The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

What does/is Proc stand for/ short for?

AtraisMachina
AtraisMachina
✭✭✭
I always hear the word. I use the word. Sometimes it seems like people use it wrong but when they ask what it means im like? I guess idk
Edited by AtraisMachina on April 11, 2017 11:31PM
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see it as "Programmed Random OCcurrence", but there are other ways of saying the acronym. It's basically when something that has a % chance to occur occurs.

Edited by FriedEggSandwich on April 11, 2017 11:38PM
    PC | EU
  • AtraisMachina
    AtraisMachina
    ✭✭✭
    Programmed Random occurrence. Gotcha.
    I see it as "Programmed Random OCcurrence", but there are other ways of saying the acronym. It's basically when something that has a % chance to occur occurs.

What about Gank? Definition and what it stand for?
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a bacronym. The original meaning was, "procedure..." something. I honestly don't remember the full phrase though.

EDIT: Might have just been, "procedural function," come to think of it.
    Edited by starkerealm on April 11, 2017 11:42PM
  • HatchetHaro
    HatchetHaro
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not shorthand of anything I know.
    Here's Google's definition.
    - (in a video game) use underhand means to defeat or kill (a less experienced opponent)
    Best Argonian NA and I will fight anyone for it

17 Argonians

6x IR, 6x GH, 7x TTT, 4x GS, 4x DB, 1x PB, 3x SBS, 1x Unchained
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

A gank is to kill someone without them knowing of your existence prior. So if I leap from the shadows and blast ya with (insert awesome death ability here) from behind and you're dead before you know what just happened - you got ganked
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • AtraisMachina
    AtraisMachina
    ✭✭✭
    Bacronym?
  • Paulington
    Paulington
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Gank has two meanings, the less popular one being to steal (portmanteau of grab and yank) and the most popular being to be killed suddenly or by a group (a contraction of gang kill), often in circumstances perceived to be unfair by the victim.
    Edited by Paulington on April 11, 2017 11:46PM
  • AtraisMachina
    AtraisMachina
    ✭✭✭
    Paulington wrote: »

Gank has two meanings, the less popular one being to steal (portmanteau of grab and yank) and the most popular being to be killed suddenly or by a group (a contraction of gang kill).

Gotcha
  • IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

gank
    /ɡaNGk/
    verb
    (in video games) to hide and kill enemy players from stealth
    (in the real world) to rob someone

Maybe in the older multiplayer games when you killed someone you got to keep their stuff?
    Edited by IcyDeadPeople on April 12, 2017 12:05AM
  • Domander
    Domander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Procedural effect
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Gank is a FAKE word (like fake news). It probably is rooted in "getting shanked in prison". Gank was created by video game players in order to be "more hood".
  • IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Gank is a FAKE word (like fake news). It probably is rooted in "getting shanked in prison". Gank was created by video game players in order to be "more hood".

It was used in the US a long time before video games. At that time it meant getting robbed.
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paulington wrote: »

Gank has two meanings, the less popular one being to steal (portmanteau of grab and yank) and the most popular being to be killed suddenly or by a group (a contraction of gang kill), often in circumstances perceived to be unfair by the victim.

Yeah I always thought it meant "gang kill"
    PC | EU
  • Publius_Scipio
    Publius_Scipio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

It was used in the US a long time before video games. At that time it meant getting robbed.

!
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Domander wrote: »
    Procedural effect
    This its an special effect who changes the normal behavior of an ability.
    Sorcerer crystal fragment is an typical one, it has an chance of becoming instant cast 1/3 of the time you cast an spell with it on bar. So an sorc will cast force pulse or other things until crystal frag proc then cast it.

don't have to have random effect, plenty of armor set trigger an effect like doing damage or healing then you do light or heavy attacks and it trigger say once every 10 seconds.

Critical hits are not proc but might well generate proc.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    Domander wrote: »
    Procedural effect
    This its an special effect who changes the normal behavior of an ability.
    Sorcerer crystal fragment is an typical one, it has an chance of becoming instant cast 1/3 of the time you cast an spell with it on bar. So an sorc will cast force pulse or other things until crystal frag proc then cast it.

don't have to have random effect, plenty of armor set trigger an effect like doing damage or healing then you do light or heavy attacks and it trigger say once every 10 seconds.

Critical hits are not proc but might well generate proc.

Might also have simply been, "Procedure call."
  • Casterial
    Casterial
    ✭✭✭✭✭

GANK means "Steal" or "Gang kill.
    Daggerfall Covenant:Casterial Stamplar || Casterial DK || Availed NB || Castyrial Sorc || Spooky Casterial Necro
    The Order of Magnus
    Filthy Faction Hoppers

Combat Is Clunky | Cyordiil Fixes

Kill Counter Developer
    For the Daggerfall Covenant
    The Last Chillrend Empress
    Animation Cancelling
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bacronym?
    The word existed first, and someone reverse-engineered a phrase afterwards to turn it into an acronym of that phrase.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backronym
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Draqone
    Draqone
    ✭✭✭✭
    Proc was simply short for procedure, which in code is often shortened to "proc". Procedures were events that are called to run from other places in the code.
    In computer programming, a procedure is an independent code module that fulfills some concrete task and is referenced within a larger body of source code. This kind of code item can also be called a function or a sub-routine.

Then, since programmers are lazy people, instead of asking "How often is this procedure called?" or "What is the chance that this procedure is called?" they just said "How often does this proc?" and from there it transitioned into gaming.

A proc is basically any additional, independent event that gets called when using an ability.

Example of a Molag kena buff that occurs after 2 light attacks, using no specific language:

IF player USES light_attack AND USES light_attack CALL molag_kena_proc

And then somewhere else in the code:

PROCEDURE molag_kena_proc = ADD molag_kena_buff TO player

where the buff is defined as:

molag_kena_buff = ADD 500_weapon_dmg AND ADD 500_spell_dmg

Hope that helps ;)
    ESO Balance:
    “All skills are equal, but some skills are more equal than others.”
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Proc stands for L2P. Or so I was told.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Proc is short for "Proctology". When your opponents' sets "procs" you will feel like you are taking it in the rear end. Conversely when your set "procs" you then become the "Proctologist" yourself.

Proc.
  • SirCritical
    SirCritical
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »
    Proc is short for "Proctology". When your opponents' sets "procs" you will feel like you are taking it in the rear end. Conversely when your set "procs" you then become the "Proctologist" yourself.

Proc.

This is.... just huge :D
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »

Proc.

This is.... just huge :D

Might want to have a proc take a look at that, then.
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This is the thread for you, a nearly complete list of all the slang used in ESO. In case you come across any new terms.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/136290/the-eso-slang-and-abbreviation-dictionary/p1
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●