Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Basic Build Help

Lawsonham
Lawsonham
Soul Shriven
Hello everyone! I've just completed my first week of ESO. I'm in really good and helpful Guild but would like some expanded info about setting up my characters. I don't want to make a pest out of myself by peppering them with questions all the time. I formally played Warcraft for years so I get the basics. Eventually I would also like to add a Tank and Healer. Here is what I have so far:

Level 16 Breton NightBlade. He plays sort of like a Warcraft Rogue. It was recommended he wear mostly medium armor, stamina build, use duel wielding, add a bow at level 15. I have died a lot with him so far (someone gifted me a stack of 200 soul Gems). Also recommended was wear 1 piece of each armor type while leveling in the beginning. Correct info?

Level 8 Nord Templar. I like him a lot. Big hit and big self heal but slow wind up on some moves. One death so far (in the 2nd Harborage fighting a lil dinosaur thing). It was recommended he wear 5 medium armors and 2 heavy armors. Two-hand sword/axe, Stamina. I currently have no idea what his second weapon should be at Lvl 15. I was told he probably shouldn't be a tank because the resource management might get tricky for me.

Now what would you recommend for a Tank and a Healer? I would like one of them to be in the alliance I'm not already in.

Best Answers

• Remag_Div
    Remag_Div
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Templar is definitely the right choice if you want to play a healer in the future as they are the only class with a dedicated healing skill line. Technically you can play any race and do fine but the best races for that would either be Breton or High Elf.

Your guildmates are correct in wearing pieces of light, medium, and heavy armor while leveling so you can get them all to level 50 down the line.

http://deltiasgaming.com/ is a great site for builds.
    Answer ✓
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the game! I'll provide some brief tips based on your questions.

1. Race and class: the racial passives in ESO are generally aimed at encouraging each race toward specific builds. In other words, they favor stamina, magic or health. Your Breton has all magic passives...so most play bretons as magic builds. Can he make an okay stamblade? Sure. But he'll never be "best of the best" in super-hard end game content. That's just a note for you to think about. Your options if you like stamblade would be to a.) created a character of a race more suited to stamblade (khajiit, wood elf, redguard), b,) play your Breton stamblade and have fun not caring that he's a little harder, c.) play him as a stamblade, then respec to a magblade someday, which isn't very costly at all.

That said...I love stamblades. I loves them as first characters. They're challenging, so I think they help learn the game and it's mechanics better.

2. Nords make good stam tanks. For healer, you almost definitely want a magic Templar...in which case a magic race works well, Altmer, Breton, etc.

3. For now, focus less on build and more on learning the game and having fun. There's not many skill lines that are awful to level and need to be focused on immediately. And when you get to vet you get super-charged skill line leveling, so anything that lags catches up quickly. However, it is helpful to understand the basics on how your lines level because you do want them to work up as you play:

A. Class skill lines and abilities: these increase as you earn xp with that skill line or ability on your ACTIVE weapon bar. Example, you have killer's blade equipped (the first ability in nightblade's assassination line). You kill a wolf. Whether you used the ability or not, a little xp flows to both the ability and the assasination line. So, TIP: early on, ALWAYS have One ability from each of the three class skill lines equipped. You want these to level because the abilities and passives get more and more powerful.

B. Weapon skill lines and abilities: ditto to class abilities. If you put a dual wield skill on your bar and kill stuff or turn in quests, that ability and that line levels. TIP: you can still slot a weapon ability even when you aren't equipping that type of weapon. If my bow skill line is way behind, I can put a bow ability on my dual wield bar to catch up bow and that ability. The button is useless while set up this way, but this can help you level things.

C. Armor lines: just wear that type of armor. Many vet players wear a blend. The most common is for magic builds to wear 5 light and 2 heavy for the extra armor, or stam to wear 5 medium and 2 heavy. My characters don't always do this, but they level those two armor lines so they have the flexibility. The passives in the lines are quite powerful (and the super ones kick in at five pieces, so no one wears 4/3).

D. Fighters Guild: there are good skills in here, more geared toward stam toons. This levels by killing daedra and undead, and levels fastest by closing dolmens.

E. Mage guild: this levels by collecting the blue books you find lying around all over. Their called lore books, and a list of them is in your journal under lore books, shalidors insights. Each zone has a collection of ten books for that zone, then a few other randoms from collections that are spread in multiple zones. You get an increase to the skill line for finding any of these books, but a big boost for completing collections. There are two levels to concern yourself with. The mage guild storyline requires a mage guild level of six to complete. That's not too many books...you'll hit it just picking up any you see. For magic toons, meteor is a powerful and fun ultimate. It requires mage guild ten, which means pulling up online maps and really going after books. You don't need them all, but you need to complete something like 15 collections.

