Maintenance for the week of March 18:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – March 18
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 19, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 1:00PM EDT (17:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)

Custom Sets for Master Craftsman

BoxFoxx
BoxFoxx
✭✭✭
I had an idea last night before bed. It came after hearing various news about top ESO gamers deciding to leave and play other MMOs. A comment from one of them had to do with the amount of time involved in mindless, hit or miss, grinding just to obtain desired armour.

So why not have the option to create custom sets for master crafters?

What I mean by custom sets is the ability to create your own armour where you can apply any bonus associated with having 2, 3, 4 or 5 items.

How would this be done?

Research.

Just as when you research traits, you can research bonuses (or whatever Bethesda/ZOS wants to name them) based on the already existing set armour you find. If ZOS wants to make it more complex, they can have you need to obtain a special item that can only be used once per each bonus item researched, like a special crystal or something and make the skill un-lockable when you reach CP 600 (which you deserve at that point).

Make jewellery craftable as well, perhaps under the enchanting skill line.

Who wants to keep grinding repetitively just to hope to find the gear you're looking for to have fun playing the parts of the game that you truly want to play.

Think of the unique builds there would be out there too!!! It'd be killer.

Don't jump to the conclusion that this would make players over-powered. Nearly all of the possible combinations are out there anyway. The players that want to min/max will min/max. With custom sets, you can compete not just on luck of finding a better piece of armour.

Think of economics too! Guild traders will have more desirable items available meaning less overpriced items and more transactions for the guild store. It's a win/win.

Give it some thought... it could make things pretty fun and great!
Edited by BoxFoxx on April 25, 2017 1:33PM
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BoxFoxx wrote: »
    Don't jump to the conclusion that this would make players over-powered. The players that want to min/max will min/max.

Don't these two sentences conflict with each other?

Even as a master crafter, I don't think this is the greatest idea. It would lead to a homogenization of gear ... since players would auto-pick the optimal set bonuses for armor or weapon pieces.

The other side effect is that no one would do content anymore. I get the fact that players don't want to spend weeks looking for a unicorn Burning Spellweave sharpened fire staff. However, there are better ways to approach fixing the gear grind.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on April 25, 2017 4:25PM
  • BoxFoxx
    BoxFoxx
    ✭✭✭
    BoxFoxx wrote: »
    Don't jump to the conclusion that this would make players over-powered. The players that want to min/max will min/max.

Don't these two sentences conflict with each other?

Even as a master crafter, I don't think this is the greatest idea. It would lead to a homogenization of gear ... since players would auto-pick the optimal set bonuses for armor or weapon pieces.

The other side effect is that no one would do content anymore. I get the fact that players don't want to spend weeks looking for a unicorn Burning Spellweave sharpened fire staff. However, there are better ways to approach fixing the gear grind.

Aside from pedantically addressing the sentences in which I was implying that it wouldn't change how a player will relentlessly attempt to min/max their builds, I disagree with your opinion on players neglecting content. The great thing about a game like the Elder Scrolls is that players can choose to play as they wish, meaning if they want to ignore certain content they can. There are plenty of players that could care less about min/max builds and just want to explore content and visa/versa.

In regards to your point on possible homogenization of gear, there are plenty of ways to work around that such as having custom sets being bound to players or making custom sets attached to some sort of declaration in which would be a rare issue item.

While there may be other ways (not necessarily better, an example would be nice) to approach fixing the gear grind, I don't think throwing the possibility of custom sets out the window is fair to the players. Custom sets makes a lot of sense and I'm sure players would love it. The kinks can be worked around. ZoS would just have to want to implement the idea.
    Edited by BoxFoxx on April 25, 2017 7:35PM
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a master crafter and hmmm...I'm not sure custom sets would work in the sense that it would introduce too many variables for zos to keep the endless setmcomfigurations balanced well...which is already a challenge.

What I mean is that with custom sets it wouldn't be too long before an expert player figured out "you take set 1 and set 2 and make the traits a,b,c, etc...then add this monster helm, and because of the way they are now combined the damage buffs all stack up and you put out 50k hits."

Then within a week everyone is running that exploit, then the next week ZOS has to nerf the sets and everyone screams because they've "just spent $3000 real world money on that gear." And while it makes no sense for people to say they spent real world money on a set, that's what they'll do because that's what they always do.