Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Noob resource gathering question (wood vs cloth)

pj4533
pj4533
✭✭
(I just started the game last week, so I'm still figuring everything out)

I want to use clothing and woodworking crafting. It is unclear to me if or how resource nodes scale in the wild. For example, near daggerfall I only see Jute, if I go up to Rivenspire I start to see more Flax. However, I only ever see Maple in both those zones. (My tailoring level is 2, but my woodworking is 1).

So if I upgrade to woodworking 2, would I see oak at some of those nodes? All of those nodes? How are the level and distribution of resources determined? Per zone? By crafting level? Combination?

Thanks in advance!
  • NikaTheCat
    NikaTheCat
    ✭✭✭
    It was by zone before but they changed it.

Now it is determined partially by your character's level and your character's crafting level.
    You sometimes see Flax because your tailoring level is 2, but sometimes see Jute, because (I assume) below level 15.
    And you always see Maple because your woodworking is 1 and you are below level 15 (again, I assume your level)
  • NikaTheCat
    NikaTheCat
    ✭✭✭
    Wanted to add that this change was implemented so that your character could always find materials suited for their level, but could also find materials suited for their Woodworking/Tailoring/Blacksmithing level so that they can make the appropriate gear for future use for example or for other characters.
  • NikaTheCat
    NikaTheCat
    ✭✭✭
  • pj4533
    pj4533
    ✭✭
    Thanks.....yeah that seems right. Got it....so now that I am level 16 (thanks for the cake, dinged 4 times last night), I should start seeing more Flax and Oak?

• pj4533
    pj4533
    ✭✭
    Right that Wiki confused me tho....cause if you click thru to view the information on the raw material it still has the old information (pre-1tamriel, i assume?)

• NikaTheCat
    NikaTheCat
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, you should start seeing more Oak, and if I understand it right, then you should ONLY see flax.

Just checked, and you are right, it seems they were not updated since last June :smiley:

EDIT: but the table of all materials is correct
    Edited by NikaTheCat on April 5, 2017 12:31PM
  • Tevalaur
    Tevalaur
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sunshine Daydream's Guide to Crafting may help here and the individual craft pages like Sunshine Daydream's Guide to Clothing will help with photos of each material as well. (and yes, I keep it up to date)
    Is Uncle John's band calling you? Do you daydream about Sugar Magnolias? Is your favorite sunflower a China Cat? Tired of Truckin' alone to Terrapin Station? If so, share some Space with other hippies & deadheads in the guild Sunshine Daydream! Send a message in game (PC-NA) to Kaibeth for your invitation.
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some basic tips for beginner crafters (especially with birthday event)

For this week

1. The daily quest reward boxes are giving some things that are MASSIVELY valuable for crafters - rare motifs and rare style mats. Do as many of these as you can this week. World boss dailies in Gold Coast, wrothgar and news Bane are a good source of these...plenty of grown ups to protect you, lol. If you don't have dlc access, the fighters and mages guild in any capital city has dailies too.

2. Start crafting writs this week...these reward the gold boxes too, and between the trade skills you can earn six in like twenty minutes...way faster than fighting dailies. To start writs you need to be like level 3 in a skill (I think). Decon some stuff...learn traits...then you go to the mage guild and fight guild in your starter city for training in each of the six skills.

3. For the motif and other stuff rewards, when in doubt don't dispose, store with an alt. If you need the space, create a holding character. As a new player you won't know what it very valuable and what's junk. Don't stress, just hold it until you learn what all this crap is, lol.

General craft tips:

1. Writs are a good way to level your skills, and to start collecting valuable purple and gold mats. What level writ you are asked for is determined by how many points are spent in the first passive for each trade skill. If you "lump" them together, writs all drop at the same place and are easier to complete.

2. As other said, nodes generate based on your player level and trade skill "rank". Not the level,,but how many points spent in that first passive. A good rule of thumb is to keep your trade skills slightly ahead of your player level, so that you're collecting the mats you'll need in the near future. I.e., if you're wearing steel gear right now, level your smith so that you're seeing steel and orichalum (I think that's next) nodes.

3. If you're going to be a crafter, don't worry about spending skill points in these passives. One Tamriel gives you access to all the zones and their shards. Unlike the old days, you can be a crafter and fighter right away.

4. If you want to someday craft the powerful armor sets, Start trait research. As you can, expand the passives to allow 2-3 items at a time. Complete Trait research takes about a year...ugh. Don't stress...but learn the system. And if you move forward w research, there's an android and iOS app called ESO workbench that is INVALUABLE in tracking your research.

• Sordidfairytale
    Sordidfairytale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    davey1107 wrote: »
    4. If you want to someday craft the powerful armor sets, Start trait research. As you can, expand the passives to allow 2-3 items at a time. Complete Trait research takes about a year...ugh. Don't stress...but learn the system. And if you move forward w research, there's an android and iOS app called ESO workbench that is INVALUABLE in tracking your research.

Learn traits on more than one character, I suggest two to begin with. One learns the traits from the bottom of the list up, and one learns them from the top of the list down. This way your account will be self sufficient in no time.

The Vegemite Knight

"if the skeleton kills you, your dps is too low." ~STEVIL

The Elder World of WarScrollCraft Online ~joaaocaampos
  • Gan Xing
    Gan Xing
    ✭✭✭✭
    NikaTheCat wrote: »
    It was by zone before but they changed it.

Now it is determined partially by your character's level and your character's crafting level.
    You sometimes see Flax because your tailoring level is 2, but sometimes see Jute, because (I assume) below level 15.
    And you always see Maple because your woodworking is 1 and you are below level 15 (again, I assume your level)

I noticed this too. I think you will also see jute even when your tailoring level is 50, but you don't have any skill points allocated into the tailor skills.
    Gan Xing - Crafting Nightblade
    Elrana Tinuviel - Hybrid Dragonknight
    Elentári Peregrine - Sorcerer "bank"
    Rán Xīng - Hybrid Templar
    Laurïsil Imlachwen - Stamina Templar
    Helotë Tinuviel - Hybrid/Magicka Warden
    Odin banker - obv banker
    Yan of the Red Mountain - lvl 3 DK - not sure when I will work on em

Seeks the unusual and unique playstyles...