Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

new player needs advice

xXD2GXxTwitchy
Hello thanks for reading this i recently started playing and i love eso and want to kno how to get strong and be successful in game.should i grind out my first lvl 50 or what should i do to be a strong eso player..i do not have any dlc and mainly do pve but want to start pvp soon so tips for both would be great and also how can i get good armor and wepons for my lvl.. (bow_medium armor)..also ideas for a good ranged dps build thank you
  • Curtdogg47
    Curtdogg47
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would recommend leveling your crafting skills. So keep every piece of armor and weapons you find. Research the traits for armor and weapons. Then deconstruct everything else. This takes time.

Alchemy and Provisioning can be leveled rather quickly but enchanting is a real ***. If you join a guild you can find someone to make glyphs for you to deconstruct. You get more xp for excrating runes from someone else's glyphs.

Look for skyshards in each zone. As you will need the skill points.

While leveling up I would suggest crafting your own gear. As you learn more traits you can craft better sets.

There is not much point in farming dropped sets, weapons until you reach the gear cap at CP160.

Also you don't need to craft new gear every level. Just keep old gear until you feel you are to weak.

Or find someone that will craft gear for you.

Also make sure you have at least one of each of your class skills on your bar so that these skill lines level up with you.

Read every book and check every book case. You will find more skill raises early on from books. Later they hardly come at all.

If you are only playing one toon, it doesn't hurt to level more skill lines up as you go. It gives you more variety down the road to play with.

Don't forget at level 15 you can use two attack bars this give opportunity to level more skills.

Wear at least one piece of light, heavy and medium armor. This way they all level Up.
    Edited by Curtdogg47 on February 2, 2017 1:46AM
  • Gordon906
    Gordon906
    ✭✭✭
    What race and class did you choose? They are important for builds
  • greylox
    greylox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crafting is one of the things I originally neglected thinking I just wanted to fight stuff....but it was a bad idea. You will save so much money and time it's unbelievable. Deconstruct everything you can and get those crafting trees up.

At cp 160 sets can be farmed but crafted sets are as good and most builds require a mix of the two, but the beauty is there's so much choice....unless you want meta.
    Edited by greylox on February 2, 2017 11:49PM
    PC EU

House of the Black Lotus
    *{Smokes-in-the-Shade }* (Mag pet Sorc Argonian, prolific thief, willing participant of the dark arts, gardener of exotic...herbs)
    {Lugdum The Mechanist} (Hybrid Orc Templar, collector of ancient Ayleid smoking pipes)
    {Rantoul} (Dark Elf Magknight, likes an ale between boss fights, has been known to offer daedric princes out in a fist fight)
    {Red, The Wanderer} (Bosmer stam sorc and hunter extraordinaire)
    {Shoots-For-Stars} (Argonian Mag pet Sorc Ice mage Healer)
    *{Jinny the spark }* (Sassy Imperial Stamplar)
    {Crezzi the Drifter} (Magblade khajiit burglar, available for questionable operations)
    {Grif the Despised} (StamKnight Tank Nord, Eastmarch Master Drinker and spinner of tall yarns)
    {Geraldine Stone-Heart} (High Elf MagSorc Ice Tank, Mystic, practitioner of the ancient arts)
    *{Anawinn}* (Stam pet Ward Redguard, Mother to a bear and an unruly Hunger,Librarian, field medic and natures fist)

{*}Mains
    { CP 900+ }

Caretaker of Battle Island (Grand Topal), the holiday destination for the discerning warrior
    Residing in Stay-Moist Mansion-Shadowfen - The Smoking Den (as of 6th feb 2017)

• BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My biggest piece of advice: don't grind... especially not your first 50. You don't learn the game that way.

Instead, just play the game. Do quests. Collect skyshards. Gather friends for group dungeons and public dungeons. Solo some bosses. Character build is important, but that counts for little if you don't know how to play it.

Best way to get "strong" is to put in the time and effort, so just play the game.
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @BlackSparrow gives about the best advice anyone can give to a newbie dreaming of future combat glories, lol. ESO is a complex game...there are dozens of systems in play. Lots of new players seem to be coming in wanting to grind to vet level in a few hours. Like sparrow says, this bypasses the learning curve that many of use spent months and months on.

