The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Stam DK or stam templar

klowdy1
klowdy1
✭✭✭✭✭
I am having a tough time choosing between the two. Both are very interesting to me, and have skills that seem fun, but I have not yet leveled either high enough to know how they will work at endgame. I have been DPS in all MMOs since the horrible time I had with other players on WoW, tanking and healing in BC. I like any weapon setup in this game as far as dw/bow/2h goes (I wouldn't imagine I would be using staves for stam builds). I do tend to favor DoT builds is many games, and both classes seem to have a few to choose from. I would like something with flexibility between ST and AoE damage.

I know people are going to say play what you like, but I like them both, and would prefer to focus on one to get to max level. I am mostly PvE, running solo around the world questing, but also doing 1-3 dungeons a day for the gear and extra experience. I haven't do enchanting any PvP yet, but I always give it a fair shot in all MMOs, but again, I am focused on PvE.

Any advice between class choice, and weapon setups would be very appreciated, as I am so torn between the two, I seem to be getting nowhere on either.
  • klowdy1
    klowdy1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, I don't mind SnB, but it just didn't seem like a PvE DPS weapon set, but correct me if I am wrong.
  • SimonSays89
    Hey,

If you going for more DoT, and that your play style, id go stam templar(Stampler). Templars have a tonne of survivability due to healing capabilities, and deal fire damage.
    The main reason i suggest Stampler for this, is because a lot of their skills are interchangeable stam/mag, whereas the majority of DK DoT skills are magic, and as a stam build, you may struggle resource wise.

However if you are willing to start a fresh, the Magika dk with inferno staff with either SnB or Resto staff is disgusting in PvE, and by far the best DoT in the game (imo), I helped my gf build a dark elf magDK and it just incinerates everything.
    Hope this helps!
    "May your sword be sharp, and your tongue sharper!"
  • Xerton
    Xerton
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey,

If you going for more DoT, and that your play style, id go stam templar(Stampler). Templars have a tonne of survivability due to healing capabilities, and deal fire damage.
    The main reason i suggest Stampler for this, is because a lot of their skills are interchangeable stam/mag, whereas the majority of DK DoT skills are magic, and as a stam build, you may struggle resource wise.

However if you are willing to start a fresh, the Magika dk with inferno staff with either SnB or Resto staff is disgusting in PvE, and by far the best DoT in the game (imo), I helped my gf build a dark elf magDK and it just incinerates everything.
    Hope this helps!

WTF? Are we playing the same game???

StamDK is superior to Stamplar in ANY situation. Let it be PvE or PvP!
    CP 810+
    PC - EU - DC

Officer of DRUCKWELLE (druckwelle-hq.de)
    Proud Member of Aquila Raiders - Raidgroup Hydra

~ Dro-m'Athra Destroyer ~
    ~ Flaweless Conqueror ~

vMoL HM (Nuke); vSO HM; vHRC HM; vAA HM; vDSA - cleared
    vMSA - cleared on all classes mag+stam
  • klowdy1
    klowdy1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, thank you. I'll go DK first then, it seems. I'll end up.leveling both, I'm just trying to.decide an order.

It isn't that it has to be a DoT class, I prefer melee to anything, I've never been much on casters, I just like the concept of the old WoW Deathknight. Would DW/2H work well, or are DKs pigeonholed into DW/Bow atm? That seems to be what I'm seeing the most with specs I find.
  • EldritchPenguin
    EldritchPenguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    klowdy1 wrote: »
    Okay, thank you. I'll go DK first then, it seems. I'll end up.leveling both, I'm just trying to.decide an order.

It isn't that it has to be a DoT class, I prefer melee to anything, I've never been much on casters, I just like the concept of the old WoW Deathknight. Would DW/2H work well, or are DKs pigeonholed into DW/Bow atm? That seems to be what I'm seeing the most with specs I find.
    For PvE DPS, everything runs DW/Bow. It's indisputably the strongest setup for PvE DPS.

Now for PvP, however, DW/2H is a fabulous setup. You have Rally and Reverse Slice on your back bar, and then you have a DW front bar for AoE and doom and stuff.
    Lilelle Adlis - Dark Elf Dragonknight

Vaynothah Sailenar - Dark Elf Templar

Sherivah Telvanni - Dark Elf Sorcerer

Nephiah Telvanni - Dark Elf Nightblade
  • klowdy1
    klowdy1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    klowdy1 wrote: »

For PvE DPS, everything runs DW/Bow. It's indisputably the strongest setup for PvE DPS.

Now for PvP, however, DW/2H is a fabulous setup. You have Rally and Reverse Slice on your back bar, and then you have a DW front bar for AoE and doom and stuff.

Awesome, thank you. I kind of had a feeling it was DW/bow for PvE, just wanted to make sure.
  • klowdy1
    klowdy1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Selfless bump. Anyone else care to weigh in on the matter. Always open to more opinions.
  • NoFlash
    NoFlash
    ✭✭✭
    I main a templar but if i could go back i'd choose stam dk just because of their battle roar passive. Easy way to sustain.

Templar is great especially with the homestead changes. Still a few minor tweaks and stamplar will be perfect in my eyes.

Overall, stam dk is more forgiving while stamplar requires a learning curve.

ORC or REDGUARD is a must for which ever one you decide to main.
    Edited by NoFlash on March 7, 2017 8:05AM
    Daggerfall Covenant

The Ninja Squirrels
  • klowdy1
    klowdy1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EvoAZN wrote: »
    I main a templar but if i could go back i'd choose stam dk just because of their battle roar passive. Easy way to sustain.

Templar is great especially with the homestead changes. Still a few minor tweaks and stamplar will be perfect in my eyes.

Overall, stam dk is more forgiving while stamplar requires a learning curve.

ORC or REDGUARD is a must for which ever one you decide to main.

I'm running redguard as a stam DK, but went with nord for my stamplar, one, because I wanted my viking, and two because I thought 2h would be better in PvE (first character).

Even with stamplar heals, I feel like my survivability is better on my DK, running the same gear/weapon setup. My biggest problem with stamplar is choosing between biting jabs spam, and rapid strikes (while leveling) spam. I usually go biting until 25% and start spamming rapid due the passive. DK SEEMS a bit easier with ability choice in combat.

Another thing I'm finding difficult is knowing if inshould be going back and forth on bow bar and we bar to keep up max DPS, keeping up all dots possible and filling with power abilities, or just sticking to one bar for aoe, and one for ST. I'm quick at learning, I just need a push in the right direction.
  • NinJake
    NinJake
    ✭✭
    Yes, try to swap between bars often to ensure as many DoTs are up to maximize your dps.
    Lunaethir - Dark Elf Dragonknight
    Lunithia - High Elf Templar
    Oden Ravenson - Nord Dragonknight
    Za' Rei - Khajiit Nightblade
    Vlanarus Curassius - Imperial Sorcerer
    Helventhia - Breton Templar (Current WIP)