Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Some questions about staves and how they work.

Molydeus
Molydeus
✭✭✭✭✭
I have several questions regarding staves and how they work. If someone wouldn't mind answering a few I'd appreciate it:

1) How many additional enemies are hit by a lightning staff heavy attack?

2) How do damage enchants on a staff work? If I drop an Elemental Blockade with a staff that has the Shock enchant--does every tick of EB have a chance to add additional Shock damage or just the first cast? Does the additional damage get applied to all of them in the EB or just one random enemy?

3) Do staff enchants only work off Destruction Staff skills and attacks, or can they proc off of class skills like Liquid Lightning?

4) Does magicka increase my staff's attack damage?

5) Should you have a Weapon Damage enchant on your staff or an elemental damage enchant, like Shock? Or something else?

6) Last question. If I cast EB with a staff that has the Shock enchant and then switch bars to a staff that has the Weapon Damage enchant, which enchant will proc on Blockade's ticks?

That should be it, thank you to anyone who can provide a bit of insight.
  • Erasure
    Erasure
    ✭✭✭
    Molydeus wrote: »

Not sure if there's a cap, but it's everything within 6M, centered on the channeled target.
    2) How do damage enchants on a staff work? If I drop an Elemental Blockade with a staff that has the Shock enchant--does every tick of EB have a chance to add additional Shock damage or just the first cast? Does the additional damage get applied to all of them in the EB or just one random enemy?
    AoE abilities do not apply weapon enchants. Light and Heavy attacks apply the enchantment, direct-damage weapon skills apply it, and the first tick of single-target DoT weapon skills apply it. So, the enchantment would land on whichever enemy you light attacked before casting that Wall, assuming it was on cooldown.
    3) Do staff enchants only work off Destruction Staff skills and attacks, or can they proc off of class skills like Liquid Lightning?
    They require weapon abilities/weapon attacks. Correct DPS style is to light/medium weave before each instant ability, though, so it's a moot point. Your weaving should be keeping your enchants procced.
    Yes, but not nearly as much as Spell Damage would. Most abilities increase the same by 1 Damage or ~10.5 Stat. Light and Heavy attacks take 40 Stat to equal 1 Damage instead. Source.
    5) Should you have a Weapon Damage enchant on your staff or an elemental damage enchant, like Shock? Or something else?
    Weapon damage works pretty well for generic DPS increase, if that is your goal. Enchanting for elemental damage can be done to increase the uptime of the matching Status Effect, if you'd like that to happen.
    6) Last question. If I cast EB with a staff that has the Shock enchant and then switch bars to a staff that has the Weapon Damage enchant, which enchant will proc on Blockade's ticks?
    See answer 2.
    Edited by Erasure on February 27, 2017 11:20AM
  • Molydeus
    Molydeus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! This was exactly the kind of fleshed out information I was hoping to find. Very concise, thank you so much! :)
  • Berenhir
    Berenhir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Erasure wrote: »

Not sure if there's a cap, but it's everything within 6M, centered on the channeled target.
    AoE abilities do not apply weapon enchants. Light and Heavy attacks apply the enchantment, direct-damage weapon skills apply it, and the first tick of single-target DoT weapon skills apply it. So, the enchantment would land on whichever enemy you light attacked before casting that Wall, assuming it was on cooldown.
    They require weapon abilities/weapon attacks. Correct DPS style is to light/medium weave before each instant ability, though, so it's a moot point. Your weaving should be keeping your enchants procced.
    Yes, but not nearly as much as Spell Damage would. Most abilities increase the same by 1 Damage or ~10.5 Stat. Light and Heavy attacks take 40 Stat to equal 1 Damage instead. Source.
    Weapon damage works pretty well for generic DPS increase, if that is your goal. Enchanting for elemental damage can be done to increase the uptime of the matching Status Effect, if you'd like that to happen.
    See answer 2.

Didn't they change WoE to proc weapon enchants with homestead?
    PC EU - Ebonheart Pact - Gray Host - Death Recap -#zergfarming -
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Berenhir wrote: »

See answer 2.

Yep:

"Fixed an issue where some weapon abilities (Blade Cloak, Volley, and Wall of Elements) could not proc Weapon Enchantments."

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/318838/pc-mac-patch-notes-v2-7-5
  • Erasure
    Erasure
    ✭✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »
    Berenhir wrote: »

See answer 2.

Yep:

"Fixed an issue where some weapon abilities (Blade Cloak, Volley, and Wall of Elements) could not proc Weapon Enchantments."

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/318838/pc-mac-patch-notes-v2-7-5

Ah, thanks, I missed that bit :smile:
  • drummindrummer
    drummindrummer
    ✭✭✭
    So if blockade procs the enchant, which enemy takes the damage?
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

This is a very old post and with different patches things changed.

On live: Volley/Wall of Elements will proc weapon dmg enchantments on your main hand, it will update with the bar your on.

On pts: Volley/Wall of Elements will carry the enchantment it has attached to it no matter what bar you are on. Dmg done by the enchantment is increased by passives on the bar you have equipped at the time. Infused is the only factor that will carry itself with the enchantment.

The proc is random in an aoe situation, I'm not sure how it decided which target is hit, but using an infused back bar weapon will for sure be the best to slot to give that enchantment the 50% CD and 30% additional dmg. Meaning the enchantment will proc every 2 seconds instead of every 4 seconds.
    Edited by MashmalloMan on August 4, 2018 10:23PM
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • drummindrummer
    drummindrummer
    ✭✭✭

This is a very old post and with different patches things changed.

On live: Volley/Wall of Elements will proc weapon dmg enchantments on your main hand, it will update with the bar your on.

On pts: Volley/Wall of Elements will carry the enchantment it has attached to it no matter what bar you are on. Dmg done by the enchantment is increased by passives on the bar you have equipped at the time. Infused is the only factor that will carry itself with the enchantment.

The proc is random in an aoe situation, I'm not sure how it decided which target is hit, but using an infused back bar weapon will for sure be the best to slot to give that enchantment the 50% CD and 30% additional dmg. Meaning the enchantment will proc every 2 seconds instead of every 4 seconds.

sorry i totally missed your reply. i didnt realize this was an old thread lol.

but after posting this i did some testing and the damage enchant will actually proc on the closest enemy to you thats inside the aoe. it will remain on that enemy until it either dies or moves out of the aoe, it will then move to the next closest enemy to your character.

so basically, the reason i asked in the first place, is that it can in fact be controlled to hit the enemy you want (like bosses). just make sure that the boss is the closest enemy to you while casting the aoe each time