The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Levelling my Breton Sorceror Storm Caller

Coilspun
Coilspun
Hi all, I'm a returning player, who never passed the late 20's on my first go around in Tamriel, my love for TES is deep but I took a hiatus due to other commitments.

So, I'm nearly level 28 with my Breton Sorceror, I've opted to invest into Storm Caller heavily and am loving the amount of DoTs and DPS I can lay down.

What I'm curious of, is that I am progressing in the right direction with stats. I am rarely out of Magicka, being a light armoured Breton I regen so very quickly, I have magicka returns on my spammable Endless Fury (?) attack and consequently Pengadius has never quaffed a magicka potion in his short life.

I have 2:1 ratio on Magicka to Health, with 0 invested into Stamina - I don't often need it at the moment (that may change ofcourse) but wondered if I am overloading on Magicka (I do get a kicking)

Here's a few questions I'd love some answers to:
  • Am I too Magicka heavy given my armour type, race, and 2:1 Magicka/Health investment habit?
  • I have'nt equipped any Restoration staves ALL this time whilst levelling, so I've got no progression into the Restoration staff range, I know I need to do this RFN (is it recoverable?)
  • I don't level: Dark Magic, Daedric Summoning (the stuns/roots are nice, but I'd rather be ladling on the DPS, the pet is nice, but unused alot of the time) am I again, neglecting something I'll regret later? If it was an Atronach, I'd be all over it, like scales on an Argonian...
  • Is it worth running any of the group dungeons occasionally to grab some set pieces that will last 3/4 levels whilst I am questing and levelling etc? I ran splindleclutch at 22, and the gear is still better than anything I can craft (wearing the Prayer gear)

Thanks all, limit your responses to newb speak, as I don't have any experience beyond level 28, and so any dicussion on endgame gear will likely go in one ear, and out of the other.

Thanks!
Edited by Coilspun on March 6, 2017 11:13AM
  • Elwendryll
    Elwendryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my opinion, on a first/main character, you should level all the skills line. When I was a new player like you, I wasn't using storm call at all, i finally leveled up after level 50. It's smoothier to put at least one piece of each armor type and one skill of each class skills tree.

About sets, just deconstruct dropped stuff and rewards, learn your traits, and use crafted items all the way to 50, you should only start farming specific sets for cp 160, it's not this long to get there, you'll see.

you can reset your skill an stats points anytime for a correct amount of gold, so don't worry. And about stats points, don't put anything in stamina. You can use enchants to balance your stamina, but you should put mainly magicka and maybe a little bit of health in stats points.

I hope it helps.
    PC - EU - France - AD
    Main character: Qojikrin - Khajiit Sorcerer Tank/Stamina DD - since March 25, 2015.
    Guildmaster of Oriflamme: Focus on 4 player endgame content.
    Member of Brave Cat Trade, Panda Division and Toadhuggers.

All 4-man trifectas - TTT, IR, GH
    Options
  • Coilspun
    Coilspun
    Elwendryll wrote: »
    I hope it helps.

It has, thanks alot for your advice.

It's tricky to know if you are on the right track, but I guess that it's a fairly forgiving system, I think I'd forgotten that about ESO, distilled down, aslong as you pick the right class to play, everything else can be changed with alittle gold/effort.

I'm glad I've not borked dear old Pengadius by not investing into Dark Magic/Daedric Summoning.

I think I noticed it, as I don't race through the levelling process, so I'll run every delve/dungeon as I come across it, some are harder when you are light armour wearing and spell casting, some easier.

It's an interesting balance, I struggled against a few of the ultimate antagonists on quest-lines...
    Options
  • Elwendryll
    Elwendryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes. It's a game to slowly enjoy, you should take your time to make your character evolve and complete as much content as you can. There is a wide range of difficulty, so you'll always find incentives to improve.
    PC - EU - France - AD
    Main character: Qojikrin - Khajiit Sorcerer Tank/Stamina DD - since March 25, 2015.

Options
  • Coilspun
    Coilspun
    I love the lore of TES and ESO is such a great extension of the IP.

I loved Arena and Daggerfall, Morrowind and Redguard through to Oblivion and Skyrim, but the scale and depth of work put into ESO makes it a capstone of the IP, now that there are no limits it does leave one free to explore the rich world of Tamriel like never before, I love finding a new delve or POI, stumbling across a world boss, a giant lizard with 3,000,000 HPs... that's always fun.

