The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Jester Festival mechanics, practicalities, opinions, etc.

FrancisCrawford
FrancisCrawford
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
With the Jester Festival, we have a bunch of new quests and so on. In case of difficulties, it might be useful to have a thread to discuss particulars. A few minutes in, all I have is this.

Much as for the October/Halloween/Witchmother event:
  • The whole thing starts with you "buying" an invitation scroll from the Crown Store for zero crowns.
  • Using the scroll gets you a quest. The quest is trivial -- go somewhere and talk to a person, period.
  • The reward for that quest includes a memento. (In this case it's a pie.) Using the memento gets you 2 hours of double XP. Any character can use it.
  • Other characters can also buy the scroll, do the quest, and get a reward.

In this case the "person" is a jester, outside the starting city in any of the three alliances. Those are the same people who give you subsequent quests. In these respects, the festival is more like the Christmas/Winter/New Life one.

And of course your quest arrows for quest turn-in give you a choice of three locations.

The Daggerfall quest giver is right outside the eastern gate. He's a lot like Walks-Softly. I like him.

The Vulkhel Guard quest giver is somewhat to the north of town. Her voice is a little too shrill for me. But the graphics on her are pretty funny.

At the time of this writing, I haven't visited the EP one yet. :)

Edit: Now I have. He's outside Ebonheart, not Davon's Watch. Some of his wordplay is pretty good, actually.
Edited by FrancisCrawford on March 23, 2017 5:06PM
  • RapidUrsa
    RapidUrsa
    ✭✭✭✭
    With the Jester Festival, we have a bunch of new quests and so on. In case of difficulties, it might be useful to have a thread to discuss particulars. A few minutes in, all I have is this.

Much as for the October/Halloween/Witchmother event:
    • The whole thing starts with you "buying" an invitation scroll from the Crown Store for zero crowns.
    • Using the scroll gets you a quest. The quest is trivial -- go somewhere and talk to a person, period.
    • The reward for that quest includes a memento. (In this case it's a pie.) Using the memento gets you 2 hours of double XP. Any character can use it.
    • Other characters can also buy the scroll, do the quest, and get a reward.

In this case the "person" is a jester, outside the starting city in any of the three alliances. Those are the same people who give you subsequent quests. In these respects, the festival is more like the Christmas/Winter/New Life one.

And of course your quest arrows for quest turn-in give you a choice of three locations.

The Daggerfall quest giver is right outside the eastern gate. He's a lot like Walks-Softly. I like him.

The Vulkhel Guard quest giver is somewhat to the north of town. Her voice is a little too shrill for me. But the graphics on her are pretty funny.

At the time of this writing, I haven't visited the EP one yet. :)

Cheers for the info
    About Me
    Xbox One - EU
    Gamertag - RapidUrsa
    Overall CP - 500
  • mystfit
    mystfit
    ✭✭✭
    As an over obsessive quest doer, who likes to do alllll quests even simple ones, I was a little bummed to read this message and see I was supposed to get an intro quest from the store. I only started a few weeks ago, so didn't know that was how it was done. Maybe in theofficial write up you can mention going to the crown store to look for quests like that?
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    By the way, it seems as if the XP buff lasts for 2 hours of play on a specific character, rather than 2 hours of clock time.

• DiteHart
    DiteHart
    ✭✭✭
    mystfit wrote: »
    As an over obsessive quest doer, who likes to do alllll quests even simple ones, I was a little bummed to read this message and see I was supposed to get an intro quest from the store. I only started a few weeks ago, so didn't know that was how it was done. Maybe in theofficial write up you can mention going to the crown store to look for quests like that?

I don't think you actually have to use the store. IIRC you still get completion/rewards just from going up to one of the Jesters and talking to them before the first quest. As the OP said, part of the reward is the memento, so if you received it, you should have completed the quest.
    X1/NA (GT: Dite Hart)
    Dite Dielle - Breton Templar
    - Full 9-trait crafter
    - Knows 41 motif styles
    - Covenant, Dominion, and Starter-Island Master Angler
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    DiteHart wrote: »
    mystfit wrote: »

I don't think you actually have to use the store. IIRC you still get completion/rewards just from going up to one of the Jesters and talking to them before the first quest. As the OP said, part of the reward is the memento, so if you received it, you should have completed the quest.

I just took a character straight to one of the jesters. He completed the quest just as if he'd gotten the scroll.

Then to finish the test I got the scroll from the Crown Store. It was of no use to him.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some notes on quest chains:
    • I get the impression that each jester has a fixed quest chain. Is this accurate?
    • How many quests per chain? (Or is there a link listing them all?)
    • Are any of the quests at all hard?
    • I get the impression that the quests are NOT repeatable. Is this accurate? Of course, you can do them on multiple characters.
    • There are actually two titles for this event. One, just for doing the quests is Lord of Misrule (or Lady of Misrule). The other, which also includes learning all the recipes and so on, is Royal Jester.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as I know, there are no quest chains, it's just one quest per Jester per day (after the intro quest). Each of the three quests can be done once a day.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • WNAPosadzkib16_ESO
    WNAPosadzkib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Tedious.

The game mechanics of the butcher is ludicrous. She spots you even when you are behind her.
    You can't steal the apples without being seen, even with stealth pots.

Boring, boring, boring, boring.
    Alarm clocks kill dreams. A conclusion is simply where you stopped thinking. The measure of the greatness of a society lies in how it treats its weakest members.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    As far as I know, there are no quest chains, it's just one quest per Jester per day (after the intro quest). Each of the three quests can be done once a day.

That is now my impression too.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tedious.

The game mechanics of the butcher is ludicrous. She spots you even when you are behind her.
    You can't steal the apples without being seen, even with stealth pots.

Boring, boring, boring, boring.

Both my nightblades fed the pig without being seen initially.

The second one actually got the achievement for not being seen along the way back to the Jester either.

But if there's a way to take the apples without getting a bounty, I haven't figured it out.
  • aquiella
    aquiella
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone gotten any of the Jester trees? I've been getting tons of banners on ALL my characters.
  • TeeOhDublDee
    From what I've seen you have to complete the Royale Jester Achievement to unlock the Jester tree from the achievement trader. It doesn't drop from the reward boxes. I've been trying for days to get one Dubious Throne recipe to complete mine. I'm drowning in a sea of jester banners though!
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    What are the mechanics of festooning another player with cherry blossoms for the "Smile in the Name of the Queen" achievement, as opposed to just scattering petals on the floor.

And does it matter whether you use the one-use consumable item or the cherry blossom memento?
  • EATherrian
    What are the mechanics of festooning another player with cherry blossoms for the "Smile in the Name of the Queen" achievement, as opposed to just scattering petals on the floor.

And does it matter whether you use the one-use consumable item or the cherry blossom memento?

This is a good question. I've used the item and the memento in a crowded bank but haven't got anything.
  • LadyDestiny
    LadyDestiny
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, I would prefer a double xp event without an event. More time to focus on grinding than trying to get a gold recipe with the horrid rng system. Suggestion: Make double xp a seperate event and make the festivals a token system. Run dailies to earn tokens and just buy the stuff off jester venders. Put better quality items on jester vender, not just banners and princess recipies. Make more festival quests that rotate out instead if the same boring quest everyday.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    EATherrian wrote: »

This is a good question. I've used the item and the memento in a crowded bank but haven't got anything.

Actually, I wound up festooning people very quickly (several at a time) in the Craglorn bank. Just quickslot the item (I had the reusable one), stand right next to crowd facing them, and fire off the quickslot.

Having been festooned myself without experiencing annoyance, I felt it was OK to do to others too. :)