Maintenance for the week of March 18:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – March 18
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 19, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 1:00PM EDT (17:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)

Stamina Dragonknight 1H&S DPS?

ArchMikem
ArchMikem
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
So, Khajiit Stamina Dragonknight Sword & Shield DPS. Is it viable as a decent PvE Build? And if so, how do I do the do?

How I have the character currently;

5pc Hundings - Medium
3pc Agility
2pc Alessia's Bulwark - Sword & Shield
2pc Tremorscale

Mundus - Warrior
(This is so I can have my weapon damage above 2,000 unbuffed,
but I'm debating on changing to the Thief since the character is a Khajiit,
could probably get Crit Chance up to 55% - 60% maybe.)

Sword & Shield both Bars.
(I'm wondering if I should have my back Bar be 2Handed so I can make use of it's buffs like Rally, though Igneous and Vigor would do the same thing.)

I'm not fully committed to making a full Tank, but I want to make more use out of my Dragonknight. Out of the four classes DKs have been the hardest for me to get used to it's playstyle. I just can't seem to find that happy place. I've decided though since the character is a Khajiit I'm going to make full use of it's Racial Passives and go Stamina, but like I said, no Tanking, but at the same time I want to do some kind of playstyle with the Sword and Shield. Which leaves me to trying to find some kind of semi Tank/DPS hybrid. Any suggestions on how to maximize this Build's ability?
CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Viable to solo stuff and run casual dungeons? Sure, darn near anything is viable. Will you be competive by any definitoin of the word? Absolutely not. You will also probably get kicked out of a lot of group finders if you queue as a DPS with a sword and board. Not judging, just stating what will happen. By all means give it a go and post your results for science. Haha

You could absolutely design a stam DK tank the puts out decent DPS, but in group stuff, you would be expected to hold aggro and fill the tank role first.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on January 31, 2017 5:48AM
  • Jciampi
    Jciampi
    ✭✭✭
    Also please bear in mind the main and cheapest cost move in one hand one shield is ransack/provoke. If you run as a DPS and use that attack and the real tank does too it causes chaos. They made it in one of the more recent updates that if multiple people provoke a boss its all bets off. Boss will attack who they want for a minute, whether it's tank, healer, or DPS. They don't want it so i can provoke boss and run him to one end of the room. Then you provoke him and run him back across the room in an endless cycle so no one gets hurt, just back and forth.

I play a lot of parties where guys dont get that and they provoke the boss after I do and wonder why the healer got attacked right after.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Viable to solo stuff and run casual dungeons? Sure, darn near anything is viable. Will you be competive by any definitoin of the word? Absolutely not. You will also probably get kicked out of a lot of group finders if you queue as a DPS with a sword and board. Not judging, just stating what will happen. By all means give it a go and post your results for science. Haha

You could absolutely design a stam DK tank the puts out decent DPS, but in group stuff, you would be expected to hold aggro and fill the tank role first.

I should probably clarify I absolutely do not plan on doing Undaunted Pledges with this Character. I have my other more well built Mains for that. This one is meant as just a "for funzies" build that I still want to, for lack of a better term, "easily" get through Solo PvE content. I don't want this character just sitting in my list gathering dust cause I hate Dragonknights, I want to do something with it. But I know it's never going to be helpful in Group content.

I at least have a somewhat fair understanding of it's capability so far. I just spent the whole day yesterday in Cyrodiil grinding for Vigor for this Character and I noticed Tremorscale gives the character a nice little bit of Burst damage when it procs, although the problem is there isn't really a high damage ability to follow up with if the burst isn't enough.

God I wish there was a Stamina morph of Lava Whip.
  • Stannum
    Stannum
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can do so but your DPS will be too low compared to DW or DW/bow builds as you will not have many DoTs to stack. So with 1h&shield you'll have only 2 class DoTs and ransack\heroic slash spam and no any effective AoE. Using DW will add you blood craze pretty powerfull DoT and best AoE skill tornado. Also your spam is rapid stikes now that are great with heavy weave and also uses bonus from taumaturge CP wich must have for DK as DK has good DoTs. If you use DW BoW you'll add two more good DoTs to your build PI and hail. So S&b buils is very much weaker compared to DW/Bow.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stannum wrote: »
    You can do so but your DPS will be too low compared to DW or DW/bow builds as you will not have many DoTs to stack. So with 1h&shield you'll have only 2 class DoTs and ransack\heroic slash spam and no any effective AoE. Using DW will add you blood craze pretty powerfull DoT and best AoE skill tornado. Also your spam is rapid stikes now that are great with heavy weave and also uses bonus from taumaturge CP wich must have for DK as DK has good DoTs. If you use DW BoW you'll add two more good DoTs to your build PI and hail. So S&b buils is very much weaker compared to DW/Bow.

The point is to get as much use out of a Sword & Shield build as possible, I already have a DW & Bow build for my Nightblade. My DK is going to use a Sword and Shield regardless, I'm just asking for tips on how to get the most out of this limitation.

ZOS did say they were going to pay closer attention to Dragonknights in the Balance update. Wishful thinking for them to turn a few more class ability morphs into a Stamina version.

I could put Dual Wield on the back bar for DoT and AoE perhaps.
  • Moglijuana
    Moglijuana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're pretty limited to dps as S&B from the get go. The best thing you can do is have a large stamina pool + high damage set to compliment the built in tankiness S&B provides. Hulking Draugr + Hundings/Ravager/7th Legion/Clever Alchem all would compliment a S&B "dps" build. DW/S&B is a decent option since DK's get access to Major Brutality through a class skill...or you can just chug pots. If not, 2h/S&B is the way to go.
    Ps4 - PSN:jdmaya
    Dårth Måul (AD- Dunmer Mag DK) Legate
    Latest Vid:https://youtu.be/WZp_IdyrL6Q