So, yes, I am enjoying as you say, letting my character evolve. I'm in no rush and am always excited to see what is around the next turn in the road.
    Options
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    As a magsorc, you cannot have too much magicka. It affects the dmg of all your abilities (moreso class abilities) - and also your shield strength and also your pet damage (should you use them).

Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
    Options
  • Takes-No-Prisoner
    Takes-No-Prisoner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my opinion, on a first/main character, you should level all the skills line. When I was a new player like you, I wasn't using storm call at all, i finally leveled up after level 50. It's smoothier to put at least one piece of each armor type and one skill of each class skills tree.

^^^^^ This

To dove tail what Elwendryll said, typically what I do when I make a new toon is;

First 3 skill points into the first skill on the 3 class trees. Then slot additional skills for the skill line I want to focus on. This way I can level resto staff, even if I only have access to a 1handed sword.

I've never had any issue leveling my skill trees by keeping up that behavior. But like Elwendryll said, it's super important to get the class trees filled out first, then everything else can come second. This way you are not hampered by not having unlocked those passives. Cause Storm Calling's passives are freaking awesome.
    Options
  • Takes-No-Prisoner
    Takes-No-Prisoner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coilspun wrote: »
    I'm glad I've not borked dear old Pengadius by not investing into Dark Magic/Daedric Summoning.

I would highly recommend leveling those skill lines. Because you'll unlock additional optional skills to slot, and those 2 trees have items of worth to them;
    Dark Deal

Bargain with darkness to restore [x] Health and [y] Magicka, Has reduce cost, Costs Stamina to cast.

Dark Deal will pull stamina and give you health and magic back. This ability is very handy if you run out of magic.
    Haunting Curse
    Curse an enemy with a destruction rune, dealing [x] Magic Damage to the target and [y] Magic Damage to all other nearby enemies after 3.5 seconds.
    The curse will continue to haunt the enemy and explode a second time, dealing an additional [x] Magic Damage to the target and [y] Magic Damage to all other nearby enemies after 8.5 seconds.
    You can have only one Haunting Curse active at a time.
    The curse will continue to haunt the enemy and explode a second time
    Haunting Curse is also pretty awesome

Let's not forget the passives in those trees, like Power Stone, Unholy Magic, and Blood Magic
    Options
  • Coilspun
    Coilspun
    Cause Storm Calling's passives are freaking awesome.

Yes! I love the Storm Caller passives they synergise so well, often in games, you find one or two passives that are abit 'meh' or that you feel like skipping, but in SC, I find myself getting excited about investing in the next one.

I run with:

Endless Fury, Boundless Storm, Liquid Lightning, Elemental Blockade, Destructive Clench and Power Overload (Ultimate)

I have been considering removing Elemental Blockade for Surge (Power Surge when Morphed) any thoughts on that?

Edited by Coilspun on March 6, 2017 3:05PM
    Options
  • Coilspun
    Coilspun
    Let's not forget the passives in those trees, like Power Stone, Unholy Magic, and Blood Magic

Forgive the naivety, but are those passives only active when I have the skills from that line active on my bar? Or at all times.

Because I clearly need a Dark Magic, Daedric Summoning bar on the go as my second.
    Options
  • Takes-No-Prisoner
    Takes-No-Prisoner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep Elemental for PvE. It's a great tool for taking down mobs of enemies.

At Level 15, you can weapon swap, put Surge on the back bar. So that way you can;

Attack enemies

Weapon Swap

Buff up with Surge, Boundless, etc

Weapon Swap to primary attack weapon

Attack enemies

repeat rotation when buffs run out
    Options
  • Coilspun
    Coilspun
    I've definatly not got my head around this until now, thanks.

I don't know why it's taken me to have to come to the forums to ask these questions... it seems obvious to have a buff bar now!

Thanks so much! I assumed the buffs would cancel when the weapon was swapped, as my Daedra is unsummoned if I swap the bars after summoning.
    Edited by Coilspun on March 6, 2017 3:13PM
    Options
  • Elwendryll
    Elwendryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elemental blockade isn't the best AOE from this weapon skill line. In fact, it gets its full potential with end game gears, but can't compete with impulse at your level. Surge is a really strong heal, as soon as you have enough crit chance, and it provides major sorcery, so 20% more damages. In your case, i'd change without hesitation.

