Maintenance for the week of March 18:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – March 18
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 19, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 1:00PM EDT (17:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)

Penetration vs weapon dmg ( pve and pvp )

Ihatenightblades
Ihatenightblades
✭✭✭✭✭
So im a little confused and would love if i can get some input :)

What is better for pve between the 2 ? Is a waste of a 5pc to have spriggan?

Right now i am a stam sorc with 5 tbs and 5 spriggan ( dw and bow )

As for pve would it be better to drop spriggan for something else?

My main question : does penetration have any effect in pve? And if so is it better then having more weapon damage?

Just wanna know whats better for pve and pvp

Thanks

• ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say Penetration is better. Higher Penetration means more of your Weapon Damage is getting through in each hit. However if you have low Penetration, then more of your high Weapon Damage is getting mitigated by their Resistances.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Ihatenightblades
    Ihatenightblades
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »
    I'd say Penetration is better. Higher Penetration means more of your Weapon Damage is getting through in each hit. However if you have low Penetration, then more of your high Weapon Damage is getting mitigated by their Resistances.

I see so its good to have balance between the two

• ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ArchMikem wrote: »

I see so its good to have balance between the two

That's basically what the Sharpened weapon trait is for. As well as putting Champion Points into Piercing and Spell Erosion under The Mage.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • MLRPZ
    MLRPZ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Penetration will mostly depend on your group.

Most of the bosses in trials have 18,2k resistances so :
    Boss 18,2k de résistance................................................................................18,200
    Ele Drain/taunt : 5280.......................................................................... -5280
    crusher enchant: 1622............................................................ -1622
    Alkosh: 3010................................................................................................... -3010
    Power of the Light : 1320.......................................................................... -1320
    both Sharp weapons: 5160: ................................................................................. .......... -5160

For a stam user and considering those Buffs/debuffs, the boss has 1808 armor left and spriggan is 4k physical pen (so it's a bit overkill), for a Magika DD, you have 4.8k more spell pen due to light armor passive so spinner is even more overkill

So basically, you have to think if your group can apply all of the above and if not consider what's best between Pene and WD
    AD // Marc the Epic Goat // Templar // AR50
    EP // The Goatfather // Templar // AR44
    AD // Unforgoatable // Sorc // AR33
    EP // You Goat Rekt // NB // AR28
    EP // Bill Goats // Swarden // AR28
    AD // Goat Ya // NB // AR24
    AD // Unforgoatten // StamDK // AR 21
    DC // Egoatcentric // Stamsorc // AR16

and many unused PVE chars

REMOVE FACTION LOCK

AoE Rats
    RIP Zerg Squad
    RIP Banana Squad Inc
    Not your typical goat

• sigsergv
    sigsergv
    ✭✭✭✭
    MLRPZ wrote: »
    So basically, you have to think if your group can apply all of the above and if not consider what's best between Pene and WD

This is the one of most informative comments I've read here!
  • Zvorgin
    Zvorgin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spriggan's 4000 penetration is a 6% damage boost assuming you aren't over penetrating. 4000 / 660 = 6.06% basically.

Max resist are 33,000 for players (50% mitigation cap * 660).

I'd say 6% on the 5 piece bonus is worth it.
  • Bobby_V_Rockit
    Bobby_V_Rockit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But what happens if more than one person applies the crusher enchantment to the enemy? Do they stack? I ask because it seems like a wasted enchantment and it seems that all DPS' are using it.

Would a group benefit more if only tanks ran crusher and dps ran something else?
  • SquareSausage
    SquareSausage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crusher won't stack, but it will 'probably' lead to more uptime if more than 1 person is running it.
    Breakfast King
    PS4 EU
  • Edziu
    Edziu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zvorgin wrote: »
    Spriggan's 4000 penetration is a 6% damage boost assuming you aren't over penetrating. 4000 / 660 = 6.06% basically.

Max resist are 33,000 for players (50% mitigation cap * 660).

I'd say 6% on the 5 piece bonus is worth it.

on pvp agains average player (heavy armor) it is worth, in pve in good group its dps loss and hundings rage will be much better than to much penetration
  • Stannum
    Stannum
    ✭✭✭✭
    MLRPZ wrote: »
    Penetration will mostly depend on your group.

Most of the bosses in trials have 18,2k resistances so :
    Boss 18,2k de résistance................................................................................18,200
    Ele Drain/taunt : 5280.......................................................................... -5280
    crusher enchant: 1622............................................................ -1622
    Alkosh: 3010................................................................................................... -3010
    Power of the Light : 1320.......................................................................... -1320
    both Sharp weapons: 5160: ................................................................................. .......... -5160
    NMG user in group -2580

• br0steen
    br0steen
    ✭✭✭✭
    PvP wise:
    Penetration doesn't do anything against shields.
    Penetration is the equalizer to heavy armor.
    Weapon damage affects shields more than heavy armor.
    Really you need a good balance between the two, I've found that stacking weapon/spell damage with your sets and getting your penetration from cp and sharpened weapons provides the most burst against anyone you run into.