The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

2nd Character - Wasting Skill Points on Crafting

iPrey
iPrey
✭✭
Finally getting around to making a second character.

My 1st will be my "crafter", so, what will be needed as far as putting skill points into Crafting on the 2nd character?

I don't want to waste anything.. but still would like to do writs with full potential.
  • Browiseth
    Browiseth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    depends how much of a crafter you want them to be

doing master writs? unlock max tier crafting writs. just collecting nodes? one point into the node-shinifier skills
    skingrad when zoscharacters:
    • EP - M - Strikes-with-Arcane - Argonian Stamina Sorc - lvl 50 - The Flawless Conqueror/Spirit Slayer
    • EP - F - Melina Elinia - Dunmer Magicka Dragonknight - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Sinnia Lavellan - Altmer Warden Healer - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Follows-the-Arcane - Argonian Healer Sorcerer- lvl 50
    • EP - F - Ashes-of-Arcane - Argonian Magicka Necromancer - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Bolgrog the Sinh - Orc Stamina Dragonknight - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Moonlight Maiden - Altmer Magicka Templar - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Maxine Cauline - Breton Magicka Nightblade - lvl 50
    • EP - M - Garrus Loridius - Imperial Stamina Templar - lvl 50
    • EP - F - Jennifer Loridius - Imperial Necromancer tank - lvl 50
    PC/NA but live in EU 150+ ping lyfe
  • iPrey
    iPrey
    ✭✭
    Browiseth wrote: »

doing master writs? unlock max tier crafting writs. just collecting nodes? one point into the node-shinifier skills

The only thing I want them to do is be able to do regular writs at a level to obtain master writs.

No gathering nodes or crafting armor/weapons/potions/food. Well.. I assume I have to craft enough to do the regular writs.
    Edited by iPrey on April 29, 2017 10:38PM
  • Ch4mpTW
    Ch4mpTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me personally, I have my main as my "crafter". They are the character that: Makes everything, is 9-trait in everything, knows damn near all recipes, etc. So that way my other characters (alts) only have to reach max level in alchemy. This is so that I can receive the effect of having potions lasting longer. Something that really is incredibly useful.
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found it best to split the crafting between two characters - one for gear crafting (blacksmith, clothier and woodworker; so you learn all the motivs on one character) and one for consumables crafting (alchemy, enchanting & provisioning).
    That way you still have enough skill points for everything else yet can nicely max those crafts.

Of course... some furniture blueprints need multiple crafting skills, and not always in that split...
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe we should mention that your choices are not final - you can reassign your skill points (and as well attribute points) when you visit those shrines in a big city. So even if you feel, that some points might be wasted, there is a way to reset your points and assign them newly - and the fee for it is not really expensive, if you do not have a mass amount of skill points already.
    Edited by Lysette on April 29, 2017 10:56PM
  • Fodore
    Fodore
    ✭✭✭✭
    iPrey wrote: »
    Browiseth wrote: »

The only thing I want them to do is be able to do regular writs at a level to obtain master writs.

No gathering nodes or crafting armor/weapons/potions/food. Well.. I assume I have to craft enough to do the regular writs.

In my experience I usually do lots of dungeons and deconstruct everything that I get, you steadily make your way up to 50. You only need to put skill points into the 10 levels of crafting
    Edited by Fodore on April 29, 2017 11:15PM
    Before judging a man walk a mile in his shoes.
    After that who cares?
    They're a mile away and you've got their shoes.
  • fgoron2000
    fgoron2000
    ✭✭✭✭
    OP, if your primary interest is in doing crafting writs that have a chance to get master writs, then there's one passive in each skill that you need to level to the top. Most of them are level 10, which would take 9 skill points, but a few are only up to about 6 or 7, such as provisioning & alchemy, in fact they are the only ones that don't go to eleve..i mean go to ten. You'd also need to level each skill up to 50, to unlock those top level passives, but those should be the only two things in each skill that you'd need to qualify for master writ drops...

...oh yeah, don't forget that you'll also need the top level mats to do the writs also
    Edited by fgoron2000 on April 29, 2017 11:46PM
  • DisgracefulMind
    DisgracefulMind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If you want max writs then you need to put full skill points into the craft tier for each one.
    Unfortunate magicka warden main.
    PC/NA Server
    Fairweather Friends
    Retired to baby bgs forever. Leave me alone.
  • Rainwhisper
    Rainwhisper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't the number of traits learned also improve master writ drop chance?

It only costs a few minutes a day (and then, every few days) to make research items for your alts. I would recommend doing that as well.
  • jaye63
    jaye63
    ✭✭✭✭
    iPrey wrote: »
    Finally getting around to making a second character.

My 1st will be my "crafter", so, what will be needed as far as putting skill points into Crafting on the 2nd character?

I don't want to waste anything.. but still would like to do writs with full potential.

So for a total crafter you need to use 139 points.
    you need alchemy for the mag boost on others and provisioning because switching toons after you find out you're out of food while people wait for you before going into a raid sux so about 25 points for all others.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaye63 wrote: »

So for a total crafter you need to use 139 points.
    you need alchemy for the mag boost on others and provisioning because switching toons after you find out you're out of food while people wait for you before going into a raid sux so about 25 points for all others.

^Pretty much this.^

End game characters generally have near or above 300 skill points. That's enough to max out your crafting, class skill lines, two weapon lines, two armor lines, mages or fighter's guild, Alliance War ... and skill points left after that.