Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Best dungeons if you've never grouped before/getting started grouping?

BillK
BillK
I'm on Xbox, NA server. Playing a Magicka Templar. I guess I'm dps, but really don't even know if I'm any good since I've soloed exclusively 99.9% for the past 3 months since I started. I have 252cp and have never grouped for a dungeon. Actually I've only grouped one time with some random cp600 dude to kill Deshaan Overland bosses and had a fun time, even though he spoke Spanish and I had no clue what he was saying for 2 hours.:). I suspect he carried me through most of those fights and I was just along for the ride mashing buttons.

Anyway, I'm getting bored with soloing, doing crafting dailies, hunting skyshards and farming the same delve over and over.

My problem is I'm not terribly social and haven't the first clue on what to even expect in a group dungeon setting or what would be expected of me by a group. I don't want to embarrass myself or ruin other people's experience with my grouping noobieness.

So if I take the chance and queue up - what are some good dungeons to start with to get my feet wet? Should I count on having my headset on for instructions etc or is it not really necessary? Any tips?

I'm in three guilds (Selfless Thieves, Lunar Collective and Nightshade Consortium) and am even more apprehensive about grouping with guildies in case I really suck and would have to see them on a daily basis in chat. I figure if I group with strangers and suck I'll probably never see them again.
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Aww. Shame you aren't on pc, I'd run with you. You seem very...self conscious which automatically makes you far from worst person to group with - even if you're imperfect, you can improve ;) Some people are not capable of that.

Start with normal dungeons, they're really easy and will help you not be afraid of grouping so much I think :) Plus the crowd is generally a lot more relaxed for these. Dungeons I are generally the easiest, so stuff like Spindle I you'd probably find just as easy, if not easier, as soloing openworld(you can even solo these). Dungeons II are a bit more mechanics heavy, though on normal you can breeze through without noticing most of them tbh. Dlc dungeons are very mechanics heavy even on normal.

For vet dungeons the same distinction applies for the most part, they did op one-shot mechanics to last bosses of dungeons I though so there's that. But say vet Wayrest I and even II are extremely easy to the point where they don't even really feel like vet dungeons.
    Vet dungeons II will have a mechanic or two you can't ignore generally and some dps checks. Dlc dungeons are extremely mechanics heavy on veteran and you might want to keep these til the end, especially the SotH ones.

If you're looking for build tips, there're quite a few guides online. Some very generic tips would be to have 17-20k health to avoid getting oneshot in dungeons(for vet ones at least) and not stand in red ;)
    Edited by Magdalina on April 7, 2017 5:56AM
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, while you might be uncomfortable with your performance with the guild, the guild should be the first place to ask for help imo. It's a good place to get your feet wet into the world of dungeon running and guildies should be able to teach ya the good basics of dps, tanking or healing in dungeons. Imo, counting on strangers more on counting on friends (albeit online friends) seems counter productive.

I would definitely offer to help but I'm not on Xbox. However I'm sure there are a few here in the forums who would be more than willing to help.

I would also point out that if you have a guild that has a training dummy, use it to gauge your damage. It's not perfect since it's not as dynamic as a dungeon boss but it does give you some inkling of what you can bring to the team as a dps.

Hope this helps!
    Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RavenSworn wrote: »
    Honestly, while you might be uncomfortable with your performance with the guild, the guild should be the first place to ask for help imo. It's a good place to get your feet wet into the world of dungeon running and guildies should be able to teach ya the good basics of dps, tanking or healing in dungeons. Imo, counting on strangers more on counting on friends (albeit online friends) seems counter productive.

I would definitely offer to help but I'm not on Xbox. However I'm sure there are a few here in the forums who would be more than willing to help.

I would also point out that if you have a guild that has a training dummy, use it to gauge your damage. It's not perfect since it's not as dynamic as a dungeon boss but it does give you some inkling of what you can bring to the team as a dps.

Hope this helps!
    Yes it depend a bit on that guild you are in, some guilds are pretty elitist simply as core has played since launch.
    It might be an idea to join some more relaxed ones if it feels like that.

And the training dummy is nice to train on, both rotation and sustain as avoiding running out of resources.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Run the first version of any dungeons that have two versions or any dungeon on normal.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd start off with Fungal Grotto 1 and City of Ash 1 on normal. Those are 2 of the easiest and would give you an idea of what you're in for without throwing too many mechanics at you other than "get out of the red" Move on to other normal dungeons after that and don't even worry about vet versions until you're comfortable with normal.
  • pasmith_ESO
    pasmith_ESO
    ✭✭
    Thanks for this post and for the folks who offered advice. I'm in pretty much the same place as the OP, only I'm on PS4. I want to start doing group content (though I'm only 140cp) but really don't want to be "that guy" who ruins a run for the rest of the group, and I don't want some stranger telling me what a piece of donkey dung I am because I made a mistake. (But if someone with more experience has constructive suggestions to make, I'm all ears.)