Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Please help me *understand* armor and weapon rating.

Violynne
Violynne
✭✭✭✭✭
According to UESP, many factors determine this number. What I don't understand is the "how" part.

I know there are things in the game which can have higher ratings than what we can make. I just came across a green staff yesterday with a base on 1200, while my character with a Ruby Ash staff with Rosin only manages a "max" of 1092.

So how is this possible? This isn't even a Vet item. It's just something I found on a lion.

I tried researching this on my own, but videos and guides only talk about getting the "best". I'm not looking for the best. I just want to understand so as I craft my own stuff, I can learn to build what works best for my character's play style.

Oh, I should let you know my current character did not create the staff. This was done with an alt who has maxed out stats. I created the staff with her, and gave it to my current character. The damage output changed immediately (I expected this), but that's why I'd like to understand what elements changed the base.

My current character is a sorc, but I 50/50 the attributes to magicka/stamina, as I didn't want to play another pure sorc. I switch between DW and Lightning staff, depending on the situation and enemy I'm up against. I do know this has a major impact on damage output, but I feel I make up for it by using the right weapon on the right enemy. This isn't for end game play, just solo PvE stuff.

A link to actual information or few examples would be greatly appreciated, just so I can take it from there. I fully intend to learn as I go, but without the basics... I feel lost.
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is your lvl and lvls of items you compare? With introduction of One Tamriel we have to deal with gear scaling. And what does it mean? In general it means that the more lvls you get, the weaker you become because all stats of your gear goes down. The bigger diference between your lvl and your equipment, the lower stats this equiment gives you. If your toon have 15 lvl, 15lvl white staff will give you more dmg than gold 1lvl staff. The same goes with armor. In general you end up with the feeling of being weaker with each lvl you earn untill you reach cp 160.

Max armor is somewhere arround 33k (if attacker has no penetration so except of PvP all the time) it will reduce recieved dmg by 50% which is max reduction.

There is no cap with max weapon or spell dmg. If I am right something arround 1200 of your stamina or magica equals to 100 weapon or spell dmg.

Just to let you know. In current state of game hybrid builds that are using stamina and magica arent best choice as you loose a lot of dmg, its better to focus on one way and follow this path.
    Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mayrael wrote: »
    What is your lvl and lvls of items you compare? With introduction of One Tamriel we have to deal with gear scaling. And what does it mean? In general it means that the more lvls you get, the weaker you become because all stats of your gear goes down.
    Goes down? Hmm. This might be explaining a few things.
    Here's a bit of background:
    I had my CP160 character craft an Ancient Silk robe for my current character. Her stats affected the final armor rating. When I moved it to my current character, the armor rating dropped.

I expected this. What's shocking to me, though, is I'm now finding non Ancient Silk robes dropping with a higher armor rating than the one I'm wearing.

Could it be because I haven't unlocked CP160 for my current character the stats are affected? This is the type of thing I'd like to understand.

I'm sure there's some major math behind the scenes, but knowing how certain effects can alter the final number, and now my current level, would be helpful to know.
    Max armor is somewhere arround 33k (if attacker has no penetration so except of PvP all the time) it will reduce recieved dmg by 50% which is max reduction.
    I am no where near this, but I'm still learning traits so this is expected. :wink:
    There is no cap with max weapon or spell dmg. If I am right something arround 1200 of your stamina or magica equals to 100 weapon or spell dmg.

Just to let you know. In current state of game hybrid builds that are using stamina and magica arent best choice as you loose a lot of dmg, its better to focus on one way and follow this path.
    I played a NB and a Sorc and realized I didn't like either by themselves. I literally struggled playing the game as a NB in PvE as I could never seem to deal enough damage to 2+ enemies, and bosses tore me up. I know NB's have a tad more difficulty to deal with in health management, but this was supposed to be offset by the higher damage.

The sorc was literally too OP in PvE. The only time I died fighting an enemy was Molag Bal (and I could've won that fight if he didn't knock me into a rock and I couldn't move, but a loss is a loss).

This character I wanted to hybrid, just to see how I would fair. There are issues I'm dealing with, such as adjusting armor/perks, but I am absolutely loving this character. For really tough bosses, I can keep my distance. For easier bosses, I can get in and Tango.

Yes, my dmg is taking a severe beating, but I'm building the character such that if I need to go full sorc, it's as easy as paying the attribute fee and go 100% Magicka. This comes later though, when I'm ready for PvP. Right now, it's working well.

I'm still learning how to properly use the skills given to me. I think my biggest mistake with the NB was just not L2Ping correctly.

A mistake I intend to rectify. :smiley: