Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Ways to lower lag/frame rate drop when doing trials?

jpeter88
jpeter88
✭✭✭
Hi there not sure if this is the right place but figured id try. I do a ton of trials and the problem i have is frame rate drop/lag issues to where its not unplayable, but it does affect my rotation seeing as all my abilities seem to fire off .5 seconds late or bar swaps not happening when they should. I was wondering if there are any tech savy people in here that could point me in the right direction. I know a lot has to do with the game but there are people i play with from different countries and they do not lag in the same trial on NA servers.

I just upped my internet to 100mb down and 10 up thinking this would help.....it didnt
i was thinking of buying a asus gaming router but i dont wanna dish out 300 bucks for it if its not gonna change anything.
my NAT is open, i run a static ip to my xbox and i am hard wired. my xbox is prolly 5 years old as some people say that might have something to do with it.

anyway thanks in advance for anyone who could shed some light on a better set up.

p.s. i have tried turning off all combat numbers, no pets, etc and nothing changes.
Edited by jpeter88 on January 23, 2017 4:18AM
561 Dark elf mDK
561 Redguard stam DK
561 Redguard stam sorc
561 khajiit stam nm
561 high elf mag nb
561 high elf mag sorc
561 bretan mag templar
561 imperial stam dk tank
561 imperial stam temp
  • DRXHarbinger
    DRXHarbinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nothing. They are just laggy as. Esp sanctum. Sanctum is horrible all over. Stone Atro in AA is just plain bad as well.
    PC Master Race

1001CP
    8 Flawless Toons, all Classes.
    Master Angler
    Dro-M'artha Destroyer (at last)
    Tamriel Hero
    Grand Overlord
    Every Skyshard
    Down With BOP!
  • jpeter88
    jpeter88
    ✭✭✭
    i just dont understand how people in my group will have zero lag or frame rate drop with worse net connections then i do. one good example is coming out of the portals in aa when you split the groups. when i teleport i have HUGE frame rate drop for like 20 seconds where i cant even tell whats going on. then after 20sec it goes to the usual bad but playable framerate drop.
    561 Dark elf mDK
    561 Redguard stam DK
    561 Redguard stam sorc
    561 khajiit stam nm
    561 high elf mag nb
    561 high elf mag sorc
    561 bretan mag templar
    561 imperial stam temp
  • Ballzy321
    Ballzy321
    ✭✭✭
    Leading upto and first boss hel ra worst for me
  • Syrani
    Syrani
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have been having the same issues for about a month and a half now. It's incredibly frustrating, and makes it very difficult to keep up any sort of a rotation. The game gets very choppy, abilities don't fire right away or at all, causing me to have to hit the button twice, weapon swap isn't very responsive, and sometimes animations don't show up right away, causing me to miss important mechanic clues. Running the trials currently feels like trying to run through waist deep mud. I have always had lag, as I am in the US playing on the EU server, but it has gotten a lot worse recently. I am getting very frustrated with this, and it's getting to the point where I am going to have to decide if I even want to keep playing. I considered a move to the US server, but I don't want to dump 3 years of gold, mats, gear, weapons, and progress and start from scratch.

There was a new NVIDIA driver released yesterday, so I am hoping that helps. If not, I need to decide if playing this game is worth the frustration.
  • raaphor
    raaphor
    ✭✭✭
    Last few runs I had troubles with the upper right boss in Helra vet, framerate drops to 1~5 fps. relogging even restarting the pc didn't help at all. I had to respawn at the start to let somebody else finish that part for me. Before that boss no problems and the rest of the trial the game is responsive too.
    EU/PC - 9 max level characters (DC)
    NA/PC - 2 characters (AD)
  • Daraugh
    Daraugh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turn off any addons you don't need, if you're using any. Master Merchant and Awesome Guild Store are especially bad going into trials. I don't use any mini map addon, but I've heard they chew through memory like candy.

