Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Finding crafting mats at too high a level for my writs: Beech vs Maple

bobdrad
bobdrad
✭✭
At my Character Level, all the wood mats and equipment I am finding is now Beech, even in beginner lands like Auridon.

But the Woodworking Writs I get tell me to produce Maple items, because my Woodworking skill is so low (this seems like a design flaw, no?).

What are my options? Do I have to beg from others, or pay exorbitant prices to Guild Merchants ($2200 for a few maple boards, REALLY?!?).

It's too bad the Writs don't request a minimum mat type, rather than a specific one. After all, if somebody wanted a Maple Bow, wouldn't they be even happier with a Beech one?
Edited by bobdrad on February 3, 2017 8:46PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nodes drop mats at a 50/50 mix of your character level or material level. So, you will find Maple, just keep looking. I find plenty of Maple on my end game characters that have no points invested the Material Passives.

Also, Auridon is about the worst place to look for Mats. Grahtwood is not much better. Try Alikir Desert, Glenumbra, Bangkori, Reapers March, heck just about any place but Auridon.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Kazya
    Kazya
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure which faction you are on, but I find a fair bit of maple (with my non crafter character) in Stros m'Kai and on Bleakrock isle. So if you can get there it might be worth to check the places out atleast :)
    Edited by Kazya on February 3, 2017 9:22PM
    Mother Earth and Father Night gives me comfort, protection and shelter every step I take.
    Brother Sun gives me the warmth I need, while Sister Moon lit my path so I don't get lost.
    Auntie Life follows me on my journey until Uncle Death sing me the last lullaby.
    /C.O 20121122
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You should be getting about a 50/50 split between Maple and whatever your character level is at. Regardless of where I am, my CP561 characters at level 1 in crafting get either ruby ash or maple, iron ore or rubedite, jute or ancestor silk.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Also after you do get a little maple - the shipment box that comes from doing maple writs that dont drop surveys will always be maple. thats 25 pc which is almost what a writ uses - short by about 5 most days.
    Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• Jadednatas
    Jadednatas
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe i am alone here but the easiest answer would be to just keep questin an deconstruct your stuff til woodwork is high enough to take another skill point an change the writ.. eventually the low mat issue goes away, i do max writs on 8 guys each day so it leaves me with 8 sets of 25 random low mats each day.. that i can sell to people desperately searching... so my advice in a nutshell is keep grinding, if ya have a higher level character play on that a few hours an then deconstruct on your lower guy, craft levels fast in my opinion