Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Do you quest by your own morals?

TrekFrost
TrekFrost
Overlooking the means, do you accept or reject quests based on anything?

Some chick just asked me to burn down some houses to find idiot who got lost. No! There's Daedra and invaders and rebels burning buildings, I'm not going to also.
So I abandoned the quest. (glad it's a quest though)

I've abandoned one other and not taken a handful beyond that.

You?
  • runagate
    runagate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You are really not going to like the quest where you pull someone's beating heart out of their chest - at their request.

Did you know there's people who've played this game without killing?

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Pacifist_Quests
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a game, none of this is real ...
    shades.gif
  • KochDerDamonen
    KochDerDamonen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    More or less on my main, and not at all on alts.
    If you quote someone, and intend for them to see what you have said, be sure to Mention them with @[insert name].
  • Gnovakane
    Gnovakane
    Soul Shriven
    This is an issue in ESO.
    It is pretty much impossible to play a "good" character since you miss so much of the game.
    Theft is one of the major sources of income when you start and there are two entire DLCs that would need to be avoided.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started my character out planning for her to be a good-girl hero, with no theft or murder. I had no intention of doing the dark brotherhood or thieves' guild questlines, originally.

Then I learned that it is SO HARD to make any money in the game before level 40-ish, so she became a thief.

Then I discovered that the DB quests give you two costumes (I LOVE the costumes!) and a couple of very cool passive skills, including a passive that reduces the aggro around you while you're mounted by 50%. That passive rocks. Seriously, it's awesome.

So now my "good-girl" is a thief and a murderer. *Sigh*

So no, she definitely does NOT reflect my real-world values. >:)
  • TrekFrost
    TrekFrost
    SirAndy wrote: »
    shades.gif

Thanks for clarifying! Wow, so insightful. No shoes Sherlock.

It's also fun to immerse yourself and or guide different characters different directions.

Maybe you play a fully evil character where you kill the Queen if you get a chance.

Do you just blindly take every quest you stumble upon?
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TrekFrost wrote: »
    It's also fun to immerse yourself and or guide different characters different directions.
    Maybe you play a fully evil character where you kill the Queen if you get a chance.
    Why do you care how i play this game?

Does it make you enjoy ESO less to know that i can differentiate between reality and a video game?
    confused24.gif
  • runagate
    runagate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    shades.gif

No shoes Sherlock.

Oh-Its-A-Deep-Burn-Funny-Meme-Picture.jpg

• Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have three characters.

My main quests mostly by my own morals although is a little more patriotic for the dominion than I am... (the queen though...)

My second is my "evil" character always choosing the hard/agressive/punshing choices (which isn't always bad, thanks to good writing)

My third is my Paladin (Tankplar) Lawful good goody two shoes... Always chooses the compationate option.
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I always click on the first answer.
  • Ankael07
    Ankael07
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    shades.gif

Threads like this arent complete without a reality knight to jump in.
    If you want me to reply to your comment type @Ankael07 in it.
  • alexkdd99
    alexkdd99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course I follow the same morals I have irl. I kill everyone I see and steal everything, only leaving a dead body in its underwear since they seem to be glued on.
  • andreasranasen
    andreasranasen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I actually do this as well. I almost hate the quests when you are asked to decide who's dying or who is going to end up in prison or be executed. I always feel really bad lol

There should be a GOOD / BAD bar that fills up after how you complete your quests. Kind of like Fable :p
    Edited by andreasranasen on February 24, 2017 5:37AM
    #VMATOKENSYSTEM #WEAPONDYE #TRAITCHANGE #CROWNCRATELOVER
    • Alliance/Platform: Aldemerii - PS4/NA - CP 800+
    • Mag Sorc: Arya Rosendahl - Altmer - Highelf
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is why I have two mains. One always picks the "obviously good" answer (even if it doesn't turn out well) and one always picks the "obviously bad/snide" answer just so I can see the alternate ending. It matches their character motivation too.

I was always a fan of "choose your own adventure" stories but I had to read them multiple times to know all the possible outcomes. Curiosity and all that.

It's why I enjoy video games, the storytelling.

Also I like to see how different the world is based on my choices (npcs that come back, zones that could end up in two different states)
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • SlayerTheDragon
    SlayerTheDragon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fact that this is even a topic is one of the reasons I love this game.

Some hard hitting quests.
    ¤═══¤ People don't like it when you talk to them with your weapon drawn ¤═══¤
  • Molydeus
    Molydeus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I partially quest by my own morals, and partially by my character's. For example my character despises high elves and kills them with glee, but he won't rob the house of a dead man. Irl I hate tall blonde people but I won't rob old ladies so it's kind of the same thing.
  • theher0not
    theher0not
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do quests somewhat based on my morals. But not always.

For example I am biased towards the Khajiit and I will do as much as I can to avoid harming any, I will only kill one if needed for a quest, achievment, dung/trial/boss or if I need to kill one to not die.

I also refuse to cause any harm to NPCs I consider "friends" and I will always try to help them.

But I will never abandon a quest for making me do stuff I don't want, unless it is a repeatable quest like the DB daily assasination quest (since those cases is on a loop and always come back I will consider not doing them when the quest I get goes against mine or my character's morals).

