Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Noob Question. What is the point of crafting

Cleglaw
Cleglaw
Soul Shriven
I have had the game for less than a week and don't have any character above level 8. Using blacksmithing I was able to craft some armor with a higher armor rating than anything I was wearing, but it got quickly replaced by some greens. I have seen comments on this forum that higher level stuff you find is better than crafted items. So what is the point of crafting? I would rather be out adventuring. But, maybe there is something important that I am missing.

I am guessing that enchanting is a way to improve the greens (armor and weapons), so I can see the value in that, but the stats on the greens improve every time I level up, so it seems counterproductive to enchant anything at lower levels.

As far as potions are concerned, I haven't needed one yet, though I assume that I might when the going gets tough.

I have read that crafting is a good source of gold, but can't I make just as much by selling the crafting materials I find?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

Best Answers

• Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crafting while levelling there isn't much point as you level so fast.

End game some of the sets can only be made by crafting, it's cheaper to upgrade with crafting skills, you get better rewards for refining materials with crafting skills.

Potions and food end game can have extra effects when crafted which you can't get from drops.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
    Answer ✓
  • Reefo
    Reefo
    ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
  • SGT_Wolfe101st
    SGT_Wolfe101st
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crafting is very important and with the newly released Homestead even more so. Crafting is a grind, start early and keep at it. Getting master crafter in all disciplines will take you a long time. I have been at it for a year and a half and I am currently researching my last round of traits for medium armor, blacksmithing, staffs, have master crafter in all disciplines. Potions and glyphs can be a great source of income and the ability to make your own food, potions, glyphs can save you thousands of gold. Research everything you get that isn't better in quality than what you are wearing, decon those you already know. 7-9 Trait crafted gear is BiS until you get the Raid/Arena drops, which can take for ever to grind. You wont necessarily need crafting as you level, you'll absolutely want crafting to be well on it's way once you hit 50 and then CP.
    PS4 -NA AD

Wood Elf - StamNB - DPS
    Nord - MagDK - Tank
    High Elf - MagSorc - DPS
    Dark Elf - Mag Warden- Healer
    Answer ✓
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cleglaw wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies.
    It seems like the thing to do is accumulate materials and not worry about crafting until I get to level 50 or so.

Start reading the discussion at Post 11 for the crafting, although there is good stuff in the whole thread

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/3781623

In short, you don't want to ignore crafting, but level it and research traits until your ready to invest skill points.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

Answer ✓
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Even if you don't craft your own armor, here's what you want a high level of crafting skills for at max level:
    1) Improvement of dropped sets.
    2) Refinement of raw materials.
    3) Consumables crafting + passives.
    4) Writs.
    5) Furniture crafting.

Alchemy and Provisioning can be easily trained at max level, so you can leave them for now. Enchanting is a grind and should be leveled as you play (decon all glyphs you find). Equipment crafting is your choice, but you should start researching traits right away because it takes over half a year to finish.
    Edited by Rosveen on February 9, 2017 4:22PM
    Answer ✓
  • Cleglaw
    Cleglaw
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks for your replies.
    It seems like the thing to do is accumulate materials and not worry about crafting until I get to level 50 or so.