Oh, and don't forget, Daedric summoning ultimate is a Storm atronach, it might fit very well your playstyle.
    Edited by Elwendryll on March 6, 2017 3:16PM
    PC - EU - France - AD

Options
  • Coilspun
    Coilspun
    Elemental blockade isn't the best AOE from this weapon skill line. In fact, it gets its full potential with end game gears, but can't compete with impulse at your level. Surge is a really strong heal, as soon as you have enough crit chance, and it provides major sorcery, so 20% more damages. In your case, i'd change without hesitation.

Oh, and don't forget, Daedric summoning ultimate is a Storm atronach, it might fit very well your playstyle.

Thanks. Tell me more of this Storm Atronach... I've never used it as I love getting my sparkly mittens (as my daughter calls them...) and throwing bolts of lightning, or flaying groups with the AoE alternate.

I know the Atronach does'nt stomp about smashing and sparking the enemy, I understand it's more like a deployable, stationary pet. Would you say it can match Overload's DPS? (sometimes it's the only thing that gets me through a fight where the enemy has 130k+ health)
    Options
  • Takes-No-Prisoner
    Takes-No-Prisoner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've definatly not got my head around this until now, thanks.

I don't know why it's taken me to have to come to the forums to ask these questions... it seems obvious to have a buff bar now!

Thanks so much! I assumed the buffs would cancel when the weapon was swapped, as my Daedra is unsummoned if I swap the bars after summoning.

Nope. Those buffs have timers on them when they activate. On PC you can run addons to check / keep track of them.

The thing to take away from some of the passive buffs I mentioned from the Class skills is, they all work no matter what weapon you have equipped(unless the passive stats other wise). Most weapons have buffs that only work when you have that weapon equipped. But a passive buff like Power Stone is global. Which means, if you slot any ultimate, even ones that are not Sorcerers, their activation cost is reduced for you, by 15%.

If you look at Energized, it passively increases your Stock[lightning] damage. So if you equip a Lightning staff, that buff carries over. So if you put down Elemental Blockade, you get increase damage from Energized passive + Ancient Knowledge increases AoE damage by 8% for Lightning staff (if that passive is unlocked)
    Options
  • Coilspun
    Coilspun
    Aha!

That makes alot of sense, I think a skill point reset may be in order... I feel my DPS might be about to rocket up higher than it was.
    Options
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

To use pets, you need to have them slotted on both bars to avoid this. Pets are quite strong now - especially don't forget about their active ability that you can use by activating that skill while they are already summoned.
    Its definitely worth levelling the summoning line to get access to hardened ward - also look at the light armour skill for defence too.

Another thing worth knowing is that switching to overload actually gives you a third bar of skills that you can slot. (set them up while overload is currently active - then next time you activate overload, you'll notice your skill-bar changes)

*edit* Also if on PC, you can give limited commands to your pets.. basically.. 'attack' and 'stay'.. it isn't obvious but check your keybinds for the pet command key - hold it and left-click to make it attack your target , hold it and right click for it to be passive and follow you.
    Edited by Biro123 on March 6, 2017 3:46PM
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
    Options
  • Coilspun
    Coilspun
    Biro123 wrote: »
    Another thing worth knowing is that switching to overload actually gives you a third bar of skills that you can slot. (set them up while overload is currently active - then next time you activate overload, you'll notice your skill-bar changes)

I am literally about to explode with all of these great pieces of advice... I had'nt noticed the 3rd bar with Overload. Not forgetting I'm on XB1, which may be why I had'nt noticed...
    Options
  • Elwendryll
    Elwendryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks. Tell me more of this Storm Atronach...
    Well, as you said, it's stationary. It stuns the enemies when it lands, and then it deals damages, single target, and AOE for one of the morphs. As i'm a stamina sorcerer, I don't use it anymore, but I remember it was very efficient to turn fights back into a more comfortable situation. It stuns, can tank for you, and you benefit from all the related passives. I couldn't compare the damages with overload, as I didn't try it for a long time, and there had been several changes to it.

PC - EU - France - AD

Options
  • Coilspun
    Coilspun
    Thanks to everyone who replied on this thread, I've made some headway into the suggestions and followed the advice you all gave.

I've tried to embrace the two bar system, it's tricky to get used to but I'm getting there. And have seen improvements across the board with DPS thanks to Magelight, and Surge. I removed Wall of Elements, but am considering getting rid of my Clench CC spell, to add WoE back to my bar, my rotation feels alittle weaker without it, whilst Clench has an AoE element it does'nt replace the WoE DoT spot.

Again, my thanks to you all! Expect more questions when I hit 50...
    Edited by Coilspun on March 8, 2017 12:34PM
    Options