Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Morphing

Merlinah123
Is it better to morph your skills. How much do you skills change when you morph. I want to try morphing but there's some skills I really like,

I don't want to ruin my skills & it's a lot of gold to change them back.
Edited by Merlinah123 on April 7, 2017 6:09AM
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Any skill is better morphed. Just read the description carefully when choosing your morph ;) Generally one of the morphs is usually the unmorphed skill+a neat gimmick and the other one is either another gimmick or a stamina version. For example sorc Bolt Escape lets you teleport around and its morph are 1)Streak, which also lets you do damage with each teleport 2)Ball of Lightning, which lets you absorb spell projectiles shot at you as you teleport.

You definitely won't ruin a skill you like this way :) Do read the descriptions though, some morphs differ from each other quite majorly.
  • dpencil
    dpencil
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's actually not expensive to reset morphs. I have over 300 skill points. It's about 11k to reset all points but only 1k to reset morphs. It costs more to reset champ points. My recommendation is to level up both morphs of most skills you like.
    Edited by dpencil on April 7, 2017 6:25AM
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's the base skill plus something.

Only rarely does it change the base skill.

For example, the two handed skill Critical Charge pulls you to the enemy and deals damage. One morph deal more damage based on distance charge while the other morph snares them by 40%. Both are improvements to the skill.

For class skills, some are magica and some are stamina moths, so be careful you only take the ones which you're focusing on.
    Edited by Brrrofski on April 7, 2017 6:29AM
  • Merlinah123
    Ok, thanks! Another dumb question. I like using my bow, can I morph a bow skill with say a siphoning skill? Or do the skills have to be in same skill set?
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, thanks! Another dumb question. I like using my bow, can I morph a bow skill with say a siphoning skill? Or do the skills have to be in same skill set?

Each skill has its own two morphs. You don't morph skills together. Morphing a skill is always a choice between the same two morphs for that skill.
  • Merlinah123
    Gotcha! Thanks!
  • Jciampi
    Jciampi
    ✭✭✭
    http://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Skills

Good site to look at if you want to see skills and morphs ahead of time.

Try what sounds best to you or read up on a build someone has online and what skills/morphs they use.

Don't be afraid to respec and try another morph. Sometimes you like a morph but the other is better for x situation. Example. The main provoke attack for one hand one shield morphs into a) lower physical resistance and give me a shield or b) lower both physical and spell resistance. To me A sounded better. I want a shield. However after running dungeons you learn being a tank isn't about you. It's about the team. So morph B is better as now mages who are DPS can do more damage too.

Play around. Like others said. It's cheap to redo morphs
  • Dottzgaming
    Dottzgaming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brrrofski wrote: »
    It's the base skill plus something.

Only rarely does it change the base skill.

For example, the two handed skill Critical Charge pulls you to the enemy and deals damage. One morph deal more damage based on distance charge while the other morph snares them by 40%. Both are improvements to the skill.

For class skills, some are magica and some are stamina moths, so be careful you only take the ones which you're focusing on.

This basically covers it well

and yeah morphing doesnt combine two skills, it just adds another benefit to the skill and maybe alters its resource. So say the baseline ability is magicka but youre a stamina user, you would want to (if available) morph the skill into the stamina skill so that itll be stronger, since skills scale with your preferred resource.

Also, like others have said, shrines in your main capital can be used to reset morphs ONLY, so you dont have to necessarily reset all of your skills if you just make a couple of bad morphs
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dpencil wrote: »
    It's actually not expensive to reset morphs. I have over 300 skill points. It's about 11k to reset all points but only 1k to reset morphs. It costs more to reset champ points. My recommendation is to level up both morphs of most skills you like.
    CP reset costs 3000g per. Base Skill reset is 3500g, and increments with each use. Base Morph reset is 1500g, and increments with each use.

@Merlinah123
    I don't want to ruin my skills & it's a lot of gold to change them back.
    You won't "ruin" any skills. The majority keeps its base effects + additional damage + perk specific to the morph. There are only a couple I can think of which literally change how they're used as they're converted to toggle abilities (on/off when you want).

You will respec at some point. It's inevitable, so keep at least 20k gold on hand for when you're ready to try new things. What looks good in the tooltip may not do well with your play style. The only difficult part is gaining exp to the new morph.

Never be afraid to try new things. It's how you learn in the game. For quick access to gold, steal things. Even at 40g for the white items, selling 50 per day is 2000g. Spend a skill point to unlock fencing by 100%, which allows you to sell 100 items per day, doubling to 4k. Every so often, you'll find green (100g) and blue (250g) items you can fence. As you level up Legerdemain, these become more frequent finds.

Hope this helps. :smile:
  • Capsaica
    Capsaica
    ✭✭✭
    Violynne wrote: »
    dpencil wrote: »
    CP reset costs 3000g per. Base Skill reset is 3500g, and increments with each use. Base Morph reset is 1500g, and increments with each use.

I do not believe this pricing is correct. The cost to reset skills and morphs is based on a cost of 50 gold per skill point. This is based off of spent skill points, not unused ones. Therefore, if you have only spent 10 skill points (on a very low level character), your full respec cost will be 500 gold. If you only have two skills morphed, your morph reset cost will be 100 gold since it costs one skill point to morph a skill.

On the other hand, if you have spent 300 skill points, your full reset cost will be 15,000 gold. Morphs will be significantly less depending, again, on how many skills you have morphed.

Edited to add that @Violynne is correct about the CP reset cost. It remains at 3000 gold for any character as far as I am aware.
    Edited by Capsaica on April 11, 2017 7:44PM