Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Is it lore breaking to role play a civilized goblin?

bilka04
bilka04
Soul Shriven
Hello all!
I am rather new to The Elder Ecrolls Online and I cant wait to jump into the roleplay because that is ELDER SCROLLS game! :D
Anyway I was thinking to make a goblin assassin character (skinny and short orc) but I am not sure if that isn't breaking any game lore. I can't remember of any goblins that were accepted in the society and/or of any goblins that are reasonable and somewhat intelligent. My backup plan is my character to be a half goblin but again not sure if it is alright to create a new race here. That sounds even more lore breaking. And my third option is to roleplay him in the wilds, never enter cities. A deserter from the clan. But that would kinda ruin my leveling and pretty much most social contacts that I may create otherwise :P

Thanks in advance for your responds and have a great day :)
  • Jim_Pipp
    Jim_Pipp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While goblins are generally despised, there are examples of intelligent goblins who can talk and make deals with the other races of Tamriel. In an ideal roleplay community you may be attacked or at least challenged to dual by more racist characters (especially the altmer who keep goblins as slaves), but more fair-minded citizens may be willing to let you be.

FYI - there is a really good goblin polymorph (a costume that completely transforms you into a goblin) available for free from quite an early quest in Stonefalls.

You quite often see players wearing the polymorph, so it gives the impression that there are some goblins tolerated in cities.
    #1 tip (Re)check your graphics settings periodically - especially resolution.
  • Jim_Pipp
    Jim_Pipp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    p.s. the lore got retconned, and goblins and orcs are not related anymore. Orcs are a kind of elf.
    Edited by Jim_Pipp on January 9, 2017 12:06PM
    #1 tip (Re)check your graphics settings periodically - especially resolution.
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    There was a Riekling chief in the single-player games who could speak language understandable by the player and gave you a few quests. You're probably fine.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works
  • Druachan
    Druachan
    ✭✭✭
    Jim_Pipp wrote: »
    p.s. the lore got retconned, and goblins and orcs are not related anymore. Orcs are a kind of elf.

My altmer has gone for therapy on reading this

:)
    Say please, before you AAAAAaaaarrrgghhh at me.
  • Druachan
    Druachan
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say you're fine there. As they say you might experience distrust and outright hostility from some people's and less from others but then that's what the role play is for. Course your character may very well be a disreputable and foul creature anyway :).
  • Ghettokid
    Ghettokid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Druachan wrote: »

Your altmer will go to hospital next.

Orc
    Edited by Ghettokid on January 24, 2017 7:38PM
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, sounds interesting. Go for it. Just be prepared to prove your worth to a lot of uppity elves. :)

And as @Jim_Pipp said, go for the goblin polymorph in Stonefalls for maximum roleplay effect. It's about in the middle of the map, a little southwest of Ebonheart, and while the transformation requires a specific item take up a slot in your inventory, I believe you can keep using the item after the quest is completed.
    Edited by BlackSparrow on January 24, 2017 7:38PM
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Do the Goblin's Affection quest in Stonefalls. I don't remember the exact location, but I believe it's middle west in the zone, near a wayshrine. You don't even need to complete the quest, just start it to get the transformation gem.

After, I recommend doing the questline for the Auridon public dungeon, Toothmaul Gully, for some insight into goblin culture.

As an aside, you can also do Goblin Marq in Stros M'kai, north west, for some flavor of a non-goblin inserting himself into a tribe.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Druachan
    Druachan
    ✭✭✭
    Ghettokid wrote: »
    Druachan wrote: »

Your altmer will go to hospital next.

Orc

oh yeah! lol, I am kidding, I love orcs, well maybe love is too strong a word.