The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Graphics Glitch on Char Model on New Mac

Andratte
Andratte
✭✭
Hopefully someone can tell me if this is just my Mac, never had one before, Have the late 2015 AMD 390 8 gigs ram.

Renders the world fairly well but my character looks horrid. I cant think its normal but this is really the only game I have on it and was wondering if it was the computer or a setting etc. It happens on all graphic settings and screen sizes

• Thingme
    Thingme
    Soul Shriven
    I probably have the same issue. Here are two examples of likely the same glitch. What used to be a very pretty game no longer is.

(1) My characters look awful. The game is attempting to render graduated shadows on skin surfaces but ends up with two-tone light and dark areas and no in-between. Light falling on faces and other skin parts is supposed to have a graduated effect according to the contours of the skin it falls on. But no. Just a daub of a light shade and a daub of the dark with a sudden step change from one to the other. In brief, textures on player characters are being rendered very poorly

(2) Riding around in Cyrodiil at certain times, probably soon after sunrise and a little before sunset I see a dreadful pixel effect. In the middle distance where there are undulating rises and falls in the land, each ridge line is topped by a bright sparkling line of agitated pixels and it's extremely disconcerting when I am supposed to be watching for the enemy and shouldn't be distracted by these bright twinkling lines.

I've done some research and some experiments. I have two fully optioned 5k Retina iMacs. One is the late 2014 model and the new one purchased last week is the late 2015 model. Both are loaded with the newest version of the El Capitan OS v10.11.4 and both have run ESO. Two Macs with the same corrupted graphics. This defect was not present when the older iMac was using the earlier version 10.10.x of the OS.

I've concluded that ESO currently isn't compatible with the changes brought in El Capitan. ESO needs to be patched for this ugly glitch. I suspect every Mac upgraded to El Capitan will suffer these effects, or at least those with AMD Radeon GPUs.

Thank you. Love this game. Guys, I hope it can be remedied soon.
  • Asharin
    Asharin
    ✭✭
    Thingme wrote: »

I've concluded that ESO currently isn't compatible with the changes brought in El Capitan. ESO needs to be patched for this ugly glitch. I suspect every Mac upgraded to El Capitan will suffer these effects, or at least those with AMD Radeon GPUs.

Can confirm it's not affecting my iMac, which is a late 2013 with Nvidia GT750m graphics, so it is likely only affecting Radeon GPUs
  • Delpi
    Delpi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the same issue as yours, but only with my mounts. My mac it's a macbook pro late 2012 and it has a NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

And yes... I'm using "El capitan OS X" too
    "I used to be an adventurer like you. Then I took an arrow in the knee..."
  • Xoelarasizerer
    Xoelarasizerer
    ✭✭✭
    (sorry in advance if this counts as necroing this post, I didn't wanna start a new discussion for this specific issue I've only seen brought up here :/ )

So I've been having the same issue with lighting textures. Specifically, human/elf races face's and visible skin's shading and lighting being all messed up based on where they are facing (example attached.) This only appears to happen whilst in game, though. On the character select screen this problem isn't present.

I've tried changing my video settings from maxed out to all lowest (also tried disabling add-ons in case that was causing it) but nothings worked.

My Mac is a Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015 with AMD Radeon R9 M380 2048 MB on OS X El Capitan 10.11.6, which I got new back in April that, at the time, was shipped with 10.11.4 and this issue has been present immediately ever-since I installed and started playing ESO on it.

The only idea I have about this is that it's possibly something to do with Radeon GPUs as Asharin thought. Is there any possible or foreseeable solution/fix to this? (besides me getting a new machine/GPU, which is silly since the rest of the game has no issues whatsoever and runs fine on my half year old machine) or will I just have to deal with it as I have been?

Edited by Xoelarasizerer on November 23, 2016 11:49PM
  • Yargu
    Yargu
    ✭✭✭
    I thought I was the only one having this problem. Hopefully we can find a solution to this.