The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

ESO runs only 32 bit

Dakeyras
Dakeyras
Hello,

Does anyone have same issue?
My game runs only 32 bit client.
When I try switch to 64 bit there is a error 201 and "could not retrieve announcements"
Same without Add ons I also reinstaled game.
Any ideas?
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dakeyras wrote: »
    Hello,

Does anyone have same issue?
    My game runs only 32 bit client.
    When I try switch to 64 bit there is a error 201 and "could not retrieve announcements"
    Same without Add ons I also reinstaled game.
    Any ideas?
    If you are using the Bethesda.net Launcher, then it should load and run the program named eso64.exe that is present in the folder where the game is installed. That is, the Launcher will do that if your computer has the required 64-bit architecture, and if the eso64.exe program is present.

Check the folder in which The Elder Scrolls Online is installed on your computer. Mine is:

E:\Program Files (x86)\The Elder Scrolls\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client

Of course, you must be playing the game on a 64-bit computer system in order to run any 64-bit software. You can run eso64.exe by creating a desktop shortcut for it and bypass the Launcher. However, to update the game client, you must run Launcher, and also run it to Repair Files (Game Options menu) after the game client crashes.

Otherwise, I don't know what Error 201 says. The game log-in screen often states that it "Could not retrieve announcements." but that has rarely meant that I cannot log-in to the game regardless. In other words, retrieving the announcements is not a requirement for logging-in.

--- Shadowshire .......... ESO Plus on PC NA with Windows 7 Pro SP1

nil carborundum illegitimi
  • Dakeyras
    Dakeyras
    I was playing before 64bit without any issue. Since 3 weeks I am facing this.
    No matter if I'll run 64bit via launcher or .exe...
  • Betheny
    Betheny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Try repair using launcher for the 64 bit client, and adding exception for the 64 bit to antivirus (and to firewall also, just in case), and only then try running the 64 bit .exe directly rather than through launcher.
    Edited by Betheny on April 24, 2017 2:33PM
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dakeyras wrote: »
    I was playing before 64bit without any issue. Since 3 weeks I am facing this.
    No matter if I'll run 64bit via launcher or .exe...
    What changed three weeks ago? ..... Anything about your computer hardware or operating system, etc.?

Three weeks ago from Sunday 23 April would be Sunday 2 April. The patches and hotfixes are listed in the following section of the forum: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/patch-notes

According to that record, Patch 2.7.11 was probably applied during the maintenance at 4:00 AM EDST on April 3. If memory serves, the Launcher was updated and that could be the source of the problem. However, a patch was also then applied to the game client, presumably to eso.exe and to eso64.exe, respectively.

Patching usually works without error, but you might have to re-install the game if ZOS cannot replace just the game client with the current version. Perhaps you can move the two client executables to a temporary location, then run Launcher to see whether it will download replacements for them.

Personally, I always use a shortcut to launch eso64.exe.. I only use Launcher to update the game client when it is patched, and to run Repair Files. If you do that, then take note of the advice offered by @Betheny .

Edited by Shadowshire on April 25, 2017 9:50AM
    --- Shadowshire .......... ESO Plus on PC NA with Windows 7 Pro SP1

nil carborundum illegitimi