The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Unified PvE and PvP Playstyles Never Work

• Jollygoodusername
    Jollygoodusername
    ✭✭✭
    Original post.

I completely agree here. PvP mechanics will eventually ruin pve, rarely does it work the other way around. Standardization of pvp is the best option but I've heard Zeni doesn't want to go that route, shame.
  • Jollygoodusername
    Jollygoodusername
    ✭✭✭
    STEVIL wrote: »
    While the playstyle may be different, the mechanics are not.

The mechanics are world's apart, example being CC versus bosses with high HP pools. Shields and CC are the most common offenders for whining in PvP. I was there in WoW while all this was happening the first time around. I've seen diminishing returns kill PvE skills but never the other way around. Most CC effects don't work on bosses, the mechanics are vastly different when in PvP mode. I discovered this with only a single duel in ESO.
  • Yolokin_Swagonborn
    Yolokin_Swagonborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Split development in a shared product is almost always sooner or later an appealing notion but also almost always a bad idea.

Yes, they should never do something like this:

brXHvoT.png

It would totally destroy their game. Oh, wait. That's been in the game since launch? So where are the hoardes of NB players complaining to ZOS that their class feels disjointed because their gap closer acts differently in PvP? How many times has the game exploded since this has been there?

See, there is this thing ZOS does. You ask them for ice cube, and they tell you that its too difficult for them to sail to Antarctica and chisel a piece of the purest ice formed during the ice age off a glacier and then hand deliver it to you at your doorstep.
    Edited by Yolokin_Swagonborn on April 29, 2017 7:55PM
  • Sheva I 7 I
    Sheva I 7 I
    ✭✭✭✭
    Consequently, the experience of fighting another player will never feel like the experience of fighting an AI-controlled opponent. PvP players will spend hours carefully selecting combinations of armor, skills, and attacks - then practicing them - to ensure deadly combinations against various classes and builds. PvE players will focus on choosing the skills that either match their roleplaying vision for their character, or optimize their ability to accomplish specific tasks, or seem like a fun way to play for a while, knowing that the stakes aren't terribly high.

Exactly the opposite happens in eso, in pvp stakes are really nothing to worry about, most people who are there can't even gear themselves in best traits/weapons. Goodluck finishing a hard-mode trial where people come undergeared/with no rotation/not using right skills
  • BuddyAces
    BuddyAces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From Rich Lambert on the livestream: "We want one cohesive game. We want you to be able to understand how combat works in PvE, and have that translate into PvP...It's not a completely different experience."

I have played nearly every MMO since Ultima Online, and several of the text MUD's before that. One thing I've observed in over twenty years of online gaming is that the goal of creating a unified PvE and PvP experience always comes up, and never works.

I wish developers would let go of that particular Holy Grail.

PvE players want predictable fight mechanics based on an established sets of skills/spells/formula. This grows out of the RPG identity of MMORPG's, where ultimately it's a combination of math and player choices, based on established patterns, that determines success.

PvP players want unpredictable fight mechanics that require them to memorize a number of rock-paper-scissors combinations for beating specific opponents. They want the risk and challenge of possibly hugely imbalanced fights, in either direction. The playstyle is radically different, and grows more out of the MMO identity of an MMORPG, where online, action/combat games are based primarily on player skill and team co-ordination.

While I recognize that end-game, group PvE content adds elements of close co-operation and memorization, ultimately the playstyle is still different from that of PvP, particularly in terms of the unpredictability of the opposing players' actions, and the "gotcha" combinations of attacks they will choose. In addition, end-game PvE encounters are carefully-tuned for balance, something impossible in PvP because the developers generally cannot control the number of players involved, or their skill level.

Consequently, the experience of fighting another player will never feel like the experience of fighting an AI-controlled opponent. PvP players will spend hours carefully selecting combinations of armor, skills, and attacks - then practicing them - to ensure deadly combinations against various classes and builds. PvE players will focus on choosing the skills that either match their roleplaying vision for their character, or optimize their ability to accomplish specific tasks, or seem like a fun way to play for a while, knowing that the stakes aren't terribly high.

