The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

VMA Questions

ESOMark
ESOMark
Hello

So I just finished normal maelstron arena with ease elides getting the mechanics on the argonian section and had a few questions before I take on vma after I get geared up.

First, what are the differences between normal and veteran? Is it just health and damage? Or is there more?

Next, is it possible to let's say go through three stages, then leave the arena and come back and teleport to stage 3?

Lastly, are maelstrom weapons guaranteed in the end chest?

Thanks
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't been able to figure out how to get in to normal MA. I need practice using my character without getting wrecked. I've never played a game before where I needed to think about rotations.
  • dpencil
    dpencil
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ESOMark
    The mechanics are similar but more punishing. Same for mobs. Similar, just stronger.

You can leave and come back to start an arena where you left off, but you won't be able to keep progress in an arena, so if you get to the 5th round on the 9th arena and leave for long time, when you come back you have to start at round 1 of arena 9 again. If you come back quickly, like from getting disconnected you will still be on the same round. The run is also not considered no-death or viable for the leaderboards if you leave.

Yes, you get a weapon at the end every time now.

@DaveMoeDee
    Go to your Group window. Top of the window lets you choose between Normal and Veteran mode.
    Edited by dpencil on March 26, 2017 3:24AM
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    dpencil wrote: »
    @ESOMark
    The mechanics are similar but more punishing. Same for mobs. Similar, just stronger.

You can leave and come back to start an arena where you left off, but you won't be able to keep progress in an arena, so if you get to the 5th round on the 9th arena and leave for long time, when you come back you have to start at round 1 of arena 9 again. If you come back quickly, like from getting disconnected you will still be on the same round. The run is also not considered no-death or viable for the leaderboards if you leave.

Yes, you get a weapon at the end every time now.

@DaveMoeDee
    Go to your Group window. Top of the window lets you choose between Normal and Veteran mode.

There is a group window for vMA? Good to know.
  • Drummerx04
    Drummerx04
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The sad truth of nMA is that it really doesn't prepare you for vMA in any way. Basically, if you can can finish nMA naked with only one weapon in < 40 minutes without dying, that may be a similar difficulty to the first 2-3 rounds of vMA.
    PC/NA - Nightfighters, Raid Leader and Officer
    Lilith Arujo - DC sorc tank/dps/healer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, Gryphon Heart, Grand Warlord
    Lilith Tortorici - DC templar trials healer

Notable Completions:
    vAS (72k), vMoL HM (160k), vAA HM (135k), vHRC HM, vSO HM (141k), vHoF HM (168k), vCR+3(129k), vDSA 45k, vMA 591k

Original Addons:
    Lilith's Group Manager
    Lilith's Lazy Hacks - Auto Recharge/Repair
    Bot Scanner 2000
    Lilith's Command History
    Maintained Addons:
    Kill Counter
  • Skinzz
    Skinzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vma compared to normal is 300% harder. Mobs will hit you much harder. You will have to know where everything spawns and focus on killing certain mobs asap otherwise you would be in trouble. A lot of one shot mechanics as well.
    Anybody got a group? LFG, anybody? Hello?
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's true, I didn't actually learn the mechanics in nMSA as I just burnt stuff, vMSA def was a game changer.

Self healing is pretty key, auto heals like Power Surge etc

But it's a mega challenge, great content, perfect build test.

Enjoy working on that first clear :)
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • souravami
    souravami
    ✭✭✭✭
    nMA isn't a good place for practicing for vMA. The difficulty spike between these 2 modes is insane. Just go to vMA and try one round at a time.
    And yes, if you've taken the quest from Fa-Nuit-Hen you can leave the arena on round 3 and can come back later and continue round 3 again.
    PC NA
    vMOL. vAA HM. vHRC HM. vSO HM. vMA on every single class.
    "A game should be fun to play. Balance always comes second."
  • dpencil
    dpencil
    ✭✭✭✭
    DaveMoeDee wrote: »

@DaveMoeDee
    Not specifically for Maestrom. I mean the group menu where you can join the group finder or see a list of the people in your group. It's the same place where you can choose to leave your group. At the top of that window, when you're looking at the members of your group, even if you're just by yourself. There are two shields. One for Normal mode and one for Vet. Select either one to change the difficulty of the dungeons you enter, including Maelstrom.
  • ESOMark
    ESOMark
    Okay, all of you were right lmao! I couldn't even pass the first round. Which is pretty depressing but should I just continue to learn the rounds to get used to it?
  • ESOMark
    ESOMark
    I'm playing as a stam dk right now with really no armor sets, I'm looking to get vo and nmg, will this make a difference because I find myself getting one shorted and dying so quickly?
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    dpencil wrote: »
    DaveMoeDee wrote: »

@DaveMoeDee
    Not specifically for Maestrom. I mean the group menu where you can join the group finder or see a list of the people in your group. It's the same place where you can choose to leave your group. At the top of that window, when you're looking at the members of your group, even if you're just by yourself. There are two shields. One for Normal mode and one for Vet. Select either one to change the difficulty of the dungeons you enter, including Maelstrom.

