, but getting unreasonably angry at ZOS and other player groups won't fix it. The thing is though, at least half of the player base probably won't even notice these changes, since most of the people that actually enjoy the game don't even bother with the forums.
    Beware the battle cattle, but don't *fear* the battle cattle!
  • XGCAlbatr0ss
    XGCAlbatr0ss
    ✭✭✭
    In other words being able to "sustain" your resources. "Too much sustain" basically means having an abundance of resources that never drain wether it's magicka, stamina or even health.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You want an so good sustain as an damage dealer that you can continue with your rotation during an long boss fight.
    This is not the same as solo as healer and synergies will give you a lot.
    And its not an issue for overland combat as enemies has so little health.

This is reduced a lot in Morrowind so you will run out of magic or stamina even with all cost reduction enchants.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It literally changes how the game is played. For some it will be the equivalent of a new game.
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's complicated . Self sustaine vs group sustaine , burn and recovery points . Utility . For a non gaming geek I'd just say it refers to running out actions you can perform . Plain and simple .
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Too much sustain" isn't even recognizable English!

It's recognizable in the context of, "sustain," being a loaded term. As others have said, it's the ability to create a character build that can continue performing actions indefinitely.

In this case, a "build" is the result of (deliberately) combining various character elements (such as their race, class, equipment, among other decisions) together.
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's complicated . Self sustaine vs group sustaine , burn and recovery points . Utility . For a non gaming geek I'd just say it refers to running out actions you can perform . Plain and simple .

Well worded, needs to say, running out actions you can perform before using heavy attacks
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tasear wrote: »

Well worded, needs to say, running out actions you can perform before using heavy attacks

lol yeah .. Forgot the hvy attck meta .

I'm honest to goodness burnt out on both sides of the debate . I just secured the chin strap on my boxing helmet and assumed the crash position .
  • ProfesseurFreder
    ProfesseurFreder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, everyone! -- And thanks especially for not mocking my ignorance.
    "Nothing by which all human passion and hope and folly can be mirrored and then proved ever was just a game."
    -- William Faulkner.
  • Ihatenightblades
    Ihatenightblades
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How can u not figure out what " they have too much sustain" means lol

If i know what sustain means as u said , do you know what "they have too much" means? Lol

Sorry im just really confused to what your asking. You know what it means but u dont?
  • Tholian1
    Tholian1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stovahkiin wrote: »

People don't like it when their systems get changed, so they rush in and make a big fuss, hoping that they can guilt trip the developers into reversing their stance.

Personally, I don't agree with everything ZOS is doing, but getting unreasonably angry at ZOS and other player groups won't fix it. The thing is though, at least half of the player base probably won't even notice these changes, since most of the people that actually enjoy the game don't even bother with the forums.

You really think people aren't going to notice that their resources are being used up more quickly? Especially if they never even paid attention to them before.
    PS4 Pro NA
  • LegacyDM
    LegacyDM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stovahkiin wrote: »

People don't like it when their systems get changed every update, every 6 months, since launch. Once you get used to a gear set, rotation, build, and spent significant amount of money and time investment, just to have it pulled out from underneath you. It also reenforces to the player base that Zos doesn't know what they are doing. Nerf after Nerf with pointless buffs thrown in. Finally, Zos hardly listens to player feedback. We all know that when they release pts that 9 times out of 10 it's the live version. Zos lives in their own world where they claim everything is based in hard data yet they never share it with the community or provide intelligent feedback other than snippets on their patch notes.

Protest and voicng concerns is the only way we can get Zos to listen. Some get angrier than others p, but I can see why. It's frustrating.
    Edited by LegacyDM on April 30, 2017 6:26PM
    Legacy of Kain
    Vicious Carnage
    ¥ampire Lord of the South
  • Jollygoodusername
    Jollygoodusername
    ✭✭✭
    I was wondering at first what it meant but figured it out on my own. Personally I think it's a step forward in terms of combat. Running out of resources just allows everyone to see how weak skills are in the first place. Maybe it will help to change the current standardized weapons to get actual playstyles to go along with their unique stats.