Neither playstyle is "better," but trying to establish a system that allows a player to seamlessly move between the two is never going to happen. It will always feel like two completely different games.

At some level, I think ZOS understands this, since as a PvE player, I can completely ignore armor designed for protection from critical strikes. I wish their entire development philosophy, however, reflected this reality.

While the playstyle may be different, the mechanics are not.
    While some capabilities and tactics are better for one than the other or may be needed more in one than the other the functions are mostly the same.

What they can do and obviously are trying to do is provide enough options so that whichever way you want to go you have enough tools to do the job. You have impen traits that help in pvp but other traits that help in pve.

Every time the issue of separating the two comes up i dont focus on the play but on the support and development and one of them made sure to touch on it yesterday. After the blather about playstyles, they started talking about how if it splits every change has to be done and tested and evaluated two-three-four more times than now.

Splitting pve and pvp means splitting the code streams and as they grow more and more and more divergent the effort required quadruples for everything. You will move towards three to four times as long and three to four times as many bugs... and eventually some bean counter will sit down and look at the least prifitable code stream and say "if we cut that out what does that do to our overall bottom line..."

Split development in a shared product is almost always sooner or later an appealing notion but also almost always a bad idea.

Cut the releases per year in half, double the bugs per release and also see a lot more blandifying of added stuff... that is what split code would give us until the bean counter raised his hand.

Because heaven forbid that the suits spend money and hire a couple new devs to help out. Bad enough the dev team is as small as it is for a game this scope. They shoulda manned the *** up and told the suits at the top that they need to hire more devs and seperate the 2 game styles. They will never ever come anywhere close to a balance. Why do you think every other game has always ended up separating the two playstyles if it wasn't already at launch? Because other game devs realize what a crap tastic idea it is not to separate the two.

The only people who can back the devs on an idea as stupid as this are people too short sighted to see the bigger picture.
    Edited by BuddyAces on April 29, 2017 10:27PM
    They nerfed magsorcs so hard stamsorcs felt it,lol - Somber97866

I'm blown away by the utter stupidity I see here on the daily. - Wrekkedd
  • Nyladreas
    Nyladreas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    From Rich Lambert on the livestream: "We want one cohesive game. We want you to be able to understand how combat works in PvE, and have that translate into PvP...It's not a completely different experience."

I have played nearly every MMO since Ultima Online, and several of the text MUD's before that. One thing I've observed in over twenty years of online gaming is that the goal of creating a unified PvE and PvP experience always comes up, and never works.

I wish developers would let go of that particular Holy Grail.

PvE players want predictable fight mechanics based on an established sets of skills/spells/formula. This grows out of the RPG identity of MMORPG's, where ultimately it's a combination of math and player choices, based on established patterns, that determines success.

PvP players want unpredictable fight mechanics that require them to memorize a number of rock-paper-scissors combinations for beating specific opponents. They want the risk and challenge of possibly hugely imbalanced fights, in either direction. The playstyle is radically different, and grows more out of the MMO identity of an MMORPG, where online, action/combat games are based primarily on player skill and team co-ordination.

While I recognize that end-game, group PvE content adds elements of close co-operation and memorization, ultimately the playstyle is still different from that of PvP, particularly in terms of the unpredictability of the opposing players' actions, and the "gotcha" combinations of attacks they will choose. In addition, end-game PvE encounters are carefully-tuned for balance, something impossible in PvP because the developers generally cannot control the number of players involved, or their skill level.

Neither playstyle is "better," but trying to establish a system that allows a player to seamlessly move between the two is never going to happen. It will always feel like two completely different games.

At some level, I think ZOS understands this, since as a PvE player, I can completely ignore armor designed for protection from critical strikes. I wish their entire development philosophy, however, reflected this reality.

Glad to see someone posting something truly insightful once in a while. I can fully agree with this post and would gladly give you a cookie!!

(It has moonsugar sprinkles!)