Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for "Homestead Guide: Master Writs"

ZOS_GinaBruno
ZOS_GinaBruno
Community Manager
This is the official discussion thread for the blog article Homestead Guide: Master Writs. Learn more about these exclusive contracts in our latest Homestead guide!
Gina Bruno
Senior Community Manager
Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
Staff Post
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    An interesting read, hopefully will help people who don't use 3rd party side for their information.

Nice to see you're thinking about expanding it in future as well.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • kyle.wilson
    kyle.wilson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We should be able to deposit writ vouchers into the bank. That way I'm not collecting vouchers on 2 separate characters.
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can Master Writ Vouchers themselves be traded/sold?

No. Writ Vouchers are personal, for you and you alone for only the character you completed to writ on to spend.

Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • GlassHalfFull
    GlassHalfFull
    ✭✭✭✭
    You could even get them on your alts and trade them back to your 'main crafter' if you have one, or host a festival with friends to trade Master Writs all day.

To me, a festival trading writs around all day sounds just like the Christmas Fruit Cake which is passed around and never used.
    Curiosity is the cure for boredom, there is no cure for curiosity.
  • Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    One thing I noticed was there was NO mention of Motif knowledge increasing your chances to get a MCW. The only thing mentioned in the blog article was research knowledge. Has the motifs been taken away from the chance formula?

And I agree, the writ vouchers should at least be bankable and can be moved to our own alts.
    Edited by Ashtaris on February 15, 2017 9:07PM
  • Grunim
    Grunim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MissBizz wrote: »
    Can Master Writ Vouchers themselves be traded/sold?

No. Writ Vouchers are personal, for you and you alone for only the character you completed to writ on to spend.

I agree that it should be revised to make this point much more clear than how it's worded in the article.

Understanding this nuance helped cement my decision to not do any master crafting writs.
    Am a whimsical Generation Jones gamer. Online RPGs hooked me since '94 and no sign of stopping soon...

• Durnik
    Durnik
    ✭✭✭
    You could even get them on your alts and trade them back to your 'main crafter' if you have one, or host a festival with friends to trade Master Writs all day.

To me, a festival trading writs around all day sounds just like the Christmas Fruit Cake which is passed around and never used.

You have never had fruitcake from Collin Street Bakery then!
  • GlassHalfFull
    GlassHalfFull
    ✭✭✭✭

You have never had fruitcake from Collin Street Bakery then!

No, I have not, I probably should have mentioned 'in-laws home made'. They always seem dense, hard and flourescent fruit looking to me.
    Curiosity is the cure for boredom, there is no cure for curiosity.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So unless there is a way to get more gold upgrade mats....you're housing and master writ ideas are very off putting to me as a crafter.
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Jim_Pipp
    Jim_Pipp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    New traits being added?!?
    #1 tip (Re)check your graphics settings periodically - especially resolution.
  • Thealteregoroman
    Thealteregoroman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jim_Pipp wrote: »

Yep.....pretty much confirmed.....
    ****Master Healer...****
  • bloodthirstyvampire
    bloodthirstyvampire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So unless there is a way to get more gold upgrade mats....you're housing and master writ ideas are very off putting to me as a crafter.

But a crafting station with every set in one place cmon thats good for crafting
    Self-proclaimed Vampire Lord, or in this case, Blood Sion. º,...,º
  • ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Community Manager
    Ashtaris wrote: »
    One thing I noticed was there was NO mention of Motif knowledge increasing your chances to get a MCW. The only thing mentioned in the blog article was research knowledge. Has the motifs been taken away from the chance formula?

We may go back and adjust the wording in the article if it's coming across that way. To clarify, Motif knowledge does matter for obtaining Master Crafting Writs.
    Jim_Pipp wrote: »

Someday maybe, but there are no new Traits planned for Morrowind.
    Jessica Folsom
    Lead Community Manager - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Twitch | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube | Support
    Staff Post
  • Finisherofwar
    Finisherofwar
    ✭✭
    The article alludes that the voucher merchants stock will increase with future updates but if survey reports were not updated to provide the new housing materials how can we trust that the master writs fate will be any different.
  • James-Wayne
    James-Wayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭

We may go back and adjust the wording in the article if it's coming across that way. To clarify, Motif knowledge does matter for obtaining Master Crafting Writs.

This is still false, I have all research on all crafting and all motifs including Crown ones and ive gotten 2 master writs (worth 6 each) since launch with doing all crafting dailies every day.

Is this working as intended?

PERTH, AUSTRALIA | PC | NA | @Aussie-Elders

TENTH ANNIVERSARY - Thanks for sticking with us for 10 years.
    James-Wayne you earned this badge 9:56AM on 4th of February 2024.
    529 people have also earned this badge.
  • LadyHermione
    LadyHermione
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the article but it did not really clarify what we already knew in general about the chances to get Master Writs.
    Is it blue, purple, and gold recipes that increases your chances or only purple and gold?
    Does each Chapter of a motif increase your chances or only when a Motif is completed?
    Does completing Achievements in general on the character increase your chances or only the crafting achievements?
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does each Chapter of a motif increase your chances or only when a Motif is completed?