F. Crafting skills: deconstruct garbage you find for smith, cloth, wood and enchanting. Make junk items for alchemy and provisioning.

G. Thieves guild, dark brotherhood, undaunted: these are down the road. They level by completing story and daily repeatable quests for these factions. Undaunted doesn't open until you're in your 40's. Dark bro and thieves are great for nightblades, you can do them any time. But the passives in the lines stink...mostly I do them for the 7-8 skill points in each.

H. Legerdemain. This levels by doing thieving activities like picking pockets and fencing. I always want to level this to 16 to unlock all the reduce sneak cost passives...very helpful, especially for a nightblade. To grind this, spend one point to allow extra fence interactions. Find a route...I like the inn in Orsinium, which yields 150-175 stolen items per trip. Run it, sell and lander junk, in ten rounds you'll be legerdemain 16. A high level here also makes your container drops better quality.

4. Which weapons to use / abilities to level / passives to spend in: there are way enough skill points in this game to spend on anything useful for you, so never feel you need to horde points. If you get low, raid a zone for sky shards. One Tamriel means you have all 16 zones and their...um...90-something skill points available whenever you want them. Then there are 75-100 skill points from quests. And another 65 from leveling.

As a general rule, my characters spend on every passive in their class skill lines. They buy and level every ability they might ever want to use. They spend on every passive in all the relevant weapon lines - bow, dual, 2h and 1h for stam, destruction, restoration for magic. They spend on every passive in mage and fighters guild, and eventually undaunted. My toons are all also master crafters and spend 75-100 points in trade skills. So, like I said, enough skill points so you don't need to be stingy. It just matters how much you want to farm.

5. What to do now:

A. Just learn the game and its mechanics. TIP: turn on combat text, which displays damage numbers for incoming and outgoing damage/heals. This is the best way to start seeing how your attacks work, how effective they are, and how they can work together for stronger play.

B. Play, don't grind. The major faction quest lines are set up to teach you to be a better player by slowing introducing concepts. A lot of people playing right now jump in, go to a dungeon and run circles. Then they get to level 45 and spend a lot of time swearing and crying in these forums. That's because they get to level 45 and don't understand the power of major brutality / major sorcery, or how to buff themselves with it, or how armor works in this game, or how food works, etc.

C. Collect crap. Early on, it's hard to know what will be useful and what won't. Just collect stuff until you learn. This might mean making alt "mule characters" to hold stuff. If you don't want to do this, don't worry, nothing super rare comes along in this game one time, permanently screwing you if you toss it. But you might wander into a quest next month that asks for ten bananas...having them with a mule is convenient. And upgrade your bag/bank! In a recent ESO live they said 70%'of players never upgrade. Learn how this system works. It gets really, really expensive, but early bag upgrades with a pack merchant are dirt cheap.

D. Start researching traits on craft items. Only if you're going to be a crafter. If you like building your own armor and want the best stuff, it helps to be a master crafter. Finishing trait research takes over a year, so if you want to do it you should start playing with it and working through it.

E. Buy a mount. The cheapest mount costs $10k gold at a stable. Buy this as soon as you can, and then start spending the 250 gold per day to feed it. This increases its speed, stamina or your character bag space. Each have 60 slots, so it takes 180ish days to work up a mount to full. Any mount you buy works on any character on your account - you only have to buy it once. But you have to spend on its upgrades for each character. TIP: if you know you're going to want to try a new character someday soon, you might go ahead and roll them out and park them in your home city. Then feed their mount for a month or so before playing them seriously. Having the speed / stam / space when you're low level is really helpful.

Okay, that was a lot of tips. I took my friend to the doctor for a heart checkup, so I was bored in the waiting room, lol. If you every have questions, I'm happy to answer them. The best way for me to see a question is if you CC me in a forum post using @davey1107 in the post. That alerts me...feel,free to pepper me with questions, lol...I answer them duringmload screens while running daily character chores.

Answer ✓
  • Lawsonham
    Lawsonham
    Soul Shriven
    Thank you for the replies. It was just the kind of info I was looking for.

(I think I'm taking a liking to Templar's. I started a Nord 2 hander (stamina) and an Elf with staff (magicka). Having fun with them both).