The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Need help managing Magicka for my Magplar

iBreatheBullets
The long and short of it is that I can't maintain my rotation during veteran dungeons for longer than a minute or two, after that point I am constantly having to heavy attack with a destro staff to try and maintain some magicka, but this obviously doesn't seem ideal. I'm at roughly cp280. My stats are as follows:

11300 Max Health - 16800 with a Solitude Salmon Millet Soup
32800 Max Magicka - 38500 with a Solitude Salmon Millet Soup
820 Magicka recovery, this ends up being 1300 when standing on my Channeled Focus. - Can raise the base to 1120 with a Witchmoter's Potent Brew at the cost of some max hp and magicka.
Spell Damage of 2043
Spell Critical of 57%
Shadow and Thief Mundus Stones

I drink max level pots with Magicka restore, Major Intellect, and Major Sorcery (I don't need Major Prophecy as i'm double-baring Inner Light)

My gear is currently:
5 TBS, yellow quality, divine traited, max magicka enchantments, heavy chest, medium pants, rest are light.
2 Grothdarr, both light, both max magicka enchants, only purple quality due to the currently crappy trait rolls (head is prosp. shoulders are impen.)
3 Willpower jewellery, all purple, all arcane, all with max spell power enchants.
1 Destro fire staff, max fire damage enchant, sharpened, yellow quality.
1 Destro fire staff, max beserker enchant, sharpened, yellow quality.

Additionally I have the option of swapping the second destro staff with double Torug's Swords, both sharpened, one fire enchant and one beserker enchant, yellow quality. Though I don't often do this because my constant need for heavy attacking requires staves on both bars.

Bar 1: Puncturing Sweep, Unstable Wall of Fire, Harness Magicka, Reflective Light, Inner Light, Shooting Star Ultimate
Bar 2: Chanelled Focus, Ritual of Retribution, Blazing Spear, Radiant Oppression, Inner Light, Solar Prison Ultimate.

My rotation should be somewhat self explanatory if you've seen any of Deltia's Omega build. Any advice on how I can improve on my Magicka sustain would be greatly appreciated.

Best Answer

• Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is simple, just use the max health/ magic regen food, gives 5k health and 467 regen. The Witchmoter's Potent Brew drops your health much to low for most of the harder content in the game.

That is more then enough for a DPS, till you actually learn how to manage resources. Usually healers ought to be running orbs, make sure you hit them on cool down and they help a lot.
    Edited by Lightspeedflashb14_ESO on January 25, 2017 4:03AM
    Options
    Answer ✓
  • AzuraKin
    AzuraKin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cant help you if you going for dps templar, me personally i run 2 templars, one 2200 regen takes a very long time to runout of resources, depending on what skills i am using, and one 4500 which only runs out if i spamming purge or balls of healing. but i know they also dont pull the greatest dps at those numbers. things may change with upcoming patch with all damage returning 400 magicka every second.
    v160 spellsword (nightblade)
    v160 restoration archmage (Templar)
    v160 battlemage (sorcerer)
    v160 restoration archmage (Templar)
    v160 warrior (DragonKnight)
    v160 assassin (nightblade)
    v160 swordsman (sorcerer)
    v160 spellsword (nightblade)
    Options
  • iBreatheBullets
    It is simple, just use the max health/ magic regen food, gives 5k health and 467 regen. The Witchmoter's Potent Brew drops your health much to low for most of the harder content in the game.

That is more then enough for a DPS, till you actually learn how to manage resources. Usually healers ought to be running orbs, make sure you hit them on cool down and they help a lot.

