Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

What do I do as a new player?

Zohat94
Zohat94
Soul Shriven
Hi! I'm new, and I probably shouldn't been posting this but i'm gonna do it anyway!

So I bought the Gold Edition and got a mount, some crowns, and some gold to start out. I rolled a templar since i've read that this is the best class for new players. Thing is I have no clue what to do in this game. Coming from WoW everything is pretty self exlpainatory when it comes to how to level and how to choose the best gear you have at the moment and so on... In this game I haven clue.

I crafted a destruction staff for my level (7) and a robe just to have some clothes on while running around just completing quest. I have yet to start on the main story quest, but anyway... So my question is what should I do? Should I do as many quests as possible? I obviously can't find a group for grinding spots yet, because I do pretty low damage and I have no understanding on how this works yet. Another question is gear for my level: should I craft everything I can to make me better (staff, light armor for Templar Magicka build) right now or should I just rely on quests?

If you've read all this, thank you and I hope to learn as much as possible :)

Best Answer

• Xerton
    Xerton
    ✭✭✭✭
    You should be perfectly fine just using what ever drops on your level.
    Once you get to let's say 35+ you can start looking for specific craft sets.
    Up till then just follow the main quest and all the side quests, enjoy the world of tamriel and try out as many skills your class offers as possible.
    At that point come back to the forum and ask for more help.
    Assuming you are playing a magicka based templar, your most important skill ist puncturing sweep, a morph of puncturing strikes found in the Aedric Spear skill tree.

Deals a ton of dmg and heals you at the same time.
    A templar literally needs no other skill while leveling
    CP 810+
    PC - EU - DC

Officer of DRUCKWELLE (druckwelle-hq.de)
    Proud Member of Aquila Raiders - Raidgroup Hydra

~ Dro-m'Athra Destroyer ~
    ~ Flaweless Conqueror ~

vMoL HM (Nuke); vSO HM; vHRC HM; vAA HM; vDSA - cleared
    vMSA - cleared on all classes mag+stam
    Answer ✓
  • Zohat94
    Zohat94
    Soul Shriven
    Thank you for your answer! That's really good to know! I just don't want to end up like I did in WoW when I first started out, I couldn't kill anything because I was still running with level 20 gear in level 50 :P But this is great information for me, thank you very much! Now I'm off to just exploring until I get to a more viable level :)
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First this is all my opinion as there is no correct way to play the game really.

Firstly I would say yes, just follow the games quests and explore the zones enjoying the feeling of a new game. You only get this experience once.

For builds there are the normal roles for an MMO healer/tank/DPS and any class can achieve these to some extent depending on gear/skills used.

Build wise you have three options for DPS.
    Magicka (focus on spell damage, magicka based skills and staves)
    Stamina (focus on weapon damage, stamina based skills and melee/bow)
    Hybrid (mix of both, not as good DPS but sometimes better for tanks)

There are a lot of player friendly guides out there from streamers and YouTubers which might help.

You can try looking up @MissBizz she has some great videos, her YouTube is here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrVBB-ecSJdwHGYH264c6mA

Hope this helps and I am sure other replies will come with more information (or posted while I was writing this)
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Zohat94
    Zohat94
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks for the answer! :) I've checked out some guides on youtube already just so I won't spend 50% of the time dying doing things I shouldn't, but most youtube guides I think are for more experiences players :)
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you're working with a magicka-based templar - great choice, as they are strong and forgiving. That's what I use.

Light armor, destr staff, add resto staff to back bar once you hit level 15.

Upgrade your gear based on what you find for now.

If you like riding mounts, try to get one fairly soon and begin 'training' it - once a day takes awhile so early start is nice.

If you have any interest in crafting, begin 'researching' traits soon - that takes a loonngg time so an early start helps.

Similarly, if you have any interest in the Mages Guild or any of their abilities, join as soon as you can. The way you advance in that guild is by finding lorebooks as you explore. You only start getting 'credit' for finding them once you join the guild. So another thing where it pays to start early.

Beyond that, explore, do quests and enjoy!
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On top of what everyone else said, I'm going to agree that there is no "right" way to play this game.

So take it slow. This game rewards you for exploring by giving you chests, skyshards, and even quests in out-of-the-way locations. It wants you to slow down and listen the the quest-givers.... some of the quests are real gems, so don't just flip through their dialogue. Take it slow. Savor it. 95% of the content in this game is soloable (exceptions: world bosses, public dungeons (until you're higher level anyway), and group dungeons), so you can really dive in and figure it out as you go.

And one other suggestion? Don't grind. No really.... your first fifty levels? Don't grind them. This game requires you to build up certain reflexes for combat (white lines = block; red lines = interrupt or dodge, etc.), and if you spend your time grinding wolves or zombies, you're not going to get into the boss fights where you pick those reflexes up. That's no way to learn how to play your character. There is more than enough EXP from quests alone to get you up to the CP160 gear cap and beyond.

But.... as has been said, this game can be played however you want to... so if you have fun grinding, go ahead and do that. If you have fun being a sneak-thief, do that. If you have fun getting rich playing the economy, join a good trade guild and do that. This game supports roleplayers, PvPers, market barons, expert dungeon runners, burglars and NPC serial killers, master crafters, PvE quest junkies, dolmen grinders, and hundreds of other playstyles (and with Homestead freshly released this week, I'm sure we'll see lots of serial decorators join that list ;) ).

The important thing is that you have fun, so explore and figure out what playstyle is right for you.
    Edited by BlackSparrow on February 10, 2017 2:28PM
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zohat94 wrote: »
    Thanks for the answer! :) I've checked out some guides on youtube already just so I won't spend 50% of the time dying doing things I shouldn't, but most youtube guides I think are for more experiences players :)

That is exactly why all of my guides are focused at early beginner's ;)
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • Rainteal
    Rainteal
    ✭✭✭
    Zohat94 wrote: »

It is also very important to check the dates on any guides you use. There are many outdated guides out there that could point you in VERY wrong directions based on changes that have been made to the game. I am meeting increasing numbers of new players recently that are talking to me about their character builds that they based on outdated information.

Check those dates, and make sure you are having fun!
  • docjoe
    docjoe
    I'm just getting started myself but just wanted to say thanks for pointing out @missbizz YouTube channel. Really great stuff for beginners!