Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Skill Progression One T

remlnx
remlnx
Soul Shriven
Hello, i need some info here, because i am really confused.

I'm a returning player, and i clearly remember when i played a bit few years ago, you needed to actually have slotted a skill line ability and actively use the ability to "level up" the skill line.

Now i've read few post on external sites where they tell with One Tamriel skill lines doesnt need you to have slotted/use any ability of that line to level up, because the skill line progress is based on the XP amount a player earn (aka, if im a sorc, and i dont have any dark magic ability slotted, dark magic progress anyway while i level up).

So question is: Do i need to have an ability slotted to level up his skill line or it level up on his own without the need to have it on my actionbar?

I can't find any official source confirming this.
Anyone can please tell me how it work now the skill progression?
Thanks in advance
  • Humble48
    Humble48
    ✭✭
    I'm pretty sure you must have the ability slotted in order to level it up. The same with armor in that you need to be at least wearing one piece of it to level that type. You don't just level up skills or weapons when they are not activated in some way.

I will state that if you want to easily level weaker skills, but don't actually want to use during normal fighting, then slot them in your secondary bar and when you go to turn in your quest, swap weapons and complete the quest. The reward XP seems to focus on the activated bar more when turning in a quest. I did this to level healing abilities while just doing regular quests in DPS mode.

Thanks.

• DHale
    DHale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You must gain Xp using the weapon on your active skill bar or having a skill on the bar. I can use a bow and duel wield as my weapons and place a two hander ability on my bars and level it. It is literally the same as it has always been.
    Sorcerna, proud beta sorc. RIP April 2014 to May 31 2016 DArk Brotherhood. Out of retirement for negates and encases. Sorcerna will be going back into retirement to be my main crafter Fall 2018. Because an 8 k shield is f ing useless. Died because of baddies on the forum. Too much qq too little pew pew. 16 AD 2 DC. 0 EP cause they bad, CP 2300 plus 18 level 50 toons. NA, PC, Grey Host#SORCLIVESMATTER actually they don’t or they wouldn’t keep getting nerfed constantly.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DHale wrote: »
    You must gain Xp using the weapon on your active skill bar or having a skill on the bar. I can use a bow and duel wield as my weapons and place a two hander ability on my bars and level it. It is literally the same as it has always been.
    Yes, you level skills on the bar even if not useable, this is nice for leveling up skills you use in groups or pvp while questing or grinding. You can even swap skills just before delivering quests.
    And it has been this way since the start.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.