Since you're pretty new, let me add some tips designed to help that learning curve along:

1. Always be learning. When you see a number or tool tip or game concept you don't understand, look it up. ESO Academy, Tamriel Foundry, these forums and a dozen other sites will explain it. At first this is simple stuff, like "why does this blue sword do less damage than this other green one?" Down the road, stuff like "my armor gives me major brutality. What happens if I cast an ability that also give me major brutality?" Being strong means understanding your character, their class, their abilities and their gear...and how they all work together.

2. Adjust the interface setting to turn on some stuff that helps you learn. Go to: Options...interface... My recommendations:

A. Ability bar, always show: makes your bar stay on at the bottom of the screen. Not imperative, but this can help.

B. Resource numbers, percent: little percentages show up in your resource bars. This can help you learn how much of a resource your abilities cost, and how fast they regenerate.

C. Ultimate number, on: shows total amount of ultimate collected as a small number in the ultimate icon. This can help you learn how to earn it, how much ultimate cost, etc.

D. Combat text, ON: very important for newbies. This shows numbers on outgoing and incoming damage. It will help you learn how hard your abilities hit, and how to hit harder. If you hate the numbers, at least use this occasionally for a learning session by testing your abilities out.

3. Focus on stuff you want to improve, but also what's fun. What I mean is that there's no order by which stuff must be done. Like sparrow says, just get out and play and have fun. But rather than try to learn everything at once, maybe focus on one thing at a time. For example, when I was a month into the game I wanted money and to level up my legerdemain. I set aside questing for awhile and would spend a couple of hours pickpocketing and fencing to learn that system. But I only did that because I liked it. If something is a boring chore, don't do it. But if it's interesting and helps you learn your character better, set aside some time to learn it.

4. Don't get to obsessed with grinding. Yes you should understand how skill lines level, including the crafting and guild lines. But the game is generally designed so that most of the skill lines will "follow" you to fifty. If you deconstruct all the junk swords you find, when you hit player level fifty your smithing will be leveled close to fifty. But if you're a level ten and decide you want to immediately grind smithing to fifty, it'll be a lot of tedious work. It's almost always easier to levelmyour character then work to catch underleveled skills lines up than to try to push skills way ahead of your player level.

Hopefully that helps. I'm happy to answer any specific questions...use @me in a post anytime to flag it for me. Welcome to the game!
  • xXD2GXxTwitchy
    Curtdogg47 wrote: »
    I would recommend leveling your crafting skills. So keep every piece of armor and weapons you find. Research the traits for armor and weapons. Then deconstruct everything else. This takes time.

Alchemy and Provisioning can be leveled rather quickly but enchanting is a real ***. If you join a guild you can find someone to make glyphs for you to deconstruct. You get more xp for excrating runes from someone else's glyphs.

Look for skyshards in each zone. As you will need the skill points.

While leveling up I would suggest crafting your own gear. As you learn more traits you can craft better sets.

There is not much point in farming dropped sets, weapons until you reach the gear cap at CP160.

Also you don't need to craft new gear every level. Just keep old gear until you feel you are to weak.

Or find someone that will craft gear for you.

Also make sure you have at least one of each of your class skills on your bar so that these skill lines level up with you.

Read every book and check every book case. You will find more skill raises early on from books. Later they hardly come at all.

If you are only playing one toon, it doesn't hurt to level more skill lines up as you go. It gives you more variety down the road to play with.

Don't forget at level 15 you can use two attack bars this give opportunity to level more skills.

Wear at least one piece of light, heavy and medium armor. This way they all level Up.

Thank you this is great info and i find it very helpful
  • xXD2GXxTwitchy
    Gordon906 wrote: »
    What race and class did you choose? They are important for builds
    I went with a woodelf nb magika..woodelf 4 my bow..nb 4 dps..with a hi beginning stamina of woodelf nb it kinda balance to focus magika so u keep both magika and stamina fairly the same lvl witch lets me run my magic 4 hi dps and have a backup stamina for the tight situation when i run out of magika towards the end of the battle XD