The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

The Steam Support Thread

Jemcrystal
Jemcrystal
✭✭✭✭✭
MAKING THIS THREAD GATHERING OF ANY IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING STEAM CLIENTS

since we steam users are not treated like esteemed customers like the xboners and playstaytionies by giving us OUR OWN THREAD on the main forums
Capture.png

How to discontinue an eso sub on Steam - cite. Go to Account Details and then Manage Subscriptions.

If your game does not run after installing Steam version - cite
DO NOT validate integrity. C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Zenimax Online - UNZIP OR UNRAR: setup.exe - CLICK ON (NAVIGATE TO): InstallerData> Disk1> InstData> - Resource1.zip> $IA_PROJECT_DIR$> src_path> Launcher - EXTRACT:"Bethesda.net_Launcher.exe" - PLACE IT IN: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Zenimax Online\Launcher - RUN: "Bethesda.net_Launcher.exe"

• gard
    gard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Running the game without logging in to steam:

If you have the steam version installed, you can run the non-steam launcher by navigating to your steam library folder (the location can vary, but I believe the default one is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps)

I have multiple disks in use as steam libraries, the one I store ESO in is Z:\SteamLibrary\steamapps.

(substitute the path to your library in place of Z:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\)
    Directly launch the launcher by running
    Z:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Zenimax Online\Launcher\Bethesda.net_Launcher.exe

Or directly launch the 64 bit client by running
    Z:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client\eso64.exe

Or the 32 bit client by running
    Z:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client\eso.exe

You do not need to use the launcher unless the client is out of date (it will warn you and exit if this is the case.)

My wife complains that I never listen to her. (Or something like that.)
    -- I'm a one man smurf zerg!

My ESO addons:
    Midnight - Find out when midnight is so that you can check for ww/vamp spawn.
    Goto - Adds a tab to the map pane allowing you to teleport to a friend, guildmate, or groupmate for free.
  • Kaymorolis
    Kaymorolis
    ✭✭✭
    gard wrote: »

Z:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Zenimax Online\Launcher\Bethesda.net_Launcher.exe

Z:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client\eso64.exe

Z:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Zenimax Online\The Elder Scrolls Online\game\client\eso.exe

You do not need to use the launcher unless the client is out of date (it will warn you and exit if this is the case.)
    @gard - I have tried this before, but since my account is linked to my Steam I get an error message. Something to the tune of "you need to launch Steam to play this".

Is there a way around that?

PC | NA
    CP: 240+
    Tai'Zar - 50 Bosmer Stamblade
    Annatar the Fair - 50 Altmer MagSorc
    Rules Through Fear - 50 Argonian Templar
  • Jemcrystal
    Jemcrystal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kaymorolis wrote: »

@gard - I have tried this before, but since my account is linked to my Steam I get an error message. Something to the tune of "you need to launch Steam to play this".

To my knowledge the Steam launcher must be used now. It was an update a few months back. Before that people could get away with launching with ESO game launcher but no more. I might be wrong because I have had no need to try it as I have the old version from before.

Why are you trying to get around the launcher people? What is the real issue?
  • gard
    gard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jemcrystal wrote: »

To my knowledge the Steam launcher must be used now. It was an update a few months back. Before that people could get away with launching with ESO game launcher but no more. I might be wrong because I have had no need to try it as I have the old version from before.

I launch the game every day by running the eso64.exe executable directly.
    On mondays, I launch the non-steam launcher so that my game can update on my work laptop.
    (I have a metered connection at home, so updates are expensive otherwise.)

I very rarely do it through steam. I don't know whether my account is linked or not though.

Steam got dossed a few months back and no one could log in though steam. It's good to know how to log in if steam is unavailable.

My ESO addons:
    Goto - Adds a tab to the map pane allowing you to teleport to a friend, guildmate, or groupmate for free.
  • Jemcrystal
    Jemcrystal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do not buy the pack with the Morrowind DLC and original game content IF YOU HAVE NEVER OWNED AND ACTIVATED AN ACCOUNT. You will not be able to play the original game until the release of Morrowind. cite This problem is on all platforms until notified otherwise.

You can use your Steam Wallet to purchase the Morrowind upgrade. citing myself as i did an experiment You can also use Paypal. Still unk if you can buy cash shop coin (crowns) with Steam Wallet but it appears that you can.

• Kaymorolis
    Kaymorolis
    ✭✭✭
    Jemcrystal wrote: »

I was simply trying to get around my laziness and impatience. My PC isn't the fastest machine around, so launching Steam, waiting for it it verify (and, OMG, update), then logging in and waiting for that screen to load is such a pain for me.

I just want to start my PC and dbl-click the game on my desktop. I'll fire up the launcher when the client tells me it needs to be updated.
    PC | NA
  • gard
    gard
    ✭✭✭✭✭

When do you get the error message? After you launch eso64.exe and put in your credentials?

Although I can log in to eso directly from steam, I don't recall ever linking my steam and eso account. Maybe that's the difference.

My ESO addons:
  • Kaymorolis
    Kaymorolis
    ✭✭✭

When do you get the error message? After you launch eso64.exe and put in your credentials?

Although I can log in to eso directly from steam, I don't recall ever linking my steam and eso account. Maybe that's the difference.

Yes, the error appears after I put in my credentials.
    PC | NA
  • gard
    gard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kind of makes me question the value of linking the steam and eso accounts. I'm glad I didn't do it.
    I wonder if there's a way to unlink accounts once you've linked them?

My ESO addons:
  • Jemcrystal
    Jemcrystal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A while back I went in search of a very simplistic question, "Can we use Steam Wallet to buy crowns?" God in heaven I have never been so insulted in my life trying to find an answer to something so simple. Everyone from Steam and here was all "TRY IT AND FIND OUT." Kinda defeats the purpose of asking, doesn't it?

NO ONE EVER ANSWERED MY QUESTION - CAUSE I'M A STEAM CLIENT

I do not have a problem with being linked to Steam. I have a problem with the lack of respect given to Steam users. We're treated like a ball on a ping-pong table. Zos saying, "Can't help it's a Steam matter." Steam saying, "Can't help it's a Zos matter." Xboners are not treated thus. Playstayioners get forum support. But if you use Steam you have to hunt down obscure links in far out of the way places. Like Zos is embarrassed of us. Or told to deal with support tickets which is chancy.

I do not know, Gard, if you can unlink a Steam account. It is an excellent question. I found this, another enjoy chasing your own tail like a dog type thread response -
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/304494/unlink-steam-account

I will give Zos this much credit though. They did list us in the drop down menu on the main site customer support. It's kinda a lame search you don't get to talk to anyone thing but I feel proud that STEAM is listed as a search option drop down menu. And you don't have to type in your birthday (gawd that annoys me) or log in to your account to use the search engine.

https://help.elderscrollsonline.com/app/answers/list/kw/unlink steam/Platform/6/sno/1/search/1/session/L3RpbWUvMTQ4OTc2MTg4My9zaWQvbFBVblRNZG4=

Edited by Jemcrystal on March 17, 2017 2:47PM
  • Jemcrystal
    Jemcrystal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LINKING STEAM VERSION AND NON STEAM VERSION OF TESO CANNOT BE DONE

cite

Notice that my citings are coming from all over the interwebs. That is because we don't have one spot where we Steam users of TESO can talk. We really need our own major thread here.

Edited by Jemcrystal on March 22, 2017 2:23PM