Though I might abandon and retake a quest if I choose the wrong option.
  • Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If "you" means whatever half-assed rp I'm doing on my main then yes, I let his morals guide the decisions.
  • Chirru
    Chirru
    ✭✭✭✭
    OP; you asking this question shows you still have a moral compass.
    Sadly enough many have lost their moral compass somewhere on the way.
    This includes the ones creating the quests (my opinion).
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild threw playing with morals out the window

Its a game so its ok, just dont let it carry over into real life

My characters are trying to collectively buy a house, so they are stealing Tamriel one item at a time to fund it.
    Edited by Katahdin on February 24, 2017 7:32AM
    Beta tester November 2013
  • Crowdosi
    Crowdosi
    ✭✭
    I do have morals with my main right now, though stealing is not above her. My crafter, however, will do just about anything to make a buck.
    Daggerfall Covenant, Guild: House of Twilight
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I tend to do quests the way I see fit. If there is no option to choose at all, I sometimes don't ever do these quests. For example, the quest in Cyrodiil where you help some idiot girl to poison local cook's goblin friend. There is no choice, and I didn't want to do what she wanted. **** her and her poisoning. Would rather murder her, imo.

In quests where you can choose, I tend to release/let live npcs. I don't provide any side with weapons of mass destruction. And I do send Valaste with Uncle Sheo, since I do believe she belongs there. Too bad I cant do the same for Shalidor, since he is obviously complete madman.
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play my character as a mercenary. I make the tough decisions and accept the consequences no matter what. My loyalty is only to myself. Not to a child-Queen, an old man who waged war against my people, or a drunk with a sister complex.

"If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No I quest by my neighbors morals . My morals wouldn't let me slap anyone in real life let alone blade of woe them . My neighbor looks scary , I think he would .
  • Everstorm
    Everstorm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Chirru wrote: »
    OP; you asking this question shows you still have a moral compass.
    Sadly enough many have lost their moral compass somewhere on the way.
    This includes the ones creating the quests (my opinion).

My main is a thieving, murdering psychopath. Completely opposite of me IRL. This is a roleplaying game, which by definition allows you to play a role other than yourself. The suggestion I may not have a moral compass is seriously out there.
  • Kram8ion
    Kram8ion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not moralwind :|
    ps4eu
    Kramm stam man kittyblade

• Annra
    Annra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Overlooking the means, do you accept or reject quests based on anything?

You?

Sure. As an example, I bought the Dark Brotherhood DLC but refuse to do the corresponding quest line.
    Edited by Annra on February 24, 2017 9:59AM
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    I started my character out planning for her to be a good-girl hero, with no theft or murder. I had no intention of doing the dark brotherhood or thieves' guild questlines, originally.

Then I learned that it is SO HARD to make any money in the game before level 40-ish, so she became a thief.

Then I discovered that the DB quests give you two costumes (I LOVE the costumes!) and a couple of very cool passive skills, including a passive that reduces the aggro around you while you're mounted by 50%. That passive rocks. Seriously, it's awesome.

So now my "good-girl" is a thief and a murderer. *Sigh*

So no, she definitely does NOT reflect my real-world values. >:)
    Don't mind stealing much in TES games, but don't like murdering innocents, has started but not finished the DB quests, will do and plan to make an gear set for sneaking, an issue in both is the bounty, here DB is both harder and the bounty is far higher.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think generally in TES and MMO games one has to play without any kind of moral system in order to actually complete all the content.

SWTOR had a much nicer system of so many quests having choices when taking the quest in order to help you choose a moral stance. ESO doesn't offer this and the only morally right choice sometimes is to ignore the quest, which doesn't let you get achievements (which unlock dyes and house).

So for me personally I just play a character which will do anything for anyone for self gain and imagine all the helping innocent quests which seem out of character I am demanding payment to get that gold/item at the end.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My characters each have their own morals which govern their actions.

I have one who is the latest iteration of the character I play in all TES games and one who is a variant on a character I play in most western RPGs. Both can be broadly described as "chaotic good" (especially the one from other games since she started off in DnD) - they always do what they think is right, but it's what they think, not what the law says or what anyone else thinks.

For example my TES character is a khajiit so she'll steal anything that takes her fancy, but not from the mages or fighters guilds because she's a member so that would just be wrong. Both will sometimes choose to kill someone at the end of a quest and sometimes choose to let them go, it depends on the situation. Sometimes I don't agree with their choice - looking at it from the outside, relaxing at home playing a game I can see that the sensible thing to do is forgive them or turn them over to the authorities but my character is more emotionally invested and 'in the moment' so she might react in anger and kill them.

Then there's my sorcerer who is a very stern, moralistic dunmer with a somewhat naive world view (he's about 170 years old and spent most of his life studying and researching magic so he can be a bit out of touch with the realities of the world, it came as a real shock to him that there were enough necromancers in the world for a cult) so he will always pick the "right" choice - follow the law, do the moral thing, even if it turns out badly. (Except he did once steal a furniture plan because it was one of my "must have" items so I decided to break immersion and take it.)

And at the other extreme I have a character (bosmer nightblade) who was created specifically to do things my other characters would not do. He's a member of the Dark Brotherhood and the Thieves Guild, he's going to be a vampire when I get around to it, he will kill anyone and anything either because he thinks it's necessary or because he happens to feel like it and he will pick the obviously 'evil' options in quests just to see what happens. (Like giving the Ayleid weapon of mass destruction to the Covenant at the end of the Betnikh story...even though he's a Pact character.)

He's a weird one for me, normally I really enjoy trying to get into my characters head and imagine what they're like as a person but I don't really want to do that with him. Sometimes it's fun to see what happens and sometimes I feel guilty, even over minor things. The other day I pickpocketed an NPC and then head them say "Oh no! I can't keep replacing that!" and I felt terrible.

(The one exception is that all my characters will loot the treasures chests dotted around the world. I tell myself it's ok since it's not classed as stealing and I just can't stand passing them up. You can't put a box in front of me, tell me there might be something exciting inside and expect me to leave it alone just because it's locked.)
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"