Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Coming back to ESO after a long break, questions regarding champion levels.

Trancendence
Trancendence
Soul Shriven
Hello,
i played for 2-3 months since ESO officially released and since then, i realized that many things changed, including the removal of Veteran Levels in favor of the new champion levels ? how do they work basically ?
also, i noticed that the "meta" regarding all the viable classes are pretty restricted if we want to talk about "optimal" roles for the dedicated "classes", my question is;
since i like to play in melee generally, how viable are the either 2h DDs and Stamina Tanks ? i assume the class better suited for tanking is the DK ?
thank you in advance.
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello,
    i played for 2-3 months since ESO officially released and since then, i realized that many things changed, including the removal of Veteran Levels in favor of the new champion levels ? how do they work basically ?
    At level 50, the CP system engages and takes on all exp made within the game, up to 615, if memory serves (but on 600 will show onscreen).

There is also a new set of skill trees which you apply the points to. Each skill item can have a maximum of 100, but you can choose to spend the points as you want. There's also a 3000g cost to "respec" if you don't like the distribution.

CP is also applied to gear, with the max being CP160 (until June, when it's raised 20 points). Materials to craft gear at CP160 is expensive, unlike previous levels. Grinding has become a necessary evil as a jerkin can cost 150 mats at CP160, while its CP150 sister only costs 15. Ouch.
    also, i noticed that the "meta" regarding all the viable classes are pretty restricted if we want to talk about "optimal" roles for the dedicated "classes", my question is;
    since i like to play in melee generally, how viable are the either 2h DDs and Stamina Tanks ? i assume the class better suited for tanking is the DK ?
    At early levels, every class is going to seem strong, because the level scaling distorts actual numbers. About level 42, things start to shift drastically, if one is not paying attention.

A build is as viable as you make it, which includes skill rotation and gear. Understanding what you want to do with your character will help you define it for the group/vet runs.

As for PvP, I cannot address these concerns as I've very little experience in this arena.

The difficulty scale is pretty "set"... for now. The upcoming patch may alter this.
    Hardest: stamina Nightblade
    Easiest: magicka Sorc

Everything else falls in between.

• Trancendence
    Trancendence
    Soul Shriven
    Violynne wrote: »
    Hello,
    At level 50, the CP system engages and takes on all exp made within the game, up to 615, if memory serves (but on 600 will show onscreen).

There is also a new set of skill trees which you apply the points to. Each skill item can have a maximum of 100, but you can choose to spend the points as you want. There's also a 3000g cost to "respec" if you don't like the distribution.

CP is also applied to gear, with the max being CP160 (until June, when it's raised 20 points). Materials to craft gear at CP160 is expensive, unlike previous levels. Grinding has become a necessary evil as a jerkin can cost 150 mats at CP160, while its CP150 sister only costs 15. Ouch.
    At early levels, every class is going to seem strong, because the level scaling distorts actual numbers. About level 42, things start to shift drastically, if one is not paying attention.

A build is as viable as you make it, which includes skill rotation and gear. Understanding what you want to do with your character will help you define it for the group/vet runs.

As for PvP, I cannot address these concerns as I've very little experience in this arena.

The difficulty scale is pretty "set"... for now. The upcoming patch may alter this.
    Hardest: stamina Nightblade
    Easiest: magicka Sorc

Everything else falls in between.

Sweet, thank you.
    How often do you see 2H DDs on high levels ? seems to me that the only DPS you see on high levels are either NB or Sorcs.
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How often do you see 2H DDs on high levels ? seems to me that the only DPS you see on high levels are either NB or Sorcs.
    Personally, I've not seen any, but I've only come back to the game myself a couple of months ago. It's mostly been NB DPS or magSorcs in the few group events I've played in.

In public dungeons, consisting of players trying to level up, I see plenty of 2H DDs, mostly DKs. I'm assuming this class and play style has advantages with this combo.

There are plenty of build videos on YouTube if you want to see specific class/builds in action.

Coming back from the old VR days, I'm still learning the game myself.

• Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Cp is basically account wide progress past level 50. Current gear cap is 160 cp so once there you can get same gear best of us run and not worry about upgrading it every few levels anymore. Prior to that you will be getting scaled to cp 160(basically everything in the game is cp 160 and you're getting scaled to it now), this battle leveling is stronger at low levels and depends a lot on your gear level so don't forget to keep it upgraded.

You can earn any number of cp(up to 3600, but later cp take a LOT more XP than earlier ones) but the cap of what you can use is currently 600 cp(to be raised to 630 with Morrowind I think). You'll see more when you hit level 50 but basically there're 3 types of "constellations"(red, green and blue, roughly aligned with health, stamina and magicka) with passive buffs where you can put your cp. Like there're stars increasing your magic damage, staff damage, DW damage, armor, spell resistance and whatnot. Each cp spent also increases your corresponding base stat pull by some small value like 0.01%.

If you make a new character, it'll have access to all of your account's cp from level 1 basically and become level <however many cp you have> as soon as it hits 50. It won't be able to earn any new cp before level 50 though.

Well without softcaps and with cp it's very profitable to stack everything into just damage basically...at least until Morrowind. To answer your questions...2h dps is currently inferior to DW in PvE but it's very strong in PvP for its burst damage and cc. Honestly if you know what you're doing you'll probably do fine with 2h still but you would do more with DW, plus 1 more set bonus since it's 2 items instead of 1. In PvE magicka dps is generally outperforming stamina currently, and they get more surviveability with shields though. Stamina tanks are very much a thing and yes DKs are best for their stamina management and cc. Do keep in mind stamina regeneration stops completely while you're blocking if you go that way btw. Another tip if you decide to go stamina route - take a close look at Vigor skill from alliance war skull tree, it's a stamina heal and it's really good (though less so with Morrowind, I think they're making it reeeaaaally expensive).

Lots of things but hope it helps some :)