Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

How playable is this game solo?

nicolasabqb14_ESO
nicolasabqb14_ESO
Soul Shriven
Is this game worth buying to play it alone? I'd be getting it on PC, and I don't have any friends with good PCs. Is it fun enough alone?
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very. I have a small good real life mates guild but do a ton of content solo. It's huge. Plus I've made friends in game I now play with (and that's not my thing really)
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • erliesc
    erliesc
    ✭✭✭
    There is plenty to do playing solo...plus you can create and play up to 8 different characters. The only time I interact with other players is when they try to pickup something before I do...or cooperative play in dungeons/caves. Plus I sell/buy thru guilds. I probably should interact more...but got off to a rocky start. Some players are crazy...some aren't...much like real life...wherever that is....
    I know nutting....
  • Remag_Div
    Remag_Div
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This game is super solo friendly.

Aside from SWTOR it's the most solo friendly MMO out there.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I came from Skyrim and Oblivion (single player Elder Scrolls games). What drew me to ESO was the massive scale and I considered that it was MP a drawback. After over 6 months of playing ESO exclusively and daily, I'm happy with it. I play on PC with no add ons.

In answer to your question, I do think it is SP friendly. There is tons to do and you can do 90% solo if you like. And you can totally and easily avoid PvP if you like.

Compared to Elder Scrolls SP games, here is what I like and dislike about ESO:

Like-
    Massive scale. Beautifully rendered. Nice combat system. Though you cannot mod it (beyond some of your interface stuff) the devs learned from previous Elder Scrolls games and already incorporated most features I want in a modded game. Magnificent job with making staves good/fun weapons to use. No tempermental mods/load order; if something goes wrong there is a whole team to fix it.

Dislike-
    Respawns happen fast (minutes) so if you try to sneakily creep through a dungeon, the baddies you killed a few minutes ago will respawn right on top of your head while you are reading a book or note that you find. Balance - becuase there are other players, the devs have to 'balance' the game (your fighting ability) so the playing field is level - I'm used to 'balancing' things myself via mods/difficulty slider/command console.
    Edited by AcadianPaladin on March 3, 2017 12:48AM
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As other say its very solo friendly, quests are also pretty good and you see more of tamreil than in Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim combined.
    And don't be alone all the time, after a week joint some friendly guilds. You can get lots of help and do group stuff so you see if you like it.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • nicolasabqb14_ESO
    nicolasabqb14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks guys! Appreciate all your responses! I went ahead and bought the Gold Edition! It's on a sweet sale at Amazon right now! $29.99! Looking forward to the dark brotherhood and thieves guild quests mostly! I can't wait for Morrowind either! ALWAYS was my favorite elder scrolls of all time hands down! Thanks again guys! :D
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm 98 percent solo, Craglorn is the only zone that gets a bit confused on this but with a few invisibility potions it's not to much of a problem
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started exactly where you are at. I still play mostly solo but I do have a few friends I have connected with.
  • greylox
    greylox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very, I'm mostly solo apart from pugs with the group finder. A lot of vet dungeons, all world bosses, all zone quests, craglorn can all be soloed.
    PC EU

House of the Black Lotus
    *{Smokes-in-the-Shade }* (Mag pet Sorc Argonian, prolific thief, willing participant of the dark arts, gardener of exotic...herbs)
    {Lugdum The Mechanist} (Hybrid Orc Templar, collector of ancient Ayleid smoking pipes)
    {Rantoul} (Dark Elf Magknight, likes an ale between boss fights, has been known to offer daedric princes out in a fist fight)
    {Red, The Wanderer} (Bosmer stam sorc and hunter extraordinaire)
    {Shoots-For-Stars} (Argonian Mag pet Sorc Ice mage Healer)
    *{Jinny the spark }* (Sassy Imperial Stamplar)
    {Crezzi the Drifter} (Magblade khajiit burglar, available for questionable operations)
    {Grif the Despised} (StamKnight Tank Nord, Eastmarch Master Drinker and spinner of tall yarns)
    {Geraldine Stone-Heart} (High Elf MagSorc Ice Tank, Mystic, practitioner of the ancient arts)
    *{Anawinn}* (Stam pet Ward Redguard, Mother to a bear and an unruly Hunger,Librarian, field medic and natures fist)

{*}Mains
    { CP 900+ }

Caretaker of Battle Island (Grand Topal), the holiday destination for the discerning warrior
    Residing in Stay-Moist Mansion-Shadowfen - The Smoking Den (as of 6th feb 2017)

• AKSb16_ESO2
    AKSb16_ESO2
    ✭✭✭
    greylox wrote: »
    Very, I'm mostly solo apart from pugs with the group finder. A lot of vet dungeons, all world bosses, all zone quests, craglorn can all be soloed.

... depending on your build.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As we've said, going solo is fine and the game supports that - you'll find it great fun.

That said, things do work a big differently due to being an MMO. I struggled a bit with my first character who basically was an attempt to recreate my (Oblivion & Skyrim) stealthy no-melee archer backed up by magic (bow/bow stamsorc). Over time, my character 'found' her niche as, oddly enough, a healer. So she is now a staff/staff magplar healer and loves it. Healers do fine solo but (duh) are more fun when there are others around to heal and support. Most of my play with others is ungrouped 'same way / same day' random encounters. When she's questing/exploring, if there are others around and she sees hit bars that aren't full, she tries to spread random acts of kindness. I guess my rambling point here is keep an open mind and don't be afraid to let your character evolve to find their ESO niche.
    Edited by AcadianPaladin on March 3, 2017 1:47PM
  • Deadfinger6
    Deadfinger6
    ✭✭✭
    It's basically great solo and has so many options to join guilds and get help on quests. It's probably the best balanced game I've seen in a long time
  • nicolasabqb14_ESO
    nicolasabqb14_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Thought I'd give you all an update. I got my copy in the mail today! Got the Gold Edition! THIS GAME IS SWEEEEEEEET! Thanks guys for answering me! Love the game!
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So glad you're enjoying it and thanks for the update! :)
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play 100% solo. There is a ton of content for solo players, with even more coming with the Morrowind expansion later this year. I haven't had any issues playing solo at all.
  • parkham
    parkham
    ✭✭✭
    Is this game worth buying to play it alone? I'd be getting it on PC, and I don't have any friends with good PCs. Is it fun enough alone?

That's what I like about this game - you can have fun solo or group. don't feel like talking to or interacting any given session? No problem, always something you can do solo.

PC-NA-EST

- All's Faire Guild
    - Divine Crusade Guild
    - Greybeards & Gals Guild
    - Dead Citizens Guild
  • italia366
    italia366
    parkham wrote: »

That's what I like about this game - you can have fun solo or group. don't feel like talking to or interacting any given session? No problem, always something you can do solo.

This

none of my IRL friends play eso so i play mostly alone with the exception of LFG dungeons, and from what ive noticed there is pletny of content for the solo player. im sure in time ill become more friendly with guildies and play with them from time to time, but as of now im enjoying toe solo content

If youre a solo only player though, dont worry, there is PLENTY to do