The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Looking for a dw/destro magblade build

WacArnold
WacArnold
✭✭✭
I was playing around with this style of play but have not found a real serious build for it, does anybody know if this style is viable? I like to be able to attack at range and close quarters, but from what I hear melee sucks for magblade, why is that exactly? And of course survivability is a challenge because of no restro staff, so, are there any theory craters out there that could figure something out for this play style?

I know there are Zerg bomber builds for this, but will that build work for small groups or 1v1?
Xbox One - North American - Ebonheart Pact
Anti-Pop Lv 50 Magicka Nightblade Dark Elf
WacArnold Lv 50 Magicka Templar Argonian
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WacArnold wrote: »
    I was playing around with this style of play but have not found a real serious build for it, does anybody know if this style is viable? I like to be able to attack at range and close quarters, but from what I hear melee sucks for magblade, why is that exactly? And of course survivability is a challenge because of no restro staff, so, are there any theory craters out there that could figure something out for this play style?

I know there are Zerg bomber builds for this, but will that build work for small groups or 1v1?

I've fought a few good dw/destro magblades but I feel that's really a bomber build our a build for small group play. I think for open world you are better off going s&b/destro with heavy armor if that's the style you are looking to play, and you want to have more versatility in open world. The reason melee sucks is because concealed weapon is garbage against heavy armor you will hit then for like 4 or 5k and they will be hitting you for alot more lol. It's also way to expensive and can tax your resource pool unless you build for more sustain further lowering your damage. A good build I ran for awhile was 5 fasallas/5 overwhelming surge/2 gradgarr. I think if you switch surge for spinners and gradgarr for skoria it would probably be better for this update, but honestly any damage sets will work fine. I like fasallas for the extra healing but any heavy armor set will work fine as well maybe even like black rose would be good or heavy seducer or julianos.

A good dw/destro build is 5 necro/5 alchemist/2 gradgarr. Alchamist will give you extra health and necro would give you a big shield which you would need because you wouldn't have healing ward. Plus you would hit like a truck
  • WacArnold
    WacArnold
    ✭✭✭
    Well that sucks concealed is garbage, kinda ruins everything I wanted to do. What would you recommend for a magblade that plays solo, mostly ic some cyrodiIl, usually sneaks around looking for other solo players to pick off, or small groups to harass?
    Edited by WacArnold on April 11, 2017 2:35AM
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well that sucks concealed is garbage, kinda ruins everything I wanted to do. What would you recommend for a magblade that plays solo, mostly ic some cyrodiIl, usually sneaks around looking for other solo players to pick off, or small groups to harass?

You can use concealed for the speed buff though and it hits pretty hard if you come across someone in medium I wouldn't use it for main spammable though. I think destro/resto is probably the best. It's the most complete and versatile build. You could be a ganker. I actually think magblades are better gankers than stamblades now. Honestly any magblade build would be good for harassing that's pretty much it's thing. A light armor build that's pretty good is 5 necro/5 spinners destro/resto or 5 necro/5 seducer if you like to cloak alot or 5 julianos/5 lich/2 kena is strong as well with the shadow mundus
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @thankyourat listed my idea, and even explainrd it well (like OP, I was wondering), I don't think I'll go for it, thank you, @thankyourat

Um atm I'm trying Heavy, Pirate, Guile, and transmutation.

I'm not sure, but Pirate + Transmutation + 32k resist means (let's say we be facing a spinners 15kish
    30% reduction from pirate, 24% reduction from armor, and what (at 2.5 crit resist I think is around 35% crit reduction? ) I think I'll be taking 50% of their damage
    Gonna go check me math...
    Edited by Waffennacht on April 11, 2017 3:32PM
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • WacArnold
    WacArnold
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks thankyourat for help i think I'm going to try out some of your builds for destro/restro, I appreciate your advice.
  • Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @JackDaniell has one on his youtube I believe
  • WacArnold
    WacArnold
    ✭✭✭
    @thankyourat is light the best for magblade now? I always feel extremely squishy in light if I were to run something like rattle (I really like the idea of freeing up bar space) and transmutation would I have enough damage to kill people? Right now Im running jullianos and lich I just torn apart it seems.
    Edited by WacArnold on April 11, 2017 11:22PM
  • thankyourat
    thankyourat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @thankyourat is light the best for magblade now? I always feel extremely squishy in light if I were to run something like rattle (I really like the idea of freeing up bar space) and transmutation would I have enough damage to kill people? Right now Im running jullianos and lich I just torn apart it seems.

