Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Some questions regarding alts and gear

mikejezz
mikejezz
✭✭✭✭
Hey guys,

I pre ordered the game but only played for like one or two months after release, and came back last week having a blast.

Now, I'm very green so I need some help.

I've hard that CP and gear are actually bound to account. Doesn't this mean that when my characters are first level 50, they are just as good as my other toons, since they share cp and can get the same gear on them?

Also, I play this game for mainly PvP. Is it viable to get the best PvP gear solely by doing PvP, or maybe some other activities that doesn't require playing with other people? Not that I don't mind playing with other people, but I like to be able to get the good stuff by not bein reliable by others.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're correct as soon as you reach level 50 you can use all the gear you have from any other characters.

You can spend your CP early but won't gain more until you're level 50.

Gear for PvP comes from various sources depending on your build, not every set from PvP works best in PvP and quite often sets from PvE dungeons will be superior. I would however advise you don't make any gear legendary (gold) quality nor invest too much money in buying gear just yet as Morrowind is out in just over a month and will change the games meta quite a bit as to what's considered good.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • mikejezz
    mikejezz
    ✭✭✭✭
    So Morrowind will bring lots of new sets, and change the meta.

So, for getting some of the better gear, I definitely need to get into some premade PvE runs, otherwise I will not be proper competitive in PvP?
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Like already been said, yes, past lvl 50 your cp level is account wide, though do keep in mind gear cap is cp 160(not level 50 or cp 600). Another thing it means is that once your character hits level 50, provided you already have some cp in your account, he will MASSIVELY outlevel his old gear because as far as the game is concerned he won't be lvl 50 in lvl 45 gear but lvl cp 160(for example, using this number as it's the gear cap atm) in lvl 45 gear which will make all of his stats drop dramatically. Don't let that discourage you and just hurry up to upgrade your armor ;)

And yes, unfortunately a lot of competitive PvP gear, most of it even I'd say, is acquired through PvE. That includes some open world sets that are farmable on your own or buy-able from other people as they're BoE, some dungeon sets that you'll have to group with other people to acquire(although you can relatively easily solo most normal dungeons and they drop the same sets as vet versions, only in blue quality; but since you can upgrade your gear easily anyway, it only matters for jewelry which you cannot upgrade) and monster sets, the helms for which only drop in vet dungeons off the final boss, and shoulders are to be found by completing daily dungeon quests from the Undaunted. There is also craftable gear which you can just craft/ask someone else to craft, but most of which is not very competitive atm. It all depends on the build you decide to play though.