Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

newer (returning) player curious about class/build's stam vs mag

sticx45_ESO
sticx45_ESO
✭✭✭
I came back to the game wanting to play some kind of a stamina build, but everything I've been reading says that stam builds can't compete with magicka builds when it comes to pvp & end game soloing? Is this really the gist of things, or am I misunderstanding things?

Was thinking about either a stamina based Sorc, DK, or NB... My understanding is that the stam NB is only good for initial burst, stam DK is just plain bad, and Stam sorc is decent, but not as good as a Mag one.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From a MagSorc perspective Stamina has been uber strong for a year, patch after patch getting stronger - in the last patch Stam was reeled back in a few % and the Forum has gone crazy, but they are still strong as...

Depending on your build, U13 could have nerfed ur Mag build - mine certainly was so its a hard question to answer without context - if ur happy to grind the current meta gear and use all those skills that are FOTM u may see a gain.

Just play what you want to play and how you want and enjoy it, ignoring Alarmists here..
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • shack80
    shack80
    ✭✭✭
    I came back to the game wanting to play some kind of a stamina build, but everything I've been reading says that stam builds can't compete with magicka builds when it comes to pvp & end game soloing? Is this really the gist of things, or am I misunderstanding things?

Was thinking about either a stamina based Sorc, DK, or NB... My understanding is that the stam NB is only good for initial burst, stam DK is just plain bad, and Stam sorc is decent, but not as good as a Mag one.

Well for vet trials mag sorc is preferred and for Maw it's almost a must have. I have both stamNB and magSorc. I enjoy playing with both, but I use stam char for collecting nodes and sorc for trials and maelstrom. for ME magsorc is easier to play, but I enjoy more playing with the fast, good burst damage NB.
  • sticx45_ESO
    sticx45_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Appreciate the responses
  • sticx45_ESO
    sticx45_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Was talking to a few people today, they said if you want to be able to solo vet content your only choice is a magicka build or stam sorc. They claimed that no other stamina builds could solo vet stuff, and like 75% of the video's out there are stam sorcs soloing the vet stuff.

I guess stam sorcs depend on crit surge, which is stupidly OP atm, and without it they wouldn't be able to do what they can, or it would be much harder.