Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Are Hirelings worth it?

flguy147ub17_ESO
flguy147ub17_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
Hey i was wondering if Hirelings are worth it? Did they send gold mats or maybe any recipes that are great?
  • OrphanHelgen
    OrphanHelgen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you have skillpoints left and you are loyal player to the game, like logging in every day, its worth it yes. It doesn't look much when you take one hireling, but for me that have had hireling on 5 chars for 2 years, it adds up in the long run.
    PC, EU server, Ebonheart Pact

Finally a reason not to play League of Legends
  • Soella
    Soella
    ✭✭✭✭
    Golds very rare, recipes never.

Worth it only if you have dedicated crafters you login daily to do writs, and have free skill points on them. In most other cases you have better places for your skill points.
    Edited by Soella on February 14, 2017 5:18PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The keys to Hirelings are:

1. Have a lot of them (get your Alts to L12 in the Crafting skill to hire L2 Hirelings)
    2. Don't expect much from the Hirelings

If your goal is to get recipes, then do Provisioning Writs, as those are a great source of the rare recipes. Container farming is good, but the loot tables were diluted with Homestead Recipes. So finding provisioning is harder now, not that it was all that easy before Homestead to get recipes from containers.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• AzuraKin
    AzuraKin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey i was wondering if Hirelings are worth it? Did they send gold mats or maybe any recipes that are great?

worth it.
    v160 spellsword (nightblade)
    v160 restoration archmage (Templar)
    v160 battlemage (sorcerer)
    v160 restoration archmage (Templar)
    v160 warrior (DragonKnight)
    v160 assassin (nightblade)
    v160 swordsman (sorcerer)
    v160 spellsword (nightblade)
  • iamkeebler
    iamkeebler
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm a hoarder when it comes to crafting materials so I enjoy the hirelings just for the sake of more crap to hoard. They do hook you up with some crafting materials from time to time that are hard to locate in the wild. I personally say give it a shot and see if you like it. You can always respec later down the road if you end up hating them. But if you're a crafter, I say they are worth it.
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hirelings are totally worth it. And doing writs can make you 4k per toon. I Skip alchemy though on most toons.
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    At least once, you should read through the stories your hirelings send. Even temporarily, that is worth a skill point.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Ethasa
    Ethasa
    driosketch wrote: »
    At least once, you should read through the stories your hirelings send. Even temporarily, that is worth a skill point.

Seconding this.
    Actually fun stories add up in the long run too.
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Short term no, long term hell yes, that dribble of mats will fill up the proverbial bathtub supprisingly quickly
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you have extra skill points to spare, they are pure profit!

You won't be golding out a set of gear off of your hirelings in a week or two, but the small shipments do add up.
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • flguy147ub17_ESO
    flguy147ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok thanks guys.
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've always found them to be a waste of points. But I have almost every skill point available in the game (save for some pvp ranks) and still run out. Some people don't need them and the points are a surplus, in which case the extra materials could add up to be worth more than the freedom to play more than one build. But personally, I'd rather have the ability to do all of my various skill lines and armor buffs for each of my builds than an extra temper every couple of weeks. Still more lucrative than Keen Eye though - now that's a real waste of points.
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    If your goal is to get recipes, then do Provisioning Writs, as those are a great source of the rare recipes. Container farming is good, but the loot tables were diluted with Homestead Recipes. So finding provisioning is harder now, not that it was all that easy before Homestead to get recipes from containers.
    The problem I have with this advice is writs always require a recipe I haven't learned. Even as I peruse the chefs, none of them have the recipe, forcing me to abandon the writ and hope for a better one the next day (which often ends up being the same).

Worse, provisioning ingredients take a considerable amount of space. Trying to collect every possible ingredient for both food and drink is pretty much an end game to provisioning, not one that can be developed easily through leveling (curse you, seaweed!).

I've since abandoned all hope in writs. I'll get back to them, but long after I hit 50 and have substantially more bag space to work with (I only have 200 in bank, and currently 100 on my <50 character). This was only possible because of my other character investing tons of gold to get the bank to 200!

The design of this "skill" is both a curse and blessing. Not only is it usually the first skill I can quickly get to 50, but it takes a considerable amount of time using the few ingredients I have (new players note: stick to making food/drink close to your level - don't waste time with anything less than 10 of your current).

If the tables have been altered, I haven't noticed. If anything, I'd say they have improved. I currently have 9 blues and 2 purples simply by examining every container, table, chest, urn, and pockets of unsuspecting Tamriel residents. >:]

Not bad considering my 222 sorc only has 5 blues, 3 purples, and 2 golds.

Provisioning is a skill demanding patience, that's for sure. Thankfully, it was nothing like the old enchanting system. My goodness, was that ever a train wreck of leveling.

To throw out another piece of advice: save gold and buy recipes from chefs. Generally, though not always, these tend to be the writs posted. It's just too bad the RNG system likes to troll us from time-to-time. :(