Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Xp Gain in quests..?

AL16
AL16
✭✭✭
Thank you everyone for helping me pick up my stam nb again : D
Since this is my first character, I am planning to finish every single quest in the game. Can anyone tell me with One Tamriel, what level will I reach if i start questing at level 50? I've only finished til half of Glenumbra and the 2 islands now.
Will I reach CP160? If not, then when should I start questing such that I can get to CP160 by the time I finish all quests?

(btw I will do daily undaunted dungeons, count those xp as quets xp too)

p.s. Just randomly estimate a value for me, it is fine...I will fell so guilty for wasting a lot of your time calculating a perfect answer (QAQ)
Thank you soooo much!!
Joined 2015, didn't play a lot and quit. Returned recently
Stamblade main, trying out other builds atm.

Best Answers

• Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quests are the best XP source for sure. In particular clearing a zone I.e. Dolmens, delves, public dungeons, alliance quest line and as you go get the skyshards and lore books.

I'm 642CP and still have a few zones of my Cadwells Gold to complete. However I have done all DLC, the 50 Town quests in Cyrodiil give huge XP too.

Compares to grinding its way more fun and more productive over all.

Small quests do give alpt less, so if you re keen to progress do all the big stuff then go back to mop up the 60 or so per zone

How ur doing it, in my opinion, is the best way to level fast and enjoy the doing so.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
    Answer ✓
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AL16 wrote: »
    If you do daily dungeons, it becomes much more a question of how long you'll be playing and not whether the quests will get you the whole way.

about 1-2 hours per day, play everyday.
    Dungeons give an lot of xp and a skill point the first time you do the dungeon quest and clear them.

If you complete all the quests in all zones you will be well over cp160 then done

Because of one tamriel you can mix quests with pvp and dungeons.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
    Answer ✓
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To answer your original question...this is an estimate because my first three characters that I leveled via questing were under the old vet 16 system...

Once you hit vet you get 400,000 xp of enlightenment each day, which is basically a bonus where you earn 4x xp from all sources, including quests. This is going to dramatically affect how far into the quest lines you go to get to c160. If you play 1 hour per day, most of the quest turn ins would be at the higher rate (~40,000xp) If you played 8 hours a day, you'd burn through enlightenment and quest turn ins would be worth the regular rate (~10,000) so you'd need to move through many more quests to get to your goal.

Given this, if you were to clear every map marker in a zone before moving on (turning it from black to white), my guess is that if a player started glenumbra as a level one and leveled primarily via questing, they'd turn vet shortly before finishing zone 5 (bangkorai) and then they'd reach c160 sometime around zone 2 of the next faction they visit. It'd be a long time before completing all three factions. Assuming 1-2 hours of play time, you'll probably be well into the 400's before you finish all three.
    Answer ✓
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    Magdalina wrote: »
    I'm cp 147 on eu right now and I've only done Khenarthi's, Auridon and Coldharbour(but I have done them fully, listening to every npc's dialogue and whatnot XD) plus a few random dungeons. I'm just now starting Grahtwood. Granted most of it has been during double xp event but still, xp gains pretty fast these days it seems, even through questing. Also don't forget enlightenment.

I'd say grinding is still faster(and they even mentioned something in Morrowind patch notes about increasing questing xp for it to be on par with killing mobs I think) but questing is way more fun, especially for the first time, plus you're getting skillpoints, skyshards, lorebooks otw etc.
    That was fast, back at launch I reached vr1 in coldharbor, granted back then you would outlevel the content and get less xp if you did all quests, dolmens, delves and the public dugneons, not to talk about doing pvp or dungeons on top.

Yup my main is on NA at like 670 cp and I remember the times when there was I think a cap on quest xp - no matter how much xp quest gave, it couldn't be more than 30% of your level...now on lower levels I'd burst through 3-4 levels a big quest :D

I remember drastically outleveling all zones because I was doing them fully, like every icon and everything in between, even finding all skyshards with no addons or googling, just going by the hints...would be like ~10 levels per zone, and barely 1 vet level per vet zone(~10 cp?). Now I'm into my third zone(not counting starter island) and near 150 cp, even without xp buffs it'sd stil be crazy fast. It's been an enlightening experience really, to level up from scratch again within the new system, I might make a thread on it I think. I'd go as far as to say it's TOO fast even.
    Answer ✓
  • CalydorEstalon
    CalydorEstalon
    ✭✭✭
    If you do daily dungeons, it becomes much more a question of how long you'll be playing and not whether the quests will get you the whole way.
  • AL16
    AL16
    ✭✭✭

about 1-2 hours per day, play everyday.
    Joined 2015, didn't play a lot and quit. Returned recently
    Stamblade main, trying out other builds atm.
  • mikejezz
    mikejezz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Keep in mind though, that the dungeon system is incredibly bugged atm. Over half of the time, when I get into a dungeon, I get kicked right out again for some odd reason.

Also, if you are going with Pugs, theres a big chance that the group will disband during the last boss, as they are actually hard in this game compared to other MMORPG's.

• Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'm cp 147 on eu right now and I've only done Khenarthi's, Auridon and Coldharbour(but I have done them fully, listening to every npc's dialogue and whatnot XD) plus a few random dungeons. I'm just now starting Grahtwood. Granted most of it has been during double xp event but still, xp gains pretty fast these days it seems, even through questing. Also don't forget enlightenment.

I'd say grinding is still faster(and they even mentioned something in Morrowind patch notes about increasing questing xp for it to be on par with killing mobs I think) but questing is way more fun, especially for the first time, plus you're getting skillpoints, skyshards, lorebooks otw etc.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magdalina wrote: »

That was fast, back at launch I reached vr1 in coldharbor, granted back then you would outlevel the content and get less xp if you did all quests, dolmens, delves and the public dugneons, not to talk about doing pvp or dungeons on top.

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you're intending to do all the quests, you'll be well past 160 by the time you finish gold.

This assumes you're doing the 4 man's in each zone, etc.

The main map icons always gave good XP and often a skillpoint.

Regarding grinding vs questing, yes the initial grind to 160 is faster, but that also doesn't factor in the grind for skyshards and lorebooks, which come by default when you quest. (No real special trips required, as everything is ultimately nearby at some point)

In the grand scheme of things, they're probably not as far from being equal as one might think.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS