The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Lower Level Materials for Crafting

Toolzy
Toolzy
✭✭✭
So, I got a question. I'm only 3 weeks into this game and I have my BS at level 50 with all the passives maxed out. If I wanted to craft say an iron set or any other lower tiered set for an alt, how do I find the ores for them? Everywhere I go, it's mostly rubedite and voidstone. I haven't seen any of the lower ores.

Thanks!
Uh-oh, running out of breath, but I
Oh, I, I got stamina
Uh-oh, running now, I close my eyes
Well, oh, I got stamina
And uh-oh, I see another mountain to climb
But I, I, I got stamina

- Raevenhart (DK Nord Tank)
  • Darkestnght
    Darkestnght
    ✭✭✭✭
    One option is to farm for the ore on your lower leveled toon.
    Xbox NA - CP1300+
    Xbox EU - CP400+

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to Mat Farming in One Tamriel, where you have to build a character to farm a certain level of mats.

Mats are keyed to both the Character level and the Material Passive level of your character, in a 50/50 Mix. So, unless your character is low enough level to use Iron (1 to 14) and or your material passive is low enough for iron, L1 in this case, then you will never see Iron in the game.

You either need to respec your character removing the material passive skill points, or a roll a low level alt to farm the Iron.

You can also try buying the Iron in the guild kiosks.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Toolzy
    Toolzy
    ✭✭✭
    @Darkestnght and @Nestor

Ack! Somehow I had a feeling you guys would say that. So ores aren't dependent on their location like other MMO's. Oh well.

Thanks for the input!
    Oh, I, I got stamina
    Well, oh, I got stamina
    But I, I, I got stamina

• davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They used to be location-specific, but people complained. Then in One Tam, it became a handicap for vets to go to an old zone and only get crap they don't need.

Best practice is to level your craft passives to match your character level. If you're a level 32, spend the points to be able to make lvl 30 gear, then items in the world will be more targeted to you.

The handicap here is if you're doing writs. Low level writs reward fewer gold tempers. In update 13, they will not reward master writs...which will likely be worth tens of thousands the first month. If you do daily writs, thengold reward for three writs is $1800. That's enough to buy lower level stacks and keep you in gear. And if you get even one gold temper, that's worth enough to craft an entire blue armor set. This is the strategy I use...doing high level writs and just buying lower level mats.
  • Toolzy
    Toolzy
    ✭✭✭
    davey1107 wrote: »
    They used to be location-specific, but people complained. Then in One Tam, it became a handicap for vets to go to an old zone and only get crap they don't need.

Best practice is to level your craft passives to match your character level. If you're a level 32, spend the points to be able to make lvl 30 gear, then items in the world will be more targeted to you.

The handicap here is if you're doing writs. Low level writs reward fewer gold tempers. In update 13, they will not reward master writs...which will likely be worth tens of thousands the first month. If you do daily writs, thengold reward for three writs is $1800. That's enough to buy lower level stacks and keep you in gear. And if you get even one gold temper, that's worth enough to craft an entire blue armor set. This is the strategy I use...doing high level writs and just buying lower level mats.

Makes sense.
    Oh, I, I got stamina
    Well, oh, I got stamina
    But I, I, I got stamina