Maintenance for the week of March 18:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – March 18
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 19, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 1:00PM EDT (17:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)

Furnishings Crafting Level - Info / Help?

Night_Watch
Night_Watch
✭✭✭
Hello all,

I got to admit straight away that I'm not writing this at the best time! It's early morning and my bed is calling. That noted, I am having some trouble with crafting furnishings and hope some of you may be able to help.

I recently returned to ESO after a break and part of what got me back to the game was the thought of being able to aquire and furnish a 'house' or dwelling. I have made a bit of furniture for the quest to get the 'house' (apartnment at an inn) I think it was a simple crate or box that I bought the 'recipe' / 'blueprint' / 'diagram' (I'll use 'diagram' for the rest of post) for at a woodwork vendor costing 150g. All good!

The specific problem that I have is with a diagram I found somewhere in the wild - from a chest if I remember right. Though I have learned the item, have all the mats and higher than the required woodworking level (see image below) I cannot make the item (Nord Torch, Triple). More generally browsing the web for answers to this problem brought some interesting results with posters claiming;
  1. Your character has to be level of character that found the diagram (it is the same character)
  2. Guild Store bought diagrams require character to be same race as seller (this sounds ridiculous to me)
  3. Diagrams can require certain levels in multiple disciplines such as woodwork AND metalwork (the game is showing no sign of this - other than simply not allowing fabrication)
  4. Character has to be high enough level to use item not just to craft (?? surely if I have the craft skill I should be able to craft ??)
  5. Recipes bought, found or learned before completing housing quest are void due to an error in game (I suspect this to be false)
  6. Furniture crafting is broken (great advert for game and is putting me off a lot)
  7. Higher level characters both in character level and skill level cannot make furniture and pass it on to lower levels - for instance: to use passed on item to complete original housing quest (see next bit)

I know I cannot post between characters on same account but can place an item in house and have another character on same account pick it up. I could even post an item from my higher level character to a friend and have the friend post it back to the lower level character. I could buy furniture too - only I cannot! I cannot find a vendor to sell me a low level piece of furniture and Guild Stores never seem to have furniture for sale - just diagrams and these could be problematic to buy (see some of the list above).

As things stand I'm left frustrated because I have a lot of diagrams and would like to craft them (over time) for my houses as I get them but cannot even craft a simple piece. I think when I found the related diagram it was a green level item.

I have looked about online for help but would appreciate if any of you could direct me to a good general guide on crafting furniture in ESO (online) - especially in relation to [3] above. It seems I am missing some crucial information and / or that the game is not presenting information properly for requirements. How, for example, can I know that I need required levels in both woodworking and metalworking when the game is not informing me of this?

Thanks for any constructive help (yeah I went there).

crafting1.png

(Sorry its been a long night and I forgot to bookmark my sources to pass them on)
"If there is an underlying oneness of all things, it does not matter where we begin, whether with stars, or laws of supply and demand, or frogs, or Napoleon Bonaparte. One measures a circle, beginning anywhere."

Charles Fort - Lo! (1931)
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Your woodworking can be at 50 but you need to put the skill points in to get level 3. If you haven't invested the skill points then you can't craft the item.
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
  • Tevalaur
    Tevalaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of your 7 listed claims, only number 3 is true: "Diagrams can require certain levels in multiple disciplines such as woodwork AND metalwork (the game is showing no sign of this - other than simply not allowing fabrication)" but this is only true on some recipes and noted on the recipe itself when it is true (not sure if it shows at the crafting station after that point or if it only checks when you learn the furniture plan).

Also, while you show your woodworking craft is level 9/50 that is not the same as "Woodworking 3" on the furniture plans, the furniture plans which require the passive skill named "Woodworking" to be invested with 3/10 points if it says Woodworking 3 for example.

edit: typo
    Edited by Tevalaur on April 30, 2017 4:37AM
    Is Uncle John's band calling you? Do you daydream about Sugar Magnolias? Is your favorite sunflower a China Cat? Tired of Truckin' alone to Terrapin Station? If so, share some Space with other hippies & deadheads in the guild Sunshine Daydream! Send a message in game (PC-NA) to Kaibeth for your invitation.
  • Tevalaur
    Tevalaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    P.S. As for where you can "shop for furnishings" the items you can find with in-game vendors (not guild stores) and their prices/requirements are shown in Sunshine Daydream's Guide to Housing & Furnishings.
    Edited by Tevalaur on April 30, 2017 4:44AM
    Is Uncle John's band calling you? Do you daydream about Sugar Magnolias? Is your favorite sunflower a China Cat? Tired of Truckin' alone to Terrapin Station? If so, share some Space with other hippies & deadheads in the guild Sunshine Daydream! Send a message in game (PC-NA) to Kaibeth for your invitation.
  • Night_Watch
    Night_Watch
    ✭✭✭
    Hippie4927 wrote: »
    Your woodworking can be at 50 but you need to put the skill points in to get level 3. If you haven't invested the skill points then you can't craft the item.

Ah! There's the mix up! Having 'woodworking' inside 'woodworking' is causing something of a misunderstanding. Makes a lot of sense when looked at how you describe. So I got to get 'woodworking' skill to 10 in order to then spend a point to get my wordworking skill points to 3 as required. No problem :)
    "If there is an underlying oneness of all things, it does not matter where we begin, whether with stars, or laws of supply and demand, or frogs, or Napoleon Bonaparte. One measures a circle, beginning anywhere."

• Night_Watch
    Night_Watch
    ✭✭✭
    Tevalaur wrote: »
    Of your 7 listed claims, only number 3 is true: "Diagrams can require certain levels in multiple disciplines such as woodwork AND metalwork (the game is showing no sign of this - other than simply not allowing fabrication)" but this is only true on some recipes and noted on the recipe itself when it is true (not sure if it shows at the crafting station after that point or if it only checks when you learn the furniture plan).

Also, while you show your woodworking craft is level 9/50 that is not the same as "Woodworking 3" on the furniture plans, the furniture plans which require the passive skill named "Woodworking" to be invested with 3/10 points if it says Woodworking 3 for example.

edit: typo

I thought the only one of the seven listed to be true would be number three. It's just a bit of a 'missed trick' that the game does not show (or it seems that way) both skill requirements.

Edit: Of course, I may not yet of encountered a multi skill item so maybe the game does tell us the requirement! :)
    Edited by Night_Watch on April 30, 2017 4:30PM

• Night_Watch
    Night_Watch
    ✭✭✭
    Tevalaur wrote: »
    P.S. As for where you can "shop for furnishings" the items you can find with in-game vendors (not guild stores) and their prices/requirements are shown in Sunshine Daydream's Guide to Housing & Furnishings.

That seems like a very handy tip! I have had a quick look at the page linked and will have a better look later. I have also bookmarked the page. :smiley:

• Night_Watch
    Night_Watch
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks so much for the help. I'll admit that had I not been so tired I probably would have worked it out for myself! As is, the info I was getting from browsing the web was somewhat contradictory, ill informed or just plain wrong. It's so good to know that the ESO community is so willing to help it's members out too.