Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Question on Recipes and Motifs

flguy147ub17_ESO
flguy147ub17_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
When you gather lets say purple provisioning recipes and purple pages of motifs, does that start to increase your chances of getting purple recipes and motifs? I am a returning player and for some reason i thought it use to be like that but i maybe wrong.
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think drops work in a variety of ways, so it's hard to provide exact numbers but this seems to be observational consensus (I think).

Recipes: my main source of purples come from daily writs, and this has been turned WAY up in homesteading. It's always seemed that a higher provision level increases odds of a purple drop. From containers, ZOS has said that higher legerdemain means better drops, so this would theoretically apply to purple recipes in containers like chests, wardrobes, urns, etc.

Motifs: for the most part, I think they keep players on an even playing field with motif RNGs. The exception might be motifs found in containers, where again ZOS has said some skills can increase quality of drops. There are others where I suspect RNG odds can be increased, such as Abahs Warch motif, which drops from Thieves Guild repeatable quests. It seems possible that higher Thieves Guild rank and/or legerdemain affects this, as my sneak khajiit gets them at a much higher rate than my non-sneak toons.

In general, knowing purple recipes and motifs does not give you a better chance of finding more. This misperception probably comes from the way that you get better stuff as you level higher, so it seems like it's coming from knowledge when it's not.

An exception is the recent homestead addition of mater crafting writs. Zos has confirmed that the odds of winning a master writ quest are affected by how much you know, including purple motifs for craft skills and purple recipes for provision. And trait research for everything.
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    davey1107 wrote: »
    I think drops work in a variety of ways, so it's hard to provide exact numbers but this seems to be observational consensus (I think).

Recipes: my main source of purples come from daily writs, and this has been turned WAY up in homesteading. It's always seemed that a higher provision level increases odds of a purple drop. From containers, ZOS has said that higher legerdemain means better drops, so this would theoretically apply to purple recipes in containers like chests, wardrobes, urns, etc.

Motifs: for the most part, I think they keep players on an even playing field with motif RNGs. The exception might be motifs found in containers, where again ZOS has said some skills can increase quality of drops. There are others where I suspect RNG odds can be increased, such as Abahs Warch motif, which drops from Thieves Guild repeatable quests. It seems possible that higher Thieves Guild rank and/or legerdemain affects this, as my sneak khajiit gets them at a much higher rate than my non-sneak toons.

In general, knowing purple recipes and motifs does not give you a better chance of finding more. This misperception probably comes from the way that you get better stuff as you level higher, so it seems like it's coming from knowledge when it's not.

An exception is the recent homestead addition of mater crafting writs. Zos has confirmed that the odds of winning a master writ quest are affected by how much you know, including purple motifs for craft skills and purple recipes for provision. And trait research for everything.

For the bold part: only full styles (14 pages -> achievement) raise the chance of getting a writ, a dev wrote. Also furnishing blueprints etc don't add to that. Can't find the link right now, but I will add it if I don't forget.
  • flguy147ub17_ESO
    flguy147ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok thanks for the info.