Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Returning player - advice on builds and how to get gear?

Verdank
Verdank
Soul Shriven
Hey all,

So I recently installed the game again, wanting to give it another shot. I've had a bit of advice from zone chat but I'd like a broader input if anyone cares to help?

Firstly, the last time I played properly VR was still around. I hit VR1 and then kind of drifted off as my guild moved back to SWTOR. I'm currently playing a stamnb with bow + dw/2h (haven't quite decided which I prefer), so any input on their viability for PvP and soloing would be great! I'd also like to know the best way to acquire decent gear, as I tried playing in Cyrodiil last night only to get 2-shotted by pretty much every single player there.

When asking in zone chat I got a decent response, most people telling me to either hit Champ 160 or to go delving for gear. If anyone can suggest good places to delve, or the best way to reach Champ 160 that would be great.

That's all for now really, though I may have more questions as time passes. I look forward to hearing from you all!
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A big difference in the game is it is now possible to get a 5 piece dropped set and use it. All the zones drop a Magic set, a Stamina set and a Health or Tank set. Visit some dolmens, a public dungeon, some delves and a world boss or two and you have a complete set. May not be the ultimate traits but no big deal really.

As for leveling, here is the method I use to level characters to L50, and it should work going from CP10 to CP160 too to an extent. But you do want to get a character to CP160 before leveling others. This way, all characters are CP160 once you reach L50 and then the gear you get you keep using until you find something better. Because you won't be out-leveling it even if you gain more CPs.

Now, of course there are the old grind methods to gaining CPs, but I find those mind numbing after a while. My method at least offers some variety and does not impact any quests in the game.

Leveling in One Tamriel:
    1. I collected all the Skyshards in the zone. I avoided any and all quests other than those that show up in the delves that have skyshards. These quests do not give set items for rewards so no loss there.
    2. I would farm the dolmens a few times to get set jewelry that helped my character
    3. I would do the Public Dungeons including all the bosses
    4. Then I would move to the next zone.
    5. Pick up the Blue Lore books along the way that I saw

In doing this, I could fully gear up my character with level appropriate stuff, and it was helpful gear. May not have been the best, but you don't need the best while leveling. Any gear I farmed from Dolmens or PD's is repeatable, so I can get it at CP160 by just repeating. Then, I had all the content quests left for me once I reached CP160 as those can give you sweet Set Drops in good traits you want. And, Quest Experience is huge for gaining CPs once your past CP
    161. Kind of a waste before that.

In about 8 zones, I would be fully leveled in Mages, Fighters, Class, 3 Armors and Weapon Skills. Leaving only Undaunted to level, although I would get to 3 in that from Dungeon Achievements.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Tomg999
    Tomg999
    ✭✭✭✭
    Look online for the best sets and see where they drop. This is a good resource:
    elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Sets

If you don't group as much (like me), look for the sets that are in a region such as Deshaan, then jump into the crowd doing Dolmens or go to a public dungeon, or go do the delves and kill the boss. You will get a bunch of good gear plus level/gain CP.
    Edited by Tomg999 on April 13, 2017 3:08PM
  • Verdank
    Verdank
    Soul Shriven
    That's great, thanks for the advice so far. I'll give your leveling method a go, I'm currently sitting in an Anchor group grinding off some XP, I'll check out where to get these sets now. As far as PvP goes, is there any PvP specific gear I should aim for? Just to stop the steamrolling I've been getting from every tom *** and harry I come across.