Light armor is pretty weak. You are going to be squishy. I still think heavy armor is a lot better on magblade. Heavy julianos and transmutation with a monster set is a really strong build. You would have ok burst. It won't be crazy but it's enough to get kills
  • Sheuib
    Sheuib
    ✭✭✭✭
    The best thing to do is get on the eso wiki page and read through all the armor sets. That way you can really know what you want to do. And one bit of advice is to try and have weapons from a crafted set because the right weapons are such a pain to farm unless it comes in a unique version.
  • WacArnold
    WacArnold
    ✭✭✭
    Is mighty chudan strong with heavy armor?
  • Metemsycosis
    Metemsycosis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Till a 2h ultimate shows on the death recap yeah
    Terethea Magdalena, Breton Nightblade
    A Dark-Adapted Eye, Imperial Necromancer

sanguinare vampiris

https://m.twitch.tv/amcrenshaw/profile
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on what ya want to do.

Do you want to be a glass cannon? Because you can do that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aND76kAuVo
  • TheBonesXXX
    TheBonesXXX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just go sword and board / ice staff with bloodspawn

you wont hit as hard, but you'll last in the fight longer.

Right now melee-mageblade is in a *** spot because ZoS doesn't know how to buff conceal weapon and impale doesn't always execute on the range its supposed to.

That and cloak is borked with the metric tons of stealth counter play do to players who are to lazy to learn how to track elusive play.
  • WacArnold
    WacArnold
    ✭✭✭
    Xsorus wrote: »
    Depends on what ya want to do.

Do you want to be a glass cannon? Because you can do that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aND76kAuVo

No glass Cannon, that is what I am now I want to be tanky
  • QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You can use concealed for the speed buff though and it hits pretty hard if you come across someone in medium I wouldn't use it for main spammable though. I think destro/resto is probably the best. It's the most complete and versatile build. You could be a ganker. I actually think magblades are better gankers than stamblades now. Honestly any magblade build would be good for harassing that's pretty much it's thing. A light armor build that's pretty good is 5 necro/5 spinners destro/resto or 5 necro/5 seducer if you like to cloak alot or 5 julianos/5 lich/2 kena is strong as well with the shadow mundus

I don't care for concealed, but I feel like I have to put it on the bar for the speed boost. Need to fund another magicka based passive speed boost if possible
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My build is here:

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/329000/easy-magicka-nightblade-pvp-build-non-vampire

Not dual-wield, but I have currently dropped the resto staff for 2H. Squishiness is high. It's tough playing with only one shield, however the build aims for an improved chance of cloaking away when things get too hot. To that end I use Skooma Smuggler, Concealed Weapon and Forward Momentum for speed and snare immunity. I use Troll King to get some healing back into the build.

The reason Concealed Weapon sucks with DW, compared to a stam build, is that your light attacks are doing very little damage. You are weaving light attacks, right? You can aim to make up some of that by going for a Torug's Pact and Infused weapons build. I believe Kristofer ESO has such a build on YouTube. I didn't think it performed very well, though. Especially now that flame staves buff single target damage by 8%, I think they are the better option.

The reason to go for light armor is the cost reduction. Use the cheaper Shadowy Disguise morph over Dark Cloak, and you can run around perma-cloaked. You can achieve the same with heavy armor, but you'll compromise your damage by, for example, wearing Seducer. Even with light armor you'll need, at the very least, a regen drink, such as Witchmother's Potent Brew. This is in the CP campaigns. In non-CP, perma-cloak, e.g. no loss of magicka while cloaking every 2.9s, is harder to achieve.

Using Radiant Magelight and Dampen Magic protects you very well against gankers while turning a flag. In some respects a light armor build can feel quite tanky. Misjudge your shield rotation, though, and you're toast. Equally, if you don't keep up your Siphoning Attacks and, thus, your stamina. I find that pretty indispensible. When I tried Amber Plasm, the 300 stam regen from that set gets you to about 1K. Quite nice, but not enough to make Siphoning Attacks redundant.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB