Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

can any1 tell me the definitive answer to how Treasure Hunter works?

HeathenDeacon
HeathenDeacon
✭✭✭
Ever since i started playing again like a month ago and had enough CP to spec into Treasure Hunter I've been asking people in game exactly what it does.
Unfortunetly I continually get conflicting answers to the point i think i've heard a dozen different explanations.
-Have the Devs ever commneted about it?

some of the theories I've herad:
1. It effects ALL loot drops, chests, bosses, etc.
2. It increases the quality of all chest drops including locked chests and dark anchors, and it is the only way to get gold drops from both chests.
3. It only effects locked chests, improving the quality of drops.
4. It only effects locked chests, and works basically upgrading the items found to what would be in one higher level chest lock.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It affects chests only. It does nothing to mob drops or boss mob drops.

It does not seem to affect dark anchor chests at all. Regardless of whether you have treasure hunter active you will receive a mix of green, blue and purple jewelry.

You can't get gold gear items from chests whether they are boosted by treasure hunter or not.

Treasure hunter bumps the level of the chest by 1. You do not have to be the person unlocking the chest. It will affect your loot only. If it's a group chest, other players receive their loot and if they have treasure hunter it will boost it for them.

Overland chests including those in delves and public dungeons have 4 qualities, simple, intermediate, advanced and master. Simple chests have set loot at an extremely low chance, Intermediate is about 50%, advanced is 100% and Master is 100% with a chance of double set loot and it will be purple quality (if you receive double set loot, your second piece is of green quality). If you have treasure hunter, you will receive loot as if the chest is one level higher.

In dungeons and trials, chests work in a similar way except that the quality level of the loot is locked at blue for non vet and purple for vet.
    Edited by redspecter23 on April 15, 2017 12:06AM
  • HeathenDeacon
    HeathenDeacon
    ✭✭✭
    thanks for the detailed answer. seems like a combination of almost everything i'd heard or experienced personally.
    i definitely agree it doesnt seem to effect dark anchors despite what people tell me, and thats good cause i prefer farming them on a toon i dont have the passive on currently.
    -So gold jewelry would then only come from the cyrodil weekly vendor or something?

thanks again.
    Edited by HeathenDeacon on April 15, 2017 12:39AM
  • MakoFore
    MakoFore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It affects chests only. It does nothing to mob drops or boss mob drops.

It does not seem to affect dark anchor chests at all. Regardless of whether you have treasure hunter active you will receive a mix of green, blue and purple jewelry.

You can't get gold gear items from chests whether they are boosted by treasure hunter or not.

Treasure hunter bumps the level of the chest by 1. You do not have to be the person unlocking the chest. It will affect your loot only. If it's a group chest, other players receive their loot and if they have treasure hunter it will boost it for them.

Overland chests including those in delves and public dungeons have 4 qualities, simple, intermediate, advanced and master. Simple chests have set loot at an extremely low chance, Intermediate is about 50%, advanced is 100% and Master is 100% with a chance of double set loot and it will be purple quality (if you receive double set loot, your second piece is of green quality). If you have treasure hunter, you will receive loot as if the chest is one level higher.

In dungeons and trials, chests work in a similar way except that the quality level of the loot is locked at blue for non vet and purple for vet.

props for a brilliant answer
  • Vosital
    Vosital
    ✭✭✭✭
    It makes loot from chest better. It's particularly useful for farming dungeons for set pieces.
  • HeathenDeacon
    HeathenDeacon
    ✭✭✭
    so where to find gold jewelry?
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gold jewelry: currently ONLY available from the weekend golden vendor, or as an end of campaign pvp reward for being in the top 2% of the leaderboard for your home campaign.

You can't actually see what the top 2% are...the best strategy if you're trying for this is to have another character go into that same campaign and repair ONE wall. On the campaign score sheet they'll then be ranked. If they are #2500, then that's roughly how many are on the board. 2500 x 0.02 = 50, so roughly the top fifty spots will win purple reward items.