Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Differences in dps

estrong20b14_ESO
I didn't know what else to call this. I understand that now a player can combat in any area and the enemies are supposed to be graded/matched to my level. How accurate is this? In one area, I was having much difficulty. I followed a dual wield player who was killing the monsters with three blows. That didn't seem balanced to me. I suppose it depends largely on your gear and skills, so I need to know what I'm doing wrong.

I'm playing Dragonknight, 2 hand weapons, heavy gear, and trying different skills and rotations. I do manage one on one, but getting more gives me problems.

And I'm curious why players are not putting ability pts into health. I'm wondering what my ability balance should be, now.
  • Ghostextechnica
    Yes monsters are scaled to your level. However, there are quite a few different factors in play.
    • If your gear doesn't match your level (i.e. if it's much lower) you'll be negatively impacted.e.g. your level 10 2 hand sword will be awesome if you are level 10, but if you are level 20 using a level 10 sword you'll do very low damage. Same with armour.
    • Are you wearing blue set gear from dungeons? They give a massive bonus to damage and survivability compared to random green and white items.
    • Unlocking passive skills makes a huge difference. Even when monsters are scaled, someone with a ton of passives from all their different skill trees giving them +40% stamina, +50% armor etc will be way way more powerful than someone without passives.
    • Are the skills you are using morphed and fully leveled? Again a big difference in damage and power of level I skills vs maxed ones.
    • Are you max level and have lots of Champion Points? After you hit the max level you unlock Champion Points (CP) which you can invest into even more passive bonuses that contribute a ton to damage and survivability. Note: your CP are shared across all characters. So you might have someone with a level 2 character, but they will be hugely stronger if they've unlocked a ton of CP on another high level character.

In general don't worry too much. When I started out I died to easy mobs and couldn't even finish some quests. By level 40ish you'll be taking on whole groups of mobs solo with ease (even though common sense says if scaling is in place it should be the same).

Oh regarding health. Pretty much noone puts points into health apart from tanks. If you want to be a dps class you'll have enough health from gear and skills later on, and you'll need the stamina to increase your damage and well, not run out of stamina.

Also, you won't want to hear this but if you're going optimal PVE dps with your DK you'll want medium armour and to dual wield with a bow on the back bar. You don't have to, but this spec is currently the highest dps in-game: http://alcasthq.com/venom/
    Edited by Ghostextechnica on January 27, 2017 2:07AM
  • estrong20b14_ESO
    Thanks, Ghostextechnica. I'm, only level 37, but have a level 50/ 60 Champion. I'm solo, so don't get the better gear from group dungeons.

The bow surprises me. I can try it. And why medium armor for a tank?
  • Ghostextechnica
    Oh if you're planning to be a tank then my advice on dps builds isn't quite as relevant. I don't have any tanks so will need someone else to sub in with tank advice!