I am familiar for the group menu in the group finder. MA is not a group activity, so I didn't think the group finder would apply there. Thanks for the info.
  • dpencil
    dpencil
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ESOMark Even if it's not a best in slot set, you should have at least one 5 piece set, 2 if you dual wield of sword and shield and a monster set. Just make all the pieces purple if they're not what you intend to run forever. As far as learning the rounds, there are some guides out there that walk you through everything. Other than that, practice, practice. The last boss took me a week to finally beat, so...be ready for a big learning curve.
    Edited by dpencil on March 26, 2017 7:52PM
  • ESOMark
    ESOMark
    Alrighty. I appreciate the help from everyone! Time to grind out this VMA. Oh boy
  • kadar
    kadar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESOMark wrote: »
    I'm playing as a stam dk right now with really no armor sets, I'm looking to get vo and nmg, will this make a difference because I find myself getting one shorted and dying so quickly?

Have someone craft you 5 NMG and 4 Hundings or something to get you started!
  • Lukums1
    Lukums1
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hello.

Not to brag but this has helped hundreds of people and I think would do wonders for you also:

Depending on class/race just leave your messages here I'll respond when I can @Lukums1

https://twitch.tv/videos/111730700

https://twitch.tv/videos/122369772

Best of luck!
    PS4 Yellow Scum Dominion
    1600+ vMA runs and counting
    Magicka Sorc - Flawless - 544k Score
    Stam Sorc - Flawless - 559k Score
    Stam DK - FLAWLESS 512k Score
    Stam NB - 492k Score - Work in progress
    Magicka Temp - 482k Score

The Ozmeric Dominion (Oceanic) Australian Based Guild

vMA "guru" - VHRC - vSO - vSOHM - vDSA - vAA - vMOL
    The Maelstrom BIBLE for beginners/Flawless Achieve Below
    https://www.twitch.tv/lukumms/v/111730700
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/181142505

You have vMA questions? Want a guide? Helping hand? PM me!

Returns after 6 months back to back flawless
    https://go.twitch.tv/videos/180384648

• Drummerx04
    Drummerx04
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, all of you were right lmao! I couldn't even pass the first round. Which is pretty depressing but should I just continue to learn the rounds to get used to it?

That's what I like to hear. vMA is what will mold an bad/average pve player into actually a fairly decent player. The reaction times, self survival skills, and damage dealt while under pressure make you pretty universally less useless in all pve content.

It will be frustrating, you will die a lot. Some rounds you probably won't find too difficult honestly, and others will kick the crap out of you. The final boss is pretty universally the biggest hurdle for everyone. Any mistake on that usually results in a horrible struggle to stabilize or more commonly instant death.

Just know that when you finally finish the arena and get your very first charged vMA restoration staff that the real reward of vMA is being a half decent player.
    PC/NA - Nightfighters, Raid Leader and Officer
    Lilith Arujo - DC sorc tank/dps/healer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, Gryphon Heart, Grand Warlord
    Lilith Tortorici - DC templar trials healer

Notable Completions:
    vAS (72k), vMoL HM (160k), vAA HM (135k), vHRC HM, vSO HM (141k), vHoF HM (168k), vCR+3(129k), vDSA 45k, vMA 591k

Original Addons:
    Lilith's Group Manager
    Lilith's Lazy Hacks - Auto Recharge/Repair
    Bot Scanner 2000
    Lilith's Command History
    Maintained Addons:
    Kill Counter
  • Bobby_V_Rockit
    Bobby_V_Rockit
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in same position, I have the 5x VO set but now trying to figure out if Spriggan's Thorns or Night Mother's Gaze is better for vMA
  • Lukums1
    Lukums1
    ✭✭✭✭

I'm in same position, I have the 5x VO set but now trying to figure out if Spriggan's Thorns or Night Mother's Gaze is better for vMA

General rules are as follows:

STAM SORC - NMG or TFS + VO
    STAM DK - TFS + VO
    STAM NB - TFS + VO

You run NMG for the crit as heals come from how often you crit on a sorc.

You also have to weigh up Major fracture with DK and NB using breath and surprise attack will generally get you past that pen threshold
    PS4 Yellow Scum Dominion
    1600+ vMA runs and counting
    Magicka Sorc - Flawless - 544k Score
    Stam Sorc - Flawless - 559k Score
    Stam DK - FLAWLESS 512k Score
    Stam NB - 492k Score - Work in progress
    Magicka Temp - 482k Score

The Ozmeric Dominion (Oceanic) Australian Based Guild

vMA "guru" - VHRC - vSO - vSOHM - vDSA - vAA - vMOL
    The Maelstrom BIBLE for beginners/Flawless Achieve Below
    https://www.twitch.tv/lukumms/v/111730700
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/181142505

You have vMA questions? Want a guide? Helping hand? PM me!

Returns after 6 months back to back flawless
    https://go.twitch.tv/videos/180384648