Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

How to effectively level up Black Smithing?

Johnny_NO_skillz
Johnny_NO_skillz
✭✭✭
I'm really disappointed that Black Smithing can be power-leveled through the help of generous guildies (who will send your level 5 character, level 50 armor to decon), or people who trade hundreds of daggers using all the ore they've found.

Is there any other way than these sort of cheap options? People tell me to just decon all the heavy armor and weapons I get from quests and mobs, but it is not nearly enough to level me effectively.

And by effectively, I mean your Black Smithing level scaling with your character, I fear I might be a level 50 + character with my Black Smithing far behind?

I am level 33 as of right now, and a level 23 Black Smith.
Edited by Johnny_NO_skillz on April 23, 2014 5:34PM
  • doggie
    doggie
    ✭✭✭
    40 BS is the end, then you have all skills and can make highest VR gear. Just keep destroying your loot. Worst case scenario look for some cheap items to destroy on guild store, or farm some mobs that drop weapons/armor often.
  • Sorpaijen_ESO
    Sorpaijen_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't bother trying to keep your smithing skill numerically equal to your level... a level 1 blacksmith can make up to level 14 armor, after all. As for how to raise it, I use an alt ---- the alt makes as many daggers as I can with the ore I have, then my main crafter deconstructs it. Since I don't care about the alts skill, I don't bother to ~create~ any daggers with the main crafter --- the alt will get JUST enough crafting xp through creation to get JUST the bare skill points I need for her to be able to craft the higher-tier items as my main advances.
  • Johnny_NO_skillz
    Johnny_NO_skillz
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't bother trying to keep your smithing skill numerically equal to your level... a level 1 blacksmith can make up to level 14 armor, after all. As for how to raise it, I use an alt ---- the alt makes as many daggers as I can with the ore I have, then my main crafter deconstructs it. Since I don't care about the alts skill, I don't bother to ~create~ any daggers with the main crafter --- the alt will get JUST enough crafting xp through creation to get JUST the bare skill points I need for her to be able to craft the higher-tier items as my main advances.

But if my main's BS ability is 23, and my alt is 14 - do I gain any experience with decons from the alt?
  • Beryl
    Beryl
    ✭✭✭
    And by effectively, I mean your Black Smithing level scaling with your character, I fear I might be a level 50 + character with my Black Smithing far behind?

I am level 33 as of right now, and a level 23 Black Smith.

Level of Blacksmithing and Level of your character is not the same. At lvl 40 of Blacksmithing you can craft items for Veteran Rank 10 which is far above character level 50. I don't remember at what Blacksmithing level you can craft lvl50 items, I think it is about 28 and not higher.

I was just deconstructing cheaper loot items and selling to NPCs those which cost more. My ability to craft armour was always ahead of my character needs even though the actual number (crafting level) was below my character's level. I reached lvl40 in Blacksmithing (as well as Clothing and Woodworking) at Veteran rank 2 and stopped deconstructing items since there is no reason to do so.
  • wookiefriseur
    wookiefriseur
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have an arrangement with a friend: I send him tailoring and woodworking stuff, while he sends me armor and weapons for smithing (+plants and runes, but that's a different craft levelling). Works pretty well.

While we miss out on gold by not selling items to the trader, our crafting skills are always up to our levels.
  • huntgod_ESO
    huntgod_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am leveling mine to 50, because I am *** retentive. All in the mid 40's now, so will likely finish them in this week.

As to how to level it quickly, as has been pointed out, 40 is the highest you need, I believe you can craft 50 gear at 28-30, that is when tier 5 ore unlocks if you purchase it.
    --- HuntGod ---
    Officer of the Unrepentant
    www.unrepentantgaming.com
  • Johnny_NO_skillz
    Johnny_NO_skillz
    ✭✭✭
    Where do I get mats for exotic armors? O.o
  • cisadanepajsuxrwb17_ESO
    You know interestingly enough, just by deconstructing every loot drops, i manage to get my bs to mid 30s without actually putting any effort to construct and so on. It is actually higher than my clothing/woodworking which I actively level up and put points on. It seems the world drops lean a bit heavy on heavy armors?
  • Catches_the_Sun
    Catches_the_Sun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'll get much experience by destroying the loot you find. The best thing to do would be finding a woodworker & clothier that agrees to send you their smithy loot in exchange for the loot you find for them to deconstruct. Or talk to some guildmates that you'll be making gear for, and see if they'll send you their deconstruction items.
    Catches-the-Sun - Argonian Templar - Master Smith, Provisioner, Chemist & Tailor
    Valaren Arobone - Dunmer Flamewalker - Master Woodworker, Provisioner, Assassin
    Kazahad - Khajiiti Arcane Archer - Master Thief
    V'orkten - Redguard Swordmaster
    Finnvardr the Frenzied - Werewolf Berzerker
  • iitzTrizzy
    iitzTrizzy
    Soul Shriven
    I've gotten my BS to 32 by stealing and deconstructing items over and over again. I'm a level 17 Breton in the covenant. Daggerfall has a great route you can run to steal a bunch of swords and armor.
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To OP, being in guild, having alts, good stock etc. are not cheap options. They are essential part of being good crafter. Leveling the skill is very small part of the progression as a crafter.
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • solitaire45
    solitaire45
    Soul Shriven
    Steal all the items in the crafting area for deconstruction.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... as has been pointed out, 40 is the highest you need ...
    But you do unlock a dye color if you get it to 50. :)

• AoDD33pfri3d
    AoDD33pfri3d
    ✭✭✭
    I am leveling mine to 50, because I am *** retentive. All in the mid 40's now, so will likely finish them in this week.

As to how to level it quickly, as has been pointed out, 40 is the highest you need, I believe you can craft 50 gear at 28-30, that is when tier 5 ore unlocks if you purchase it.

Why lv vet 40 when vet 160 defense is higher and within a few months lv cap is going up.