This is what I'd like to know. I have three or four Motifs that are one page away from completion...
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • LtCrunch
    LtCrunch
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is still false, I have all research on all crafting and all motifs including Crown ones and ive gotten 2 master writs (worth 6 each) since launch with doing all crafting dailies every day.

I mean....that's kinda how RNG works, ya?

NerdSauce Gaming
    Laughs-At-Wounds - Sap tanking since 03/30/14
    ßrandalf - Light armor tanking since 03/03/15
    Brandalf Beer-Belly - Tanking drunk since 12/30/16

• ChandraNalaar
    ChandraNalaar
    ✭✭✭

This is what I'd like to know. I have three or four Motifs that are one page away from completion...

@ZOS_GinaBruno Can we get an answer on this ^^ and whether or not the master writ drops are working as intended? From what I have seen in the forums and experienced in game, the drops do not appear to be functioning properly but I'm not certain.
  • Slurg
    Slurg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Does that include the new motifs that were just introduced with this patch?
    Happy All the Holidays To You and Yours!
    Remembering better days of less RNG in all the things.
  • robeauch
    robeauch
    ✭✭✭
    It's definitely coming across that way. "Research" normally refers to trait knowledge, and the game has never previously referred to motif knowledge that way. A correction to the article would definitely clarify it for people who don't see this thread.
  • runagate
    runagate
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    robeauch wrote: »
    It's definitely coming across that way. "Research" normally refers to trait knowledge, and the game has never previously referred to motif knowledge that way. A correction to the article would definitely clarify it for people who don't see this thread.

There's a couple of other helpful clarifications that could be made.
    article wrote:
    How many can I do per day?

As many as you have the invitations for. There is no daily limit or cooldown on Master Writs.

Be that as it may you can only have one Master Writ quest for each crafting type in your quest journal at a given time (for absolutely no reason, since each is potentially a unique quest) which requires needlessly shuttling from the turn-in spot to crafting tables repeatedly. New players could easily overlook this mechanic.

That may be splitting hairs but one thing that I continually see people asking is what the purple envelopes the Mediator sells. Apparently they are RNG boxes for purple blueprints. Even googling around and looking in the patch notes I don't recall where I came across this information.
  • Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FYI, I'm doing all 6 writs (at max level) daily on four alts, for a total of 24 crafting writs a day (as time permits anyway). On average, I have been getting two Master Writs per day. Alchemy writs are the most common type for me so far, with zero Provisioning master writs as yet. Woodworking, Clothing and Blacksmithing master writs can scale up much higher in reward vouchers, if they require a nirnhoned trait, rare crafting style, or gold (legendary) item.

My rate of Master writs has increased slightly over time in the days since the new update came out. It appears that the crafting achievements for doing Master writs, learning designs/blueprints, and gathering the new mats for each crafting type all help towards eligibility for receiving a master writ. [Update: wrong, ZoS says the new crafting achievements are irrelevant. My improvement in results is probably just RNG.] That is, it is important for each crafting alt to ALSO do a lot of materials gathering, to buff their crafting achievements. (I had already completed all of the other crafting achievements on most of my alts prior to the new update coming out). Unfortunately, it sounds like we may be getting a bunch of new crafting achievements in future updates (when new styles and traits etc are introduced). This will mean a lower rate of Master Writ drops for a while after future DLCs, until we have a chance to complete those new achievements. [Update: wrong, ZoS says your rate of getting Master writs will not go down, but will go up as you learn any new motifs and traits]. Lots of Grinding ahead.

It is unclear to me whether or how much knowledge of Motifs helps to increase the rate of getting Master Writs, although it will definitely help in being able to complete them (for Wood/clothing/blacksmithing). My primary crafter, who knows many more style motifs than the others, has the lowest rate of getting Master writs. (I pass all the master writs obtained on other alts to complete on the main crafter). I do remember reading that DLC-related motifs will NOT count towards your chances of getting Master Writs; however, you may still get a master writ which requires a DLC motif to complete. [Update: wrong, ZoS says that all Purple and Gold motifs/recipes learned count, unless they are/were exclusive to the Crown Store.] If you don't have that motif, you are probably better off selling the master writ - they are very profitable at the moment.
    Edited by Pyr0xyrecuprotite on February 17, 2017 9:22PM
  • Sordidfairytale
    Sordidfairytale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brandalf wrote: »

I mean....that's kinda how RNG works, ya?

Sure,

However I have guildmates that are working on dozens of writs (mains and alts) since patch, that don't have everything maxed on their characters like I have. And don't have all the traits learned on their equipment, herbs, and runes. The people I hear complaining about the master writs seem to be the players that have

A. Mastered all traits/properties
    B. Mastered all motifs (or nearly all)
    C. Mastered multiple crafting skill lines.