Edit: oops, I just saw the OP is on xbox so my advice isn't useful there! :(
    Edited by Daraugh on January 26, 2017 9:04PM
    May all beings have happiness
    May they be free from suffering
    May they find the joy that has never known suffering
    May they be free from attachment and hatred
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Trials are terrible. BUT I've noticed the following:

- vMoL: Trash packs have terrible lag. The Forgotten has pretty awesome lag going on too at times. Twins are more or less fine as in its still possible to animation cancel and execute rotations almost okayISH. Rakkhat can get laggy at times, but its not terrible for the most part.
    - vSO. Terrible from start to finish, I don't remember the last time where I've managed to pull off my rotation with all perfect animation cancels and without missing a single light attack weave.
    - vHRC: is actually alright for the most part, but rotations are impossible to execute flawlessly. Upper boss can be pretty laggy sometimes. The Warrior is not too bad.
    - vAA: Trash packs are terrible. Storm Atronach is horrid, your game is literally a comic book. Stone Foundation Atronach thingy is also pretty bad, but its still possible to pull off a rough rotation. Valariel is alright, you can't see a bloody thing with all the bright lights and destro ults, but at least its possible to do your rotation without cringing (forget animation cancels tho). The Mage is one of the cleanest fights. Its actually probably the only fight where you can pull off perfect rotations and even sneak in some animation cancels.

TL;DR: on Xbox you can forget animation canceling anywhere outside of DPS tests because everything is a laggy mess where you can't even do your rotation properly on trash fights and most first bosses. Last bosses are alright, but nothing close to PC.

Actually, I've noticed in Alcast's videos on the PTS that he was always mentioning low ping and lag. However, the game in the video is much smoother than the one I play on Xbox. Also, I'm jealous of Andy S and Streak One's vMA clips, because first 600k score and second because the game is perfectly smooth.
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • jpeter88
    jpeter88
    ✭✭✭
    Trials are terrible. BUT I've noticed the following:

- vMoL: Trash packs have terrible lag. The Forgotten has pretty awesome lag going on too at times. Twins are more or less fine as in its still possible to animation cancel and execute rotations almost okayISH. Rakkhat can get laggy at times, but its not terrible for the most part.
    - vSO. Terrible from start to finish, I don't remember the last time where I've managed to pull off my rotation with all perfect animation cancels and without missing a single light attack weave.
    - vHRC: is actually alright for the most part, but rotations are impossible to execute flawlessly. Upper boss can be pretty laggy sometimes. The Warrior is not too bad.
    - vAA: Trash packs are terrible. Storm Atronach is horrid, your game is literally a comic book. Stone Foundation Atronach thingy is also pretty bad, but its still possible to pull off a rough rotation. Valariel is alright, you can't see a bloody thing with all the bright lights and destro ults, but at least its possible to do your rotation without cringing (forget animation cancels tho). The Mage is one of the cleanest fights. Its actually probably the only fight where you can pull off perfect rotations and even sneak in some animation cancels.

TL;DR: on Xbox you can forget animation canceling anywhere outside of DPS tests because everything is a laggy mess where you can't even do your rotation properly on trash fights and most first bosses. Last bosses are alright, but nothing close to PC.

Actually, I've noticed in Alcast's videos on the PTS that he was always mentioning low ping and lag. However, the game in the video is much smoother than the one I play on Xbox. Also, I'm jealous of Andy S and Streak One's vMA clips, because first 600k score and second because the game is perfectly smooth.

yes ive watched those vids and it makes me mad lol. I just bought a new asus ac3100 router that is made for gaming so imma see if that helps at all, im having trouble with my isp modem so i have to wait a week til i can use it. im hoping this will clean up some of the latency issues but we will see.if this doesnt work i think i might buy a new xbox and see if the one s with more ram/memory will help run the game smoother.
    561 Dark elf mDK
    561 Redguard stam DK
    561 Redguard stam sorc
    561 khajiit stam nm
    561 high elf mag nb
    561 high elf mag sorc
    561 bretan mag templar
    561 imperial stam temp