The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

New player confused by the quest routes

Dashiva_USA
Dashiva_USA
Soul Shriven
So my wife and I are new players to the game and we want to quest, play together etc. I rolled a Nord and she is a high elf. I worked out how to get to Khenarthi's Roost and join her and we have been working our way through the quests there.

I am now reading about a 'main questline', 'faction questline' and that certain zones are for specific factions etc. I'm just confused honestly, we want to just level up together but I don't want to be missing the main story for my race/faction. Can someone point me in the right direction here, ideally a website or something with the breakdown of questlines etc.

My other question is, are there any good mods that people would recommend. I'd like to get all the XP I can from discovering places, skyshards, reading books etc. Is there any addon that will help with this?
  • Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Welcome :)

You can do the zone quests together any way you please.

The main story is a single player story and you won't be able to play any of it together regardless of faction.
    Same goes for parts of the guild stories.

Other than that, have fun questing. Some great stuff out there. And feel free to ask further questions as they arise.
    Just tag @Jitterbug to make sure I see it on here :)
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can do all three faction quest lines now, just follow hers then afterwards you can both go to the Ebonheard zones and do your factions.

The main quest line will most likely take you back to Stonefalls just to access the Harbourage location but they're all private instances any way.

You can't ever miss a quest past accidentally running past it, all zones are open any time letting you quest and adventure in any order. Just find quests with your wife and enjoy.

If you're not looking for the adventure and hunting side of Mage Books and Skyshards there are two add-ons (Lorebooks and Skyshards) which will show markers for them all on your maps.

Download the Minion add-on client and you can search for them on there and then install via that.

There are also some add-ons which will mark quest locations on there (though sometimes it has extra ghosted ones which can be confusing), I don't remember the name but just search "quest" on Minion and it should show you them.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    we want to just level up together but I don't want to be missing the main story for my race/faction.

Just one thing on this score. The game is level adjusted, so if you end up 10 levels above your wife (or the other way around), the main difference will be in the investment in skill progression. The person with the higher level will have more selection in terms of what is put in the 5 slots on the bar, and may have some more powerful morphs. This will not prevent you from traveling together. The level difference will not mean that the higher level player is "carrying" the other, especially with two accounts that have not reached Level 50.
    My other question is, are there any good mods that people would recommend. I'd like to get all the XP I can from discovering places, skyshards, reading books etc. Is there any addon that will help with this?

There are add-ons that will tell you where Skyshards are, for skill point advancement, and where the Mage's Guild lore books are, for advancement there, as well as POI and quest locations.

The books you get from book shelves that increase skill lines are numerous, so stop at all bookshelves. I don't know if there are any add-ons that would tell you anything there.

I use the Skyshards one, but I admit that I found most of them before there was such a thing. Today, I use it to remind me about whether a particular character has found it, not where it is.

I do not use the lore books add-on because I prefer to happen across them, as intended. In general, I tend to stay away from add-ons that tell me where things are that are intended to be found during exploration. Lore books would make for a pretty cluttered map.

I used a questing add-on early in the game that would identify quest givers that my character had not been to. This was for the zone "Adventurer" achievements where it is necessary to get a certain number of quests in each zone. Finding the one missing quest in a couple of the zones caused early hair loss and frequent anger management classes :smile: . This add-on is out of date, now, but I don't need it. (No hair left :smile: )

I use Destinations, which reveals POI locations on the map. At this point I don't need to know where most these places are, and those that I don't know are more fun to find than to be told about, but it reminds me that I need to go to certain places on characters that are new to a zone, or may have only partially explored a zone. Destinations has filters that allow me to turn off stuff I don't want to be told about.

Edited by Elsonso on March 25, 2017 12:23PM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Dashiva_USA
    Dashiva_USA
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks for all the replies, I love the minion program, it's made installing mods so easy!
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey there! You asked for a breakdown of questlines, so here we go!
    • The Main Quest is a primarily solo-only questline given by the Prophet in the Harborage. Assuming you are Ebonheart Pact and your wife is Aldmeri Dominion, your Harborage will be near Davon's Watch in Stonefalls and hers will be near Vulkhel Guard in Auridon. You won't be able to do these quests together.
    • Each alliance has a "home territory" of 5 main zones and one or two "starter islands". The Alliance Story (or "faction questline") leads you through these zones in a particular order. While the game will attempt to lead you through your home faction's questline first, there is nothing to stop you from travelling to another territory and completing a different faction questline.
      • Khenarthi's Roost is the starter island for the Aldmeri Dominion, so by travelling there, you will be able to complete the Aldmeri Dominion faction questline.
      • Assuming you have an Ebonheart Pact character, once you finish the Aldmeri Dominion storyline, I would recommend travelling to Bleakrock Isle, from where you can pick up the start of the Ebonheart Pact storyline.
    • The Mages Guild and Fighters Guild both have their own questlines, and like the Main Quest, these are primarily solo-only.
    • Each zone also has a number of side quests which do not form a part of the Alliance storyline through that zone. To find these quests, you'll have to go exploring, as you will not be led directly to them.
    For a breakdown of the primary questlines, see This flow chart. For details on all the quests in the game, start here.

I haven't touched on questlines of Neutral zones or DLC content here, so don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions!
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • toxikh.earth89neb18_ESO
    i have Skyshards, Lorebooks, Destionations as addons
  • Ruthven
    Ruthven
    ✭✭✭
    After seeing the cluster fudge in the General Discussion forums, it's refreshing to see such helpful people here.

Kudos to all of you. :)