Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Returning Player, Questions

GorillaGlue
I originally purchased this game in November 2013 and played my then-main to level 42.

Fast forward now 3.5 years later and I am trying to pick it back up again where I left off. I am decided to continue with my main.

Have a few questions.

1.) What do the different numbers and names on players mean? Obviously they have a name, but there are also other numbers and symbols (like "600" with a star or a square or some other random squiggly things.) And then there are also titles, like "Master Thief" etc. I am level 42 and I played the game for hundreds of hours at launch and did everything on every map (right now I am working through Reaper March, Aldmeri Dominion) and I don't seem to have any titles or numbers? Are these new?

2. ) I seem to be dying. A LOT. I'm having a hard time completing some quests, (particularly the Vision with Shazah and her sister, where there are two tougher NPCs with the little square next to nameplate, they kill me within seconds) I've looked over my gear and I don't see anything different except that all the stats seem hugely inflated from what I recall. I even purchased some new gear from a merchant just to test it out and it's made no difference. My build was/is a full Storm Mage with Mage Guild, Destruction Staff, and High Elf Racial lines all maxed or near max, and maybe a few other passives from Soul line. At launch I was able to easily knock down groups of enemies but now if even 3 normal con enemies attack me I die in a matter of seconds. Is there something I need to do in terms of gear? I've been using Capacitor and some other things to recharge my Health when I cast or use Heavy attacks but even still, I feel like I am pretty weak.

3.) Levels. I'm a little confused. I still have a level, and I still gain ability points when I level up, I assume. Will "low level" zones like Auridon or Grahtwood scale, now? And high level areas as well?

Thanks for answering.

Gorilla
  • Veraen
    Veraen
    ✭✭
    1.) What do the different numbers and names on players mean? Obviously they have a name, but there are also other numbers and symbols (like "600" with a star or a square or some other random squiggly things.) And then there are also titles, like "Master Thief" etc. I am level 42 and I played the game for hundreds of hours at launch and did everything on every map (right now I am working through Reaper March, Aldmeri Dominion) and I don't seem to have any titles or numbers? Are these new?
    The numbers are part of the Champion System and they are given once you reach level 50. The little symbols are Alliance War ranks, and the titles are just awarded with certain achievements. You can select your active title on your character screen.
    2. ) I seem to be dying. A LOT. I'm having a hard time completing some quests, (particularly the Vision with Shazah and her sister, where there are two tougher NPCs with the little square next to nameplate, they kill me within seconds) I've looked over my gear and I don't see anything different except that all the stats seem hugely inflated from what I recall. I even purchased some new gear from a merchant just to test it out and it's made no difference. My build was/is a full Storm Mage with Mage Guild, Destruction Staff, and High Elf Racial lines all maxed or near max, and maybe a few other passives from Soul line. At launch I was able to easily knock down groups of enemies but now if even 3 normal con enemies attack me I die in a matter of seconds. Is there something I need to do in terms of gear? I've been using Capacitor and some other things to recharge my Health when I cast or use Heavy attacks but even still, I feel like I am pretty weak.
    This is a difficult question to answer. You may need to group up with other players, or simply make sure your character is more well rounded. Some ideas include be sure you are eating good health food, wear heavy armor while solo questing even though it lowers your damage, use a restoration staff on your back bar to keep regeneration on yourself, master dodge roll and block tactics, use crowd control to incapacitate one target, and be sure you're taking full advantage by buffing yourself, debuffing the enemy, and using execute skills to finish off your foes.
    3.) Levels. I'm a little confused. I still have a level, and I still gain ability points when I level up, I assume. Will "low level" zones like Auridon or Grahtwood scale, now? And high level areas as well?
    They did this thing called "One Tamriel" a.k.a. 1T that equalized everything. There are no low and high level zones anymore. You do what you want when you want with whoever you want.

Let me know if you have any more questions. I'd be willing to help you out in the game if you're on Xbox One North America. My gamertag is "Veraen" if you do.
    Veræn → XB1/NA
  • GorillaGlue
    Thanks for the nice reply and explanations.

I'm on PC NA.

I'm going to dive back in and try out some of what you said, mixing it up a little. I've been using Light Armor since my build supports a lot of bonuses for that, but maybe I'll try some Heavy Armor for the tougher solo quests. I also didn't consider food, or a Restoration Staff, so I will try that out.

Gorilla
  • Sigtric
    Sigtric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Varaen did a good job of answering most of your points so I'll just add on the survivability portion

Much has changed combat wise since back then, and the 1 Tamriel scaling, while awesome for opening up the world to people, has a few pressure points that can make things painful for players when leveling up.

I don't see any reason to wear heavy armor, but instead keep your light armor. Get the Annulment skill from the Light Armor line and morph it to Harness Magicka. Stack this with the Hardened Ward (or one of its morphs) from your daedric summoning line. This is called shield stacking (can take it further with the ward from resto stick) and get bound armor skill.

Work casting your shield(s) into your rotation as you need them. Your best friends then will be aoe damage. Cast Wall of Elements on the ground (destro stick, elemental blockade or unstable), drop your liquid lightning, use lightning form and then focus on a single target while your AOEs tick away, refresh as needed.

For gear, get a set of crafted Julianos or Seducer's to help out.

Stormproof: Vibeke - 50 EP mDragonknight | Savi Dreloth - 50 EP Magsorc | Sadi Dreloth - 50 EP Magblade | Sigtric Stormaxe - 50 EP Stamsorc | Valora Dreloth - 50 EP Magplar | Sigtric the Unbearable 50 EP Stam Warden
    Scrub: Chews-on-Beavers - 50 EP DK Tank | Vera the Wild - 50 EP magicka Warden | Sigtric the Axe - 50 EP Dragonknight Crafter | Sigtric the Blade - 50 EP Lost Nightblade | Sigtric the Savage - 50 EP magicka Templar | Vibeka Shadowblade - 50 Ep Stealthy Ganky Nightblade |

Show Me Your Dunmer
    [/center]
  • GorillaGlue
    Thanks! I will try out that build.