Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Can Stolen Items be used as housing decorations?

Humble48
Humble48
✭✭
I'm not sure what the rules is on here. I stole and laundered a "signed contract" and a "portrait". The signed contract I could use as a decoration but I could not use the portrait. What's the rule here and how do I tell what can be used for housing and what cannot when I'm fencing/laundering items?

Thanks.
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not all stealable items are furnishings, but some furnishings can be stolen.

The key is in the upper left corner of the item description. A "Furnishing" can be used in the house once laundered, while a "Treasure" is just there to be stolen and fenced.

You can also keep an eye on the price tag. Treasures follow a pattern of selling for 40, 100, 250, or 1500 each. So far, all furnishings I've stolen have had a different price than that, and it's easy to spot if you sort your list by price when fencing, like I do.
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • Humble48
    Humble48
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the awesome reply. That's answers it perfectly!

• Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There seem to be very few stolen items which can act as furnishings.

Which is annoying because I've stolen loads of stuff I'd love to be able to put in my house (creepy monkey puppets, the various glass and clay statues, the legionnaire figure, I'd love a fishle just for the randomness of it) but I can't actually use any of them.

I'm really hoping that over time they will make it possible to add more of the stolen items to your house. I know it's a big job because many of these items don't have models, only inventory icons, but it would give us so many more options to personalise our houses.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was disappointed to learn the purple ones I was saving could not be used even if laundered .
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danikat wrote: »
    There seem to be very few stolen items which can act as furnishings.

Which is annoying because I've stolen loads of stuff I'd love to be able to put in my house (creepy monkey puppets, the various glass and clay statues, the legionnaire figure, I'd love a fishle just for the randomness of it) but I can't actually use any of them.

I'm really hoping that over time they will make it possible to add more of the stolen items to your house. I know it's a big job because many of these items don't have models, only inventory icons, but it would give us so many more options to personalise our houses.

Yeah, agreed. I know they probably wouldn't do it because of the work involved, but aaaargh, I want some of that interesting clutter. A metronome? A faded wanted poster? Good luck charms, cozies, hourglasses, dolls, and pipes? Any one of those could really add a personal touch to your home.

Ah well. It's a nice pipe dream, at least. :)
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • Humble48
    Humble48
    ✭✭
    Pocket Goblin.

Must be given a chance to sit on a table!
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Humble48 wrote: »
    Pocket Goblin.

Must be given a chance to sit on a table!

As long as there's no wine nearby.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    yes, I was also sad as I realized that most of the stolen items can not be added to the house, I have stolen many items that were very pretty.

• Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I just want to fill up my free apartment with Petrified Bull Charms. As a statement.
  • EleonoraCrendraven
    EleonoraCrendraven
    ✭✭✭
    Had a lot of stolen things in my inventory/bank. Now sold almost everything because I could not place it inside the house. Which is very sad. I was looking forward to decorate with all these little things. :(