I've been awarded a single writ since the patch myself, a 7 voucher enchantment writ. I'm 1/50th of the way to getting my own attunable crafting station. Next year I'll start on another!
    The Vegemite Knight

"if the skeleton kills you, your dps is too low." ~STEVIL

The Elder World of WarScrollCraft Online ~joaaocaampos
  • Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom thanks for the clarification. However, as others have mentioned, there is some concern that the Master Crafting writs are not working as intended. I too have all research and most motifs except the new ones and have received only one equipment writ on that crafter. It could be just really poor rng, but a check would be appreciated.
  • cynaes
    cynaes
    ✭✭✭
    I seem to be getting about 1 Master Writ per 2 days, while handing in 11 dailies. Not sure if this is good or bad luck from RNJesus, but I'm not complaining.

Something else I haven't seen answered in this new article: Do skill points play a role in determining your chance of getting a Master Writ? I'm not talking about the main passive to be able to do the Craglorn dailies, but about passives like Hirelings, Keen Eye or (e.g.) Resin Expertise? Do all of them count? Or do you only have to have the main passive without reducing your chances?
  • Chalinal
    Chalinal
    ✭✭✭
    I do not believe that the increased master writ chance is working as intended at all. Knowingly, I have horrible RNG, but I think my lack of master writs is beyond that.

I am a Master Crafter in every sense of the word. I have - on the same character - ALL professions maxxed out (level and tier), ALL traits learned, ALL style motifs (including the two crown store exclusive, excluding two of the four new motifs: Silken Ring and Mazzatun), ALL recipes for provisioning (except the new 100% ambrosia from writ vendor), ALL enchanting rune translations, and ALL alchemical material traits learned.

Since Homestead release, I have gotten TWO master writ invitations, one for 2 vouchers from enchanting, and one that was for 21 vouchers from woodworking. These are my results from doing all writ dailies every day on two characters- my main (master crafter), and my alt (max level and tier, few motifs/recipes, no traits).

On the other hand, I have a friend that is only 8 trait in clothing and woodworking and 6 trait in blacksmithing, no other professions, and he only has the basic class motifs plus three others learned. This friend has gotten master writ invitations every day - not only that, but they are for large amounts like 49, 82, 121, etc. + vouchers.

Based upon the claim of more profession knowledge/research should equal a higher chance of obtaining master writ invitations, I do not believe it is working as intended.
    • @Chalinal
    • PC - NA
    • Guildmaster of <Tamriel Emporium> crafting guild
    • J'Kharj - magicka Nightblade
    • Master Crafter in all professions with 9 traits and all styles
    • Furniture Crafting: Only missing a couple recipes
  • CREEP
    CREEP
    ✭✭
    Sadly since the introduction of this system there as been way too much information either purposefully withheld or deemed not worth mentioning. The questions that we have been asking on the forums since this system was announced and release on the PTS have been completely ignored and it is beyond frustrating.

Honesty if someone with next to no knowledge of rune translation is able to pull a master enchanting writ 3-4 times a week and someone with all runes translated and the achievements completed is getting the same or fewer, either your system isn't working as intended, or isn't weighing the "knowledge" significantly enough to effect the RNG system in a truly beneficial way. If there error is in the first, acknowledge it and fix it. If it is in the latter, you really need to beef up the chance of drops to be significant otherwise, what is the point in even doing crafting based achievements, especially on alternate characters?

As far as a way of increasing gold improvement material drop rates. There are only so many ways this could currently be implemented. 1) Raise RNG chance across the board on refining, harvesting enchanting nodes, and fish filleting. This is in my opinion the worst way to go about it economically. 2) Hirelings have an increased chance of sending them to you. While this would be nice it restricts provisioning slightly since they can't bring in prefect roe. 3) Upon completion of top-tier writs, guarantee one gold improvement material, minumum. This makes the most since as you need to do these anyways to get the master crafting writs that require those precious high valued items. Get rid of the RNG by rewarding at least one then RNG the additional, something like 10% for 2 and 5% for 3. Reward crafting for once, since currently most drop sets out preform crafted anyways!

Please @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom answer the questions that we have been asking since PTS:
    -Does each Chapter of a motif increase your chances or only when a Motif is completed?
    -How much knowledge of Motifs helps to increase the rate of getting Master Writs?
    -Does completing achievements in general on the character increase your chances or only the crafting achievements?
    -With the introduction of furnishing crafting schematics, does knowledge of these influence Master Writ chances as they are "craftable goods"?

I want to add that I was thrilled with the idea of a system like this being added... when I first heard about it. Like most though I feel like the execution as been less than what we have come to expect. I'm sure most of us would be happy just for the answering of the above listed questions. I do also hope that this system is continually worked on, improved, and updates throughout the life of this game as seemingly stated in the official announcement.
  • HansK
    HansK
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for this, it's helpful. One question though, you state:

" Can Master Writ Vouchers themselves be traded/sold?"

No. Writ Vouchers are personal, for you and you alone to spend.

To me that reads as account bound, not character bound as it seems to be now. Think Telvar Stones, you can bank them as currency.
  • bloodthirstyvampire
    bloodthirstyvampire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Id like a screenshot of Rolis hlaalus stock im on ps4 and cant find the info
    Self-proclaimed Vampire Lord, or in this case, Blood Sion. º,...,º