Never occured to me to use food like that. Do you know any particular recipes off the top of your head so I know what to look for?
    Options
  • Liofa
    Liofa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you did some kind of sustain test by yourself and failed , that is normal . In a decent group , healer will provide Elemental Drain and you will get some orbs from tanks and healers . Never lower your DPS for any reason unless the game wants you to . Always go for maximum DPS . Doing a heavy destro attack once in a while will result in more DPS than going for magicka regen food or magicka regen enchants .
    Options
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The recipe I am taking about is called orzorga's red frothgar, you can buy it from the guild stores or do the quests in wrothgar yourself to get it.
    Edited by Lightspeedflashb14_ESO on January 25, 2017 4:13AM
    Options
  • iBreatheBullets
    Liofa wrote: »
    If you did some kind of sustain test by yourself and failed , that is normal . In a decent group , healer will provide Elemental Drain and you will get some orbs from tanks and healers . Never lower your DPS for any reason unless the game wants you to . Always go for maximum DPS . Doing a heavy destro attack once in a while will result in more DPS than going for magicka regen food or magicka regen enchants .

I understand the need to weave will actually help dps, especially when using the beserker enchantment, but this was in a 4-man situation, and I was needing to heavy attack CONSTANTLY, like 2-3 times in a row just to even out my magicka expenditure.
    Options
  • Liofa
    Liofa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Liofa wrote: »

I understand the need to weave will actually help dps, especially when using the beserker enchantment, but this was in a 4-man situation, and I was needing to heavy attack CONSTANTLY, like 2-3 times in a row just to even out my magicka expenditure.

I just understand that you are proccing Berserker enchant with Heavy attacks . So , no light attack weaving ? This may be the reason you are running out of Magicka . If Elemental Drain is up , it gives more than 400 Magicka per light attack which means almost 800 Magicka Recovery if your weaving is on point .

Btw , it doesn't matter if you are doing 4-man content or trials . You can (and should) have Elemental Drain and orbs from healer . Popping one blue orb while fighting trash will give you insane amount of Magicka . Try that next time . If healer is not doing the things I said , it is pretty normal that you are running out of Magicka .
    Options
  • Rev Rielle
    Rev Rielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, If you're still having a lot of trouble with magicka sustain I'd get rid of The Shadow Mundus (Critical Damage) and align yourself with The Atronach (Increased Magicka Regeneratoin), as well as ensuring you have all your Thief Champion Points under the The Lord, Magician (Reduced Magicka Cost).

If it is still a problem; I'd also consider perhaps getting a set of light robes and leggings, to further improve your magicka costs (Evocation), and increase recovery (Recovery) via your light armour passives.
    If you can be anything, be kind.
    Options
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Never occured to me to use food like that. Do you know any particular recipes off the top of your head so I know what to look for?

Witch mother's brew can be used,if your health is below 16k put a health enchant on one of your armor pcs.
    Options
  • psychotic13
    psychotic13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use elemental blockade instead, gives a bigger radius and this helps with the passive in the destro tree that restores I think like 3k magicka when you kill someone with a destro ability. Against trash you should have no sustain problems with that up.

Your sustain will also only get better as your CPs progress and you can spend more

If you're still really struggling with magicka you could always farm the lich set, that's what I've put on my Templar (pvp not PvE though) cause I find it a lot harder to sustain than my Sorcerer or Nightblade.
    Options
  • iBreatheBullets
    Use elemental blockade instead, gives a bigger radius and this helps with the passive in the destro tree that restores I think like 3k magicka when you kill someone with a destro ability. Against trash you should have no sustain problems with that up.

Your sustain will also only get better as your CPs progress and you can spend more

If you're still really struggling with magicka you could always farm the lich set, that's what I've put on my Templar (pvp not PvE though) cause I find it a lot harder to sustain than my Sorcerer or Nightblade.

Why Blockade? I hear everyone swears by Unstable. I used to run blockade but felt like I was going to get lynched if I didn't swap to Unstable.
    Options
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Why Blockade? I hear everyone swears by Unstable. I used to run blockade but felt like I was going to get lynched if I didn't swap to Unstable.

on a temp, unstable lines up better with reflective light, as both reflective and unstable are 6 seconds, so it is ways to get the most out of it, so it is up to you if you want the more damage, which unstable is, IF you let it blow up all three times, all the time, or have the larger area and longer time, which syncs up better with liquid lighting of the sorcs and burning ember of the DKs. i acutally never heard of anyone using unstable till Deltias video on temp dps, so you saying you were going to get lynched if you didn't swap